Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carlow GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Well done to Carlow CBS on reaching the All Ireland SFC B schools final.

Some very good players in that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fadofado

see turlough is in trouble for abusing ref. after Offaly game. Lookin at 12 week ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

fadofado wrote: »
    see turlough is in trouble for abusing ref. after Offaly game. Lookin at 12 week ban.

Turlough will be grand he can still give all the advice etc. Craig Kearney also got the same 12 week ban and that will be a huge loss for the Laois game. His kick outs have been central to us doing well.
    Broderick also touch & go for Laois is massive too. We need him back, our best scoring forward and a reliable free taker.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Turlough will be grand he can still give all the advice etc. Craig Kearney also got the same 12 week ban and that will be a huge loss for the Laois game. His kick outs have been central to us doing well.
    Broderick also touch & go for Laois is massive too. We need him back, our best scoring forward and a reliable free taker.

You serious about Kearney? Christ that's a big blow! Molloy is not up to it at this level, his kicks out are terrible. I think we're in trouble anyway. Our backs are being found out against better forwards and laois have good forwards.Ledger is not pacey enough for CB. in modern game. Can't turn. Even if Broderick is back he ain't gonna be match ready. we need gahan, J. murphy, big brendan, hayden all playing out of their skin and broderick back to have any hope against laois IMO.

Great achievement from Carlow CBS on winning the All Ireland B.

Very well done lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Great result for Carlow.

Brendan Murphy not available for the championship, that's a massive blow. He's off to America for the summer.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/economic-reality-forces-carlow-s-brendan-murphy-to-the-us-1.2185036

Yeah, massive blow. Really can't afford to be losing players of his calibre.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Brendan Murphy not available for the championship, that's a massive blow. He's off to America for the summer.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/economic-reality-forces-carlow-s-brendan-murphy-to-the-us-1.2185036

Did he leave the army?

• Advertisement

Did he leave the army?

Looks that way. Played Sigerson Cup football for Carlow IT this year also.

That's the second time in a couple of years that Murphy has done this. He may be a great player but he is no use to the team with his attitude. Sure they're playing Laois on the 16th of May. College won't even be over then so the "going to the states" BS doesn't even stack up.

Very poor by hurlers yesterday, but no surprise really. When you have lads out drinking only few days before game what do you expect. No respect for the jersey i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Very poor by hurlers yesterday, but no surprise really. When you have lads out drinking only few days before game what do you expect. No respect for the jersey i'm afraid.

Where did you hear about players out drinking? Did you see for yourself? Bad form if true!

Is the current Carlow team relatively young? Surely the elder lads are getting a hold of the situation? Awful shame considering they could have just as easily been a 1B team this year. Is there perhaps a bit of disillusionment with the county board?

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Where did you hear about players out drinking? Did you see for yourself? Bad form if true!

saw them myself. had been told that it was going on but was doubtful, unfortunately I witnessed it myself last weekend.

• Advertisement

Is the current Carlow team relatively young? Surely the elder lads are getting a hold of the situation? Awful shame considering they could have just as easily been a 1B team this year. Is there perhaps a bit of disillusionment with the county board?

Eddie Coady is mid 30's. Rest are 27 or under. six or seven only 22-23 mark.Eddie was prob. best performer on Sunday. What is missing in Carlow (in both codes) is real hunger, that was evident again on Sunday when the game was there for the taking. Hurling wise carlow were superior but don't have it in the guts.

In this instance I would be loathe to blame the CO.board. They have done their bit this year. I would have issues with management ok. They are still thinking like club men. Evidence of this was obvious on Sunday.

Eddie Coady is mid 30's. Rest are 27 or under. six or seven only 22-23 mark.Eddie was prob. best performer on Sunday. What is missing in Carlow (in both codes) is real hunger, that was evident again on Sunday when the game was there for the taking. Hurling wise carlow were superior but don't have it in the guts.

In this instance I would be loathe to blame the CO.board. They have done their bit this year. I would have issues with management ok. They are still thinking like club men. Evidence of this was obvious on Sunday.

Your dead right about the club team mentality. When Carlow have come up against good opposition this season, they look off the pace and not as sharp as the opposition. Too many lads not working hard enough either and leaving free men.

As for the lads out drinking, I'd 100% believe it as I've seen it myself a few days before the Westmeath game in the League.

Another disappointing defeat at the weekend. Can't really complain, Laois were the better side and the 10 minutes after half made the difference. Fair play to the lads for not giving in and been able to claw it back from 10 to 3 at the end. Need a big performance against Antrim to save themselves, as relegation would be a huge blow.

Laois again on Saturday, this time in the football. Broderick back is a huge plus, but no Gahan and Murhy are blows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Well that was truly rough

Laois to their credit were superior in every aspect. Can't say any Carlowman won his own battle against his man.

