Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting out of Civil Engineering

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭uptherebels

onrail wrote: »
    What industry are you in?

Look at the name.. T.R.oL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

Look at the name.. T.R.oL

Cheers - I'm a bit naive in the mornings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

There has definitely been a rise in the salaries being offered out there, but they're still well below an acceptable standard.

Given the pick up in the economy and the massive demand for engineers, is it now safe to say that the rates of pay aren't a supply/demand issue?

Is it simply a down to us all in the industry constantly cutting the legs from each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ingeneer

I've definitely noticed a big scramble to hire structural engineers in the last few months. Getting contacted on LinkedIn on a weekly basis by recruiters. Seeing a lot of people move around without an issue. Also seeing a lot of public, semi-state companies etc hiring (ESB, Councils, DAA).

I have around 6 years experience and it seems to me that there is a big shortage of people in that 5 - 15 years experience range. I'd like to think if I moved sometime this year I'd by looking at a 10 to 15% increase at least. Still often think of leaving the private sector consultancy end of things, as it can be crazy stressful at times (lot of responsibility, under-resourced). And the wages are still too low imo. Having said that there seems to be so much work going on (housing shortage, office space shortage, dublin airport expansion, metro north, etc.) that maybe the tide will turn this year and salaries will get to an acceptable level.

Anyone else feeling cautiously optimistic about 2019 and the next couple of years?

Advertisement