Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaceful protestors arrested

Options

Comments

When will I get to stop hearing about water charges :(

I'm positively getting sick of it and I highly doubt these 'peaceful protesters' were any way peaceful. I have seen so many videos of these 'peaceful protesters' acting the scumbag and then shouting peaceful protest when they get a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

heres a mad idea, maybe its a good idea to pay for water per usage, but i guess we would need meters for that

na scarp that, bad idea

sorry lost my mind there for a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Why not let them install the meters, and then either remove them yourself or just don't pay the bill? Instead of terrifying the older people in estates who are too scared to tell the people protesting outside their house that they want the meters in. Yes, this happens. People are being bullied into the anti Irish Water brigade.

If the protestors are so intent on not paying, well then let the meters be installed and refuse to pay. Not everyone is against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

fxotoole wrote: »
    I would point out the irony but I fear it'd be lost on you.

(It would)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Why not let them install the meters, and then either remove them yourself or just don't pay the bill? Instead of terrifying the older people in estates who are too scared to tell the people protesting outside their house that they want the meters in. Yes, this happens. People are being bullied into the anti Irish Water brigade.

If the protestors are so intent on not paying, well then let the meters be installed and refuse to pay. Not everyone is against it.

Also depending on the detail in the contract between Irish Water and the Meter Installing crews (Denis O'Brien), obstructing and delaying the installation will most likely result in Denis O'Brien 'creaming' more money from Irish Water by way of delay/disruption claims.........oh but I forgot Denis O'Brien actually owns Irish Water.........?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Where do you think you're going with your common sense? Don't you know this is the revolution 6480 people in Ireland have been waiting for, and you all must be involved.
    Next you'll be wanting a democracy?

just let IS in lads and be done with it. the human race probably needs a bit of culling anyway

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    just let IS in lads and be done with it. the human race probably needs a bit of culling anyway

Bumping this one............

More arrests yesterday, they (peaceful protesters) have moved to Bishopsfield on Williamstown road, I passed by there yesterday and there seemed to be a lot of gardai at the entrance to the estate, it also looks like things turned even nastier for the Irish Water contractors with some of their machinery being burned out somewhere near the Lacken Rd according to WLR news These metering contractors are in for a hard time it seems and they have only started. As I said above, I'm not aware of the details in the contract they have with Irish Water but delays to disruption by cause 'protesters' will probably end up resulting in cost over-runs and contractor being compensated for works that couldn't be completed and could result in making guys like Denis O'Brien even wealthier for doing nothing, should the peaceful protesters not concentrate on 'mass non-payment' of bills as opposed to actual meter installation???

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

saw that story about machinery burned out earlier - lucky nobody was injured

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

What, that was peaceful;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    What, that was peaceful;)

Yep. They were shouting 'peaceful protest' the whole time.

Is this what it's coming to? Setting fire to machinery to stop installations? Surely extremely peaceful... It's getting out of hand, and that arson attack will do nothing for the anti brigade, but will certainly make the pro brigade even larger. People are slowly going against the Irish Water protestors, and no wonder. Who would want to be associated with scum who burn out machinery to make a point? What's next? Assaults?

And as for that video from Bishopsfield yesterday, it's done nothing but harm the anti brigade. The Gardaí were extremely soft handed again. It's going to get to a stage where the government will have to increase the overtime budget for the installation of meters, because it's becoming dangerous for the contractors who only want to do a job and have no connection to IW other than being contracted.

That video showed "peaceful" protestors for what they are, people who break the law to get their point across. Blocking vehicles from going anywhere is illegal under Road Traffic legislation. Shouting abuse can be construed as Section 2 Assault (see Section 2.1(b) - fear of assault).

As someone said above, why stop them installing? Why not organise mass non payment? It's easier, safer and sends a better message, because the protestors are showing themselves up as scum at the moment (not all, but like the Gardaí no one will remember the good).

I can't wait for them to come to my estate, because the protesters can fup right off if they think they're stopping it being installed in my privately owned property!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

... quotes got garbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Should be interesting once installations move to some of the more working class estates like St. Johns Park, Ballybeg and Larchville!

There will be some pretty interesting videos coming out of those installations...