Carlow football is in big trouble lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

I think it's time we forget about football at snr level and drop back to junior. In div 4 and looking like never getting out of it how do we expect to compete in the Leinster championship at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Just watched the highlights tonight, is that Carlow's best team?

They looked appalling, players a mile off the pace, not marking, almost giving up at times.

Time for a rethink of the All-Ireland structure. Perhaps the round robin in Leinster will help?

dartsfan wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights tonight, is that Carlow's best team?

They looked appalling, players a mile off the pace, not marking, almost giving up at times.

Time for a rethink of the All-Ireland structure. Perhaps the round robin in Leinster will help?

Missing two of the counties best players in Paul Broderick and Brendan Murphy, along with other decent players, but even if they were on the field it wouldn't have made much of a difference to the final scoreline. As you said, Carlow were just way off the pace in every facet of the game.

A round-robin in Leinster would perhaps be the best solution without drastically altering the entire system, but the structure of it would need abit of figuring out, as in who goes into it each season along with Carlow and Wicklow and do they still go into the qualifiers?

Ultimately, the likes of Wicklow, Carlow, London, New York, Waterford, Leitrim and possibly one or two more should have their own Championship in my book.

Football was a disaster last week. Expected a loss by about 8 pts after a decent effort, but it ended up so much worse. We lost out everywhere by a long way. If we can't compete with a lower half Div 2 side like Laois where do we go!

Hurlers v Antrim on Sunday is basically the biggest game Carlow hurlers have played in years. Lose or draw we are gone from the all ireland back down to Christy Ring. Win, we at worst stay up & at best might even get into a leinster quarter final v Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Great win for Carlow today , especially the way it planned out with a man down early .

That was a fair smash between Coady and the Antrim player who came out it with only a cracked rib .

Would I be right in thinking there were at least 12 MLR / St.M players in the starting 15 for Carlow ?

Yeah fair play to the lads, in the grand scheme of things, it's a vital win to keep themselves in the SHC.

Was a tough year for them, alot of narrow defeats that could have made the season look alot different, but at least they salvaged something from it.

Antrim hurling in big trouble it would seem. Two relegations in the one year.

Only the 9 from MLR/St Mullin's in the starting 15.

Great win on Sunday, delivered when it mattered most. Such a pity we couldn't have played like that in the league and the other 2 group games.
    At least we are still in Leinster for next year, that at least will encourage players to commit to the panel.
    Hopefully by the start of next years league whatever the issues were that made so many leave the panel will have been sorted and we can for once have all the best players available to us.

Hopefully now the U-21s can follow Sunday up with a win in Portlaoise tomorrow evening.

Great stuff from the u-21s this evening. The introduction of Kevin McDonald was crucial, he stuck over every free. We were missing easy frees along with dodgy goalkeeping & full back line play it was killing us in the 1st half.
    Even though we had looked the better side, i felt those goals would cost us the win.
    2nd half was seriously impressive. What a win and adding that to Sundays hammering of Antrim by seniors suddenly Carlow hurling looks promising again.

Great stuff from the u21's tonight against a good Laois side. Do they play Dublin or KK at home next round or in a neutral venue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

CGCJfUEXIAAQ51i.jpg

And well done Johnny Nevin too

• Advertisement

TaosHum wrote: »
    Great stuff from the u21's tonight against a good Laois side. Do they play Dublin or KK at home next round or in a neutral venue?

Looks like it is a home game for us.

http://www.carlowgaa.ie/big-win-for-carlow-in-portlaoise/

http://www.leinstergaa.ie/news/bord-gais-energy-leinster-u21-quarter-final-wins-for-offaly-wexford-and-carlow.7264.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Great win for Carlow 21s. I see where Peter Shaw was wing forward. Can someone tell me was he on the senior panel this year? Perhaps he was injured? I saw him play underage years ago and was as good a hurler as I ever saw in Kilkenny underage

phkk wrote: »
    Great win for Carlow 21s. I see where Peter Shaw was wing forward. Can someone tell me was he on the senior panel this year? Perhaps he was injured? I saw him play underage years ago and was as good a hurler as I ever saw in Kilkenny underage

Was called up for the Antrim into the senior panel. That was it I think.

Fantastic effort from the u21 hurlers last night. Thought Kilkenny would run away with it in the second half, but Carlow really stepped up and certainly gave the Cats a fright!

I think we might finally be seeing the benefits of Borris N.S. playing at the highest level in school's hurling, as 8 of the side was from MLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Boris V S surely!!!

More than MLR would benefit from the high level that Borris plays at in school's competitions. Likes of Ballinkillen, St Mullins and Mysheal would all have players attending the school so a nice spread throughout the county benefit from this

Are Palatine playing against the Laois champions this weekend, even though the Laois county final is on Saturday evening?

