Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How rare is it to see a badger?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I see them almost weekly at night. Had one come at me once but totally by accident. He was running wildly & blindly...

An old forester told me they used to carry sticks they could snap if badger caught their ankle as they wouldn't let go until they heard bone snap...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I saw 2 badgers fighting one night. They were locked into each other and screeching like mad (I reckon the banshee noise came from badgers).

I live in rural Galway and see them fairly regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Saw one about a year ago at Killiney dart station, very scary actually,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just on the European and American Badgers ; a number of years ago the Irish Times produced a beautiful, glossy, colour wall chart of Irish Mammals and included a copy with every paper. It was a wonderful educational tool, except that they had a lovely picture of an American Badger. An embarrassing and expensive error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

pburns wrote: »
    I see them almost weekly at night. Had one come at me once but totally by accident. He was running wildly & blindly...

An old forester told me they used to carry sticks they could snap if badger caught their ankle as they wouldn't let go until they heard bone snap...

There seems to have been many stories of Badgers not letting go until they hear a bone break, the most popular one I heard from old fellas when I was growing up was put coal cinders in your boots and when the badger hears them being crushed he'll then let go of his bite.

Imagine walking around the countryside with cinders in your wellies on the off chance a badger jumps out and bites your ankle. Jesus fellas must have been fairly paranoid.

Another one I remember was a badgers jaw can't be dislocated because of it's unique construction.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,162 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Saw a badger strike a dog once, years ago, blew his lower jaw off.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Charming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,162 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

New Home wrote: »
    Charming.

Certainly not without its down side.

Lots of talk g about whether they will keep going till they snap a leg I do not know that but they are tough creatures and to not be interfered with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

some studies suggest infected faeces and urine in pasture carries TB.

from badgers alone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I saw an Irish one once, in a garden near Herbert Park, but it was closer to the US photo than the European one - definitely more brown than black.
    Just on the European and American Badgers ; a number of years ago the Irish Times produced a beautiful, glossy, colour wall chart of Irish Mammals and included a copy with every paper. It was a wonderful educational tool, except that they had a lovely picture of an American Badger. An embarrassing and expensive error.

I was thinking it's a shame about the American badger in this . Those pull out posters are nice and it sounds lovely apart from that .

We have the same species as the UK, is that right ?

You could never have had Wind in the Willows with American animals ....
    There seems to have been many stories of Badgers not letting go until they hear a bone break, the most popular one I heard from old fellas when I was growing up was put coal cinders in your boots and when the badger hears them being crushed he'll then let go of his bite.

Imagine walking around the countryside with cinders in your wellies on the off chance a badger jumps out and bites your ankle. Jesus fellas must have been fairly paranoid.

I had a good cackle at this...wished I hadn't read beyond your comment , though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Stigura

Seve OB wrote: »
    Apparently if they bite you they will not let go, kinda lock jaw. They wait to hear a snap of breaking bone. You are supposed to snap a branch or twig to get them to release. Apparently anyway.
    Urban myth.
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Though that was Beaver's
    pburns wrote: »

All great stuff :D Interestingly, I was given the exact same sort of insight, half a century ago, as gods honest truth, by a man who must have learned it half a century before telling me.

Only, his version centred on Otters! He said how Otter Hunters had a special pouch made into the front of their boots. And they'd fill it with charcoal / coke / cinders, what ever. Because the otter would bite till it heard / felt bone break.

As said; 'Urban Myth'.

And, as anyone with a grain of sense would now know; The only animals whose jaws lock, when they bite, are 'Bull' terriers and ferrets! :P

if in doubt? please use a metal detector to discern the iron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Stigura wrote: »
    All great stuff :D Interestingly, I was given the exact same sort of insight, half a century ago, as gods honest truth, by a man who must have learned it half a century before telling me.

Only, his version centred on Otters! He said how Otter Hunters had a special pouch made into the front of their boots. And they'd fill it with charcoal / coke / cinders, what ever. Because the otter would bite till it heard / felt bone break.

As said; 'Urban Myth'.

And, as anyone with a grain of sense would now know; The only animals whose jaws lock, when they bite, are 'Bull' terriers and ferrets! :P

if in doubt? please use a metal detector to discern the iron.

Yea lots of those myths still being told in modern times. Like bats getting tangled in your hair, and rats/Mink going for your neck if you corner them lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wibago

I have a badger skull that's missing a canine and the center teeth between the top and bottom canines. Is there something to use to make fairly realistic-looking teeth? It's a Honey Badger, so I'm not sure if American Badger teeth would even be big enough for replacements.

Advertisement