Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭yarglags

I felt honoured when Danny thanked one of my pictures in the random thread given the quality of his work. I never met him but from the pictures I'd seen of him scattered about here and on pix.ie, he looked like a man of great humour. His posts here were always warm and helpful. I was shocked to hear of his passing. I'm sure he's finding new photo-opportunities wherever he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

One final one for Danny to say fairwell.

As a mark of respect after his passing, Irish Balloon Flights hung a black cloth beneath their basket in a fairwell tribute.
    He also got to fly up in a balloon shortly beforehand. He got to be a kid once more. Flying high above the trees. Heading for the clouds.

CB408BEDEE7D4F0BA52FF549447A1C26-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    this brought a smile to me - from the old introductions thread.

Nice to look through that thread, find out who ye really are! Muineach is in there aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

What can I say, stunned. Only met him a few times but always a Gent and great help and his Photography was always amazing. Will miss him, a greatly talented and a huge loss. Wish his family my deepest condolences.

RIP Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

I only met Danny once or twice but always enjoyed his photographs, comments, thoughts and wit.

His website wishes "I set this blog up to simply keep a record of my photography on public view. I hope it survives long after I am gone."

It is clear from all the tributes over the last few days that Danny will live long in the memory of everyone and will not be forgotten. He has touched, encouraged and inspired many people.

His passing has puts all lifes troubles that we may have into perspective.

RIP Danny and condolences to your family

I know it is a number of months away but I would like to suggest that the Boards Photobook 2010is dedicated/tributed to Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

RoryW wrote: »
    I know it is a number of months away but I would like to suggest that the Boards Photobook 2010 is dedicated/tributed to Danny

Maybe one of his family could select an image of his for inclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

Maybe one of his family could select an image of his for inclusion?

I live around the corner from him & am good friends with his son also.. And I was chatting with them yesterday about looking through his huge collection of images, not yet even seen!!

democrates wrote: »
    Danny will live on through his work but this goes far beyond his exquisite photographs. His greatest work was inspiring and encouraging so many others to be their best. A beautiful human being, he climbed a mountain and every step of the way gave others a friendly hand up. Just reading his posts here would make you a better person. Everyone he helped lives a better life and passes on that gift, it will bring out the best in future generations long after we are all gone. So Danny's legacy is not finished at all, it's just starting out. Thank you Danny, may you rest in peace and happiness, and sincere condolences to your family.

What beautiful words... Brought a smile to my face amid all the sadness!! Dannys legacy lives on in his family also.. They are absolutely amazing people, selfless like himself & always thinking & putting others way before themselves on every occasion! A pure credit to him!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

In the past we've found that the families found it very helpful to see threads like this, if anyone knows his family, do please let them know its here.

Danny helped me as a starting photographer, he almost ended it when I saw his pics, they were so good. He was the kind of person I wish Boards was filled with. RIP.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    In the past we've found that the families found it very helpful to see threads like this, if anyone knows his family, do please let them know its here.

Danny helped me as a starting photographer, he almost ended it when I saw his pics, they were so good. He was the kind of person I wish Boards was filled with. RIP.

DeV.

Hey :-)

They know.. Donall, his son was talking about it yesterday! He only got to read some and hopefully he is so proud of his dad... but thankfully Donall is just the image of Danny in every way, so at least he knows how we felt about Danny & feel about him!!
    Love you Donall x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

RIP Dan.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Peeps7

Hi everyone, my name is Kate and I'm Danny's daughter. Im just sitting here with my mum reading all the posts and honestly all your kind words are really helping us get through today! I feel so proud to have been his daughter-it seems like he had so many friends on here....i wish I asked him more about ye all.

My mum really loves the pictures ye have posted...im not very used to boards yet so I was just wondering if ye could would anyone that has a picture of dad could you email me it please. I would be so greatful, I think my mum is worried becuase dad was always the man holding the camera and we only have a select few photo's of dad.

My email address is peeps18(at)gmail(dot)com

We are heart broken to have lost him and I cant express how much he was loved by us all! Thank you all so so much,

Kate x

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Peeps7 wrote: »
    My mum really loves the pictures ye have posted...im not very used to boards yet so I was just wondering if ye could would anyone that has a picture of dad could you email me it please. I would be so greatful, I think my mum is worried becuase dad was always the man holding the camera and we only have a select few photo's of dad.