Surely that can't be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

That's correct the laois final is saturday evin and the winners play pal sunday, same scenario in kilkenny this weekend with the intermediate champions out the following day in leinster, so much for player welfare and burnout

It's shocking as players can't even celebrate winning a county final and expected to play 2 games in 18 hours.

Wow this thread has been very quiet considering. :eek:

A congratulations today on your magnificent achievement on promotion to D3.

• Advertisement

Wow this thread has been very quiet considering. :eek:

A congratulations today on your magnificent achievement on promotion to D3.

Fair play to them continuing their good form for last year.

brookville wrote: »
    Fair play to them continuing their good form for last year.

Absolutely. Amazing what a manager with a bit of pride and love for the county can instill in a panel of players. Turlough is very similar to Cheddar Plunkett in many respects in that his affection for Carlow is inspiring his panel to go where previous Carlow teams dared dream of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This is great news.

Have had a serious grá for this team since they took us on in the LQF last year in Port Laoise.

Congrats to all!!!

I remember where this side was only 3 years ago, during the end of Anthony Rainbow's time in charge. Expectations, moral and player commitment to the side was as low as I seen it. Shipped some heavy beatings that year against Tipp, Clare & Meath, along with convincing defeats against other so called minnows in division 4. The future of Carlow football looked bleak and I even remember the county chairman at the time stating publicly if things got worse, Carlow would no longer field a senior football team.

To see the strides Carlow football has made since then has been staggering and extremely satisfying to those who remember the bad times (and trust me there has been many). Alot of credit must go to Turlough O'Brien, who steadily regained the confidence & belief of the players who he took charge of. Getting Stephen Poacher in was also a key addition, as you can see the fitness levels & conditioning of the team grow year after year.

At the start of nearly every season, you could probably name a team of players who did not commit to the county, that would arguably be better than what the county was fielding. That's not the case anymore and it's even great seeing Carlow actually putting out a team with it's best players on the field.

I know alot of people around the country are probably bemused by the coverage this team has gotten having "just" won promotion from the bottom tier of inter county football, but it's hard to explain to people who have no concept of being starved of even the slightest bit of success for such a long period of time.

Great post TaosHum, very happy to see the footballers get out of div 4, a must if they to improve at all. More fond of the smaller ball and those boys are only a win away from promotion too. Let's not take anything away from the footballers and the massive effort by all involved with the team to get them where they are now.
    I was a very proud Carlow man Sunday evening sitting down waiting for Carlow's mention on the Sunday game. #carlowrising

Great post TaosHum, very happy to see the footballers get out of div 4, a must if they to improve at all. More fond of the smaller ball and those boys are only a win away from promotion too. Let's not take anything away from the footballers and the massive effort by all involved with the team to get them where they are now.
    I was a very proud Carlow man Sunday evening sitting down waiting for Carlow's mention on the Sunday game. #carlowrising

Yeah, huge game for the hurlers on Saturday. They badly need to get out of division 2 and have come close the last few years. Having seen them earlier in the year against Westmeath, I have my doubts they will be able to turn them over, but having said that, results would suggest they have improved as the year has progressed. Good road wins against Meath & Kerry certainly gives room for optimism.

Would be a fantastic 6 days for Carlow GAA if they can do it. Will need strong performances from their key men though. Felt the Westmeath backline got the better of Kavanagh, Byrne, Nolan & Murphy last time out and James Doyle's red card after only 10 minutes of coming on was crucial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Apart from being without John Michael Nolan tomorrow due to suspension I think we have our strongest team out. There's a big difference in tomorrow's team and the one that faced Westmeath in the first round. Hopefully the lads will have gained even more motivation from the footballers' success.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Great days for Carlow GAA

Fair play to ye and long may it last.

Great days for Carlow GAA

Fair play to ye and long may it last.

Fair play to them is right 1b will be tough next year but hopefully they can stay up.

For a minute there I thought Carlow had both teams promoted within a week...... O yes we did, great result today great effort great feeling #Carlowrising again!

Excellent performance by the hurlers on Saturday and well deserved. Though Colm Bonner got the selection right in the forwards, with a very sharp and pacey full forward line in Mouse, Doyle & Nolan. Was very impressed with Eddie Byrne, who done alot of hard grafting from puck outs and took some nice scores. Felt Carlow were abit vulnerable in the full back line. as Westmeath did cause some problems. Carlow however well deserved winners and gained desperetly needed promotion to 1b.

Didn't get to catch the footballers against Laois, but from what I heard, it was pretty negative stuff, with Carlow being wasteful in front of goal. Even so, can't wait for tomorrow in Croker. Hopefully the performance will be better and they can get the result to cap off a fantastic league campaign.

• Advertisement
Advertisement