I just don't get it. The protesters are mostly not from the area they are protesting in. They claim the locals in that estate are with them, but i've spoken to a few of the locals, and quite a lot of them are scared of the protesters. They agree with them because they are afraid of what will happen if they say they don't agree with them.

I think a lot of the protesters should be arrested for their spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stupid ****ers - the flies of the thug element will always gather round this sort of Sh1t

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

reni10 wrote: »
    Should be interesting once installations move to some of the more working class estates like St. Johns Park, Ballybeg and Larchville!

There will be some pretty interesting videos coming out of those installations...

Dunmore Road snob.

reni10 wrote: »

more than welcome at my house. probably will be mayhem though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

When I heard about the arson attack I just thought another arson attack in Waterford!

How many is that now?

It's the same in alot of places where the protestors are not from the area where the installations are happening are from. Just look at Dublin says No or Edenmore Says No on Facebook, there's usually an appeal from one of the members for more protestors to go to such an area as an installation is happening. It's not just Dublin either as I know in Wicklow the protestors at some of the estates where not local.

I actually think there's a majority of people who are actually in favour of water metering, well when it was actually metered, but the anti water people are just alot more vocal.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I actually think there's a majority of people who are actually in favour of water metering, well when it was actually metered

im one of these people. should be interesting when all this rocks up to my house

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im one of these people. should be interesting when all this rocks up to my house

Can you elaborate as to what you mean by interesting, will you be out telling the 'peaceful protesters' to leave your estate or will you be parking your car over the location for the meter following instruction from them?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Can you elaborate as to what you mean by interesting, will you be out telling the 'peaceful protesters' to leave your estate or will you be parking your car over the location for the meter following instruction from them?

take another look at posts 111 and 112. the answer be there to some degree but to answer your question, we ll cross that bridge when it comes but i am expecting holy war here

According to local radio 7 peaceful protesters arrested today in Ballygunner.......makes one wonder how peaceful it was.......I'm sure it must have been the contractors men as usual that were the aggressors with the 'peaceful protesters' merely walking around with banners/placards....Gardai arrive and don't believe the protesters resulting in them being arrested

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

John Cloono and the Clonettes

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

PEACEFUL POST!

PEEEAAAAACCCEEEFFUUUULLLL PPPOOOOOOSSSSTTTTTT!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

John Cloono and the Clonettes

Michael Noonans band of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Road-Hog wrote: »
    According to local radio 7 peaceful protesters arrested today in Ballygunner.......makes one wonder how peaceful it was.......I'm sure it must have been the contractors men as usual that were the aggressors with the 'peaceful protesters' merely walking around with banners/placards....Gardai arrive and don't believe the protesters resulting in them being arrested

Just watched the video of the arrests and a part from the odd swear word in was extremely peaceful , The protesters when very peaceful and there was no resistant or anything like that.
    Also so people are not jumping to conclusions we are talking about middle age to mature protesters here and not hoodie wearing ,dutch gold drinking types ,
    The reason it seemed they were arrested was they were behind the barriers and refused to move ,seem like a planned action to me ,something that they thought about before hand and decided to carry out .

ok Here I jump to a conclusion /offer my opinion
    I can't help but think that yesterday's action were a direct response to the arson attacks the night before and someone in the super's office was a bit embarrassed or something because there was a hell of a lot of Gardaí there.

Maybe your residence "member of the force" poster could offer his view.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

you could have a point there - either way, looks bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Just watched the video of the arrests and a part from the odd swear word in was extremely peaceful , The protesters when very peaceful and there was no resistant or anything like that.
    Also so people are not jumping to conclusions we are talking about middle age to mature protesters here and not hoodie wearing ,dutch gold drinking types ,
    The reason it seemed they were arrested was they were behind the barriers and refused to move ,seem like a planned action to me ,something that they thought about before hand and decided to carry out .

ok Here I jump to a conclusion /offer my opinion
    I can't help but think that yesterday's action were a direct response to the arson attacks the night before and someone in the super's office was a bit embarrassed or something because there was a hell of a lot of Gardaí there.

Maybe your residence "member of the force" poster could offer his view.

I agree with you. It must be great for Irish Water to have such access to the gardai considering how difficult it is to get someone in Ballybricken to answer the phone when they've phoning up to report something as was pointed out by resident after resident at my estate's recent AGM.

As regards the arson I'm very suspicious of who could be behind it.

Advertisement