Thanks for posting Kate. I have a some and so has Susie. I'll arrange to get them to you through her. I'm sure there are a few more available from other boardsies and bloggers.

Danny will be sorely missed by all of us.

Denis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

thanks for posting Kate - sorry couldn't get to funeral - the photography forum doesn't seam like the photography forum without Danny - his voice of reason and wonderfuill images will be missed forever

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

Never knew him as Danny like many of you did, to me he was always known as Valentia. I read many of his posts and admired so many of his photos. An inspiration to all who met him and even to all of us who never did. He will be sadly missed.

Condolences for his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

OMG this is a shock. I was following his balloon pics on flickr last weekend. I never met Danny but was very much an admirer of his photography and have been for many years now. I remember heading in to see his Conflict photo in full glory at the exhibition in St. Stephen's green and was delighted for him.

Danny has countless stunning images to his credit, but I love this portrait of him and Donall that he posted last year. http://porchfield.com/2009/02/23/the-boy-and-me/

Condolences to family and friends, and RIP Danny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I said earlier I would say a few words as I was too shocked when I heard. I'm still shocked and saddened.

I won't say much about Danny's photography as it speaks for itself. "The Gannets" of course was a masterpiece but lots of others spring to mind especially this one and this one of his son Donal campaigning for Trim Town Council in Times Square.

Danny was a pleasure to know. He was kind and generous to a fault, when he praised you it was earned and if you lost the run of yourself he'd be the first to let you know.

I met his brother Willie for the first time at the wake. That he was properly waked was so appropriate too. No introductions needed, "you must be one of Danny's internet friends" . It was only later I realised what that meant. As loads of you have said, you thought you knew him without having met him. Danny had no internet persona, no writing style, he just typed his utterances and somehow we all got the verbal intonations etc. The odd "feck" here and there probably helped us no doubt.

He was a tremendous help to me personally starting out and later on a sounding block and break on my flights of fancy.

I admired his energy, his devotion to Phil, Donall and Kate, his ability to cut through the bull**** and his outrage with the state of Ireland of late. Every Friday I tuned in to the Late Late Show on Twitter, where Danny provided a running commentary with his rasping sense of humour. His legacy though is thankfully there for all to appreciate.

Never did the old Irish saying ring so true. Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís.

Tommie

I've penned a few short words about the night of the wake on the blog if anyone's interested .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Only knew him from here. But I am shocked !

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Wow, words can't express the shock I feel at reading about Valentia's passing. Like a lot of people I only knew him through the internet, but the photos he posted have been a massive inspiration to me.
    His photos from the Skelligs a few years back were simply awe-inspiring and one of the things that sparked off a real interest in photography for me. He will be greatly missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

I'm like some of the other people that have posted here, I never knew Danny but he replied to some of my post to give me some guidance on buying a camera some time ago and he was so helpful. I was inspired by his work he was a Master at photography and like some other post's his shots in Valentia/Skellig make me want to go there during the summer (I'll be thinking of you). My eyes are filling up as I write this so I would like to give my condolence to his Family

MAY HE REST IN PEACE

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

Cameraman wrote: »

Lovely piece about him.. He's done so much for this town and more!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They keep calling him Mr O'Brien. But, he was always Danny. :D I think he'd laugh at the formality of it.

Nice article though, and shows how much he did (photography, drama, music, comunity, etc)

Paulw wrote: »
    They keep calling him Mr O'Brien. But, he was always Danny. :D I think he'd laugh at the formality of it. =QUOTE]

Mr O'Brien just doesn't sound right does it Paul.. He was far to down to earth to be a Mr!! You're right though, he would have laughed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Just saw this now, never met Danny but I was always totally in awe of his shots. He was an amazing photographer, and from my few encounters with him on boards, always very willing to help people out with advice.

RIP Danny, and my condolences to all his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Today's a blue day. My heart goes out to Phil, Donall Kate and the rest of the O Brien Family

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭SinLight

Only now got to the stage where all this revealed to me.

You will be missed by everyone in here and hope he can see all those good words. Only smiling there now

RIP Dannie.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Wow, just saw this now. Never met him but he did some great work. My sympathies to his family and all who knew him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

One year ago today. :(:(

Advertisement