Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Full Ironman in cork next year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dong

Tier1 entries already sold out....

What does this do to the price for tier 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

dong wrote: »
    What does this do to the price for tier 2?

Moves the price up to 515 plus 8%.tbh commiting to an ironman creates a lot of expense during the year so getting tier 1,2 3 or 4 doesn't really make much difference. Either way it's the cheapest ironman you'll get to do, given that you don't have to travel abroad.

I'm doing it in Barcelona and that's relatively easy to get to but the costs do add up, flight, bike shipping etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Whats the accommodation availability like around Youghal? See people on Facebook trying to book a couple of nights and getting quotes of €1000+

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

Just did the bike route this morning in order to decide whether I would enter r not. Still undecided
    . Some of the roads a real joke and borderline dangerous. Worst is the whole of the East ferry but that mainly passable but the section from dungormurney to mount uniacke is covered in pot holes and these on the downhills. Everywhere else is ok ish.
    The council better get working on them.
    But the hill in youghal is something else. Average 11 but when max must be around 20. At least it's good road and relatively short!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Whats the accommodation availability like around Youghal? See people on Facebook trying to book a couple of nights and getting quotes of €1000+

Lots of places very reasonable in West Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Say what you like about Ironman but we Irish can teach them a thing or two about gouging people for a quick profit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

I took a spin today up Windmill hill....WOW....I'll be going backwards :-) You'd need a tractor for the road where you turn towards Mount Uniacke but no doubt they will work on that. Its the most technical part of the course so they will have to make sure the surface is right. Its over a year away though so they have plenty of time. My thinking is though that they will leave it until after winter next year. Discourage 100s of cyclist being on it all over the summer months and then have it right for the race. Otherwise we may need a mountain bike

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

So any predictions to how quickly this could sell out or will it sell out???

Doing my first 70.3 this July down in Waterville and would like to have this under my belt before committing to the big one...

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

NewCorkLad wrote:
    Doing my first 70.3 this July down in Waterville and would like to have this under my belt before committing to the big one...

Not much talk so far today about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

Well there's one place less available now :)

• Advertisement

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    So any predictions to how quickly this could sell out or will it sell out???

Depends how many slots they have. Would be mildly surprised if it sold out at all, would be very very surprised if it sold out before Christmas.

Depends how many slots they have. Would be mildly surprised if it sold out at all, would be very very surprised if it sold out before Christmas.

I'd imagine it'll take a while to sell out, if at all. I only entered this early so I could pay in instalments (one instalment roughly equals a Hardman entry :().

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

griffin100 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it'll take a while to sell out, if at all. I only entered this early so I could pay in instalments (one instalment roughly equals a Hardman entry :().

You could always do the Hardman as well next year Griffin100 so as not to miss out.

I was looking at Hardman there a week or so ago. They I remembered what the bike route was and swiftly closed the tab. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I was looking at Hardman there a week or so ago. They I remembered what the bike route was and swiftly closed the tab. :)

90% flat with 2 only two climbs of note??? :D

You could always do the Hardman as well next year Griffin100 so as not to miss out.

The only reason ive entered Cork is because it's early year and will keep me training over the Winter. All going well I fully intend to do Hardman in 2019 for the 5th time.

@ RQ the Hardman bike route is fine, about 1200m of climbing over 175kms with only 2 'big' climbs and a few drags.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

The only reason ive entered Cork is because it's early year and will keep me training over the Winter. All going well I fully intend to do Hardman in 2019 for the 5th time.

I should have asked....are you doing the Hardman this year? If my memory serves me right, you did the Hardman in 2012 when I did it, so just curious about 2018?

I should have asked....are you doing the Hardman this year? If my memory serves me right, you did the Hardman in 2012 when I did it, so just curious about 2018?

Not doing Hardman this year, just back running after almost a year and s half out injured so will take it easy run wise for a good while.

@ RQ the Hardman bike route is fine, about 1200m of climbing over 175kms with only 2 'big' climbs and a few drags.

Bit short!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Bit short!

Im Nice is 173 k amd nobody has ever complaimed its short

I mean the only race of the ironman brand and challenge brand you can trust in distance is freankfurt they are always very upfront how long course is I think this year 175 and last year 185.
    The rest... roth has never ever been 180 Austria hardly ever. Copenhagen I think has been 180 once.
    The only certyfied bike course I have ever heard of in Europe used to be podersdorf
    At the same time iam totally cool if hilly courses like the lost sheep are short it reflects the time of a flat course and hasless drafting advantage.

• Advertisement

Ah Peter, I kid. But I'd rather it be long than 'short'. IM Italy was 185
    Well so they said I didn't make it to the end so can't confirm :pac: but it was 92/93 km at half way
    Assumed Hardman was hillier than that though.

The first year of Hardman they made us do a detour up a side road for 2.5km and back again to make the 180km. They haven't done this since. The ROK is what it is.

Edit - found my bike profile from 2011 - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/110764795

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Ah Peter, I kid. But I'd rather it be long than 'short'. IM Italy was 185
    Well so they said I didn't make it to the end so can't confirm :pac: but it was 92/93 km at half way
    Assumed Hardman was hillier than that though.

well if you listen to people that do the ring of kerry cycle its the most hilly bike ride in the world ( lol) the reality is that its not bad at all

and I have to say i had it hillier in memory when i had cycled it the last time (when i was 22 years old)

i know the hardman is not for everybody but its the real ironman spirit that ironman had for the first 10 or so years . and i think its the perfect antidope to the colourman race style ironman is now . and i think if anybody fancies the norseman than hardman will be just as nice and so close.

btw i do not get commision from hardman . when i re read it i wasnt so sure for a moment. and yes iam still sad tri an mhi half is gone as it was another favorite of mine. and iam not worried aobut the survival of ironman brand at the moment. but i worry that the real good races with charracter die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Thinking of signing up to Cork IM for next year but money is tight a the moment. Any rough ideas as to how long I will have to enter? I am assuming it's not going to sell out this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Cona wrote:
    Thinking of signing up to Cork IM for next year but money is tight a the moment. Any rough ideas as to how long I will have to enter? I am assuming it's not going to sell out this month?

Id say you'll be grand until Christmas.

Failing that use the installment plan. €185 * 3 = $$$

If anyone has done the bike route ..would they add the profile of the course on here please..thanks

If anyone has done the bike route ..would they add the profile of the course on here please..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

butrasgali wrote: »

http://www.strava.com/routes/13789376
    strava link to route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nugget80

Hi all. I've signed up but looking for a bit of advice.

Currently focusing on Dublin marathon and then plan on focusing on this in December.

Plan is to include 2no. 2k swims and a 40. - 50km on a Saturday instead of the run in my program. I'll have my long run then on a Sunday along with the usual 3 runs during the week.

My question is when should I focus on the IM as I don't want to burn our etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭the beerhunter

nok2008 wrote: »

nice work mapping that out, used it myself for a tilt at the lap last monday.

for any who slavishly follows their gps, worth noting the couple of presumeably accidental wrong turn/u-turn combos. and did you actually go up that rough track through a farm at monagoul??? i just stayed on the main road and rejoined a few hundred metres later.

Advertisement