Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Jersey Sightings

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Spotted a bald (I think) lad wearing a boards outfit at the Kenmare feeding point on the ROK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Driving home from Ballinastoe caught a glimpse of a Boardsie heading towards Enniskerry just passed the Esso station. Did a double take as I finally got to see the famous jersey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

blorg wrote: »
    I know of at least one other Boardsie working in there.

As far as I know, there's at least 3 of us in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DerKomissar

c0rk3r wrote: »
    No hands, Pheonix park, Sunday, in the wrong cycle lane yup sounds like me alright. Only saw one other cyclist in the park that day. 40-ish year old man on a trek but with a name like caroline_ie i doubt that was you.

No hands was to straighten out my back (need to sort out my nerd posture)

Live to cycle. Cycle to live. mm hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

A very stylish lad spotted in a boards shirt (and scandalously short shorts) :eek:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mkrphoto/page4/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Unshaven legs + short shorts = totally deserved ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

im telling you that blorg is everywhere,sandals and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

bunnygreen wrote: »
    im telling you that blorg is everywhere,sandals and all.
    blorg was in the final Dublin City Duathlon last night - 5k run, 20k cycle, 2.5k run. I didn't see whether he had the sandals on - there was a guy who did the first run (5k) in his bare feet!

blorg - how did you get on? 1hr9m15s for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Was he wearing the boards jersey? Think I caught a glimpse but being a noob no approach was made on my part!

Did it in 1:12:30 which I was delighted with, had the yellow Giant MCR (UCI illegal!!!) tri bike out for the first time competitively and she was a dream, think my cycle was down around the 37 min mark.

I also saw one of the runners pass by me and say: "like runing on 2 bricks". Shortly after he whipped off the shoes and completed the 2.5km run in his socks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

daymobrew wrote: »
    blorg was in the final Dublin City Duathlon last night - 5k run, 20k cycle, 2.5k run. I didn't see whether he had the sandals on - there was a guy who did the first run (5k) in his bare feet!

blorg - how did you get on? 1hr9m15s for me.
    1h15m20s. Bike split on my Cateye was 34m37s including running the bike in and out of transition; got 35km/h average excluding that bit according to the Garmin! Sandals were present. Need to work on the running; haven't really done any of that yet.

• Advertisement

christeb wrote: »
    Was he wearing the boards jersey? Think I caught a glimpse but being a noob no approach was made on my part!

Did it in 1:12:30 which I was delighted with, had the yellow Giant MCR (UCI illegal!!!) tri bike out for the first time competitively and she was a dream, think my cycle was down around the 37 min mark.

I also saw one of the runners pass by me and say: "like runing on 2 bricks". Shortly after he whipped off the shoes and completed the 2.5km run in his socks!
    You should have said hello- had the Boards jersey on over my new tri suit (I am really gone over to the dark side now) while I was waiting - definately saw your bike, it was very distinctive- you were up near the cycle entrance/exit to transition IIRC. I saw some shoes sitting there on the final run all right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

had the Boards jersey on over my new tri suit (I am really gone over to the dark side now)

A definate ban for sure, and I think he should be stopped from wearing his boards top when 'competing' in such a silly 'sport' :)

You should have said hello- had the Boards jersey on over my new tri suit (I am really gone over to the dark side now) while I was waiting - definately saw your bike, it was very distinctive- you were up near the cycle entrance/exit to transition IIRC. I saw some shoes sitting there on the final run all right!

Yeah we had to move it down towards the middle as it turned out it was blocking everyone after all!

To all the other cyclists: the buzz at these events is great - you should all come over to the dark side!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Did the duathlon myself last night. 1:14:20 for me, delighted with that given my lack of running miles.

@Blorg - spotted the boards jersey when I first arrived. Was going to say hello after I racked the bike and got sorted, but couldn't spot it after that. You must have stripped off by then.

@christeb - spotted your bike as well, it ended up on the rack next to where mine was. In fact, I nearly collided with you coming into the first transition as you were blocking the path with the bike, you moved just in time. I believe you got yelled at by the race ref too for unracking the bike before putting your helmet on - naughty ;)

MadHatter wrote: »
    @christeb - spotted your bike as well, it ended up on the rack next to where mine was. In fact, I nearly collided with you coming into the first transition as you were blocking the path with the bike, you moved just in time. I believe you got yelled at by the race ref too for unracking the bike before putting your helmet on - naughty ;)

Did I??? Apologies, I don't recall anything, I was in my own exhausted world...

Well done on the time though, I thoroughly enjoyed myself I must say. What kind of bike was yours? Did you overtake me on the cycle at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Did I??? Apologies, I don't recall anything, I was in my own exhausted world...

Well done on the time though, I thoroughly enjoyed myself I must say. What kind of bike was yours? Did you overtake me on the cycle at all?

No worries, only ribbing you. Don't recall passing you on the bike - I'm sure I'd have noticed. Don't have a split for my cycle part either as I forgot to turn the computer on until I was heading up the hill on Military Road for the first time :o

I was on a Felt Z35. Not exactly a triathlon/time trial machine but it did the trick. Like blorg I passed a few guys with tri-bars and disc wheels, especially going up the hills.

Don't know much/anything about this area, but given the hilly & twisty nature of the bike course, is there any real benefit in tri-bikes over a standard road bike?

I wouldn't imagine so, there are too many turns and hills.

Although in saying that I was passing out a good few of what I would term "proper cyclists" on the long descent only for them to quickly reel me back in on the hill. Mostly about the legs, at least I hope so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Rob of Wheelworx has uploaded 333 photos from last night. You and your bike are there. Edit: Another photo of the bike
    blorg wrote:
    had the Boards jersey on over my new tri suit
    Said new tri suit is there too. (Interesting look in the 2nd photo).

Phew, I made it on there too.

Rest of photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

oh mighty blorg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

foxrock church, an hour or two ago, heading south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

uberwolf wrote: »
    foxrock church, an hour or two ago, heading south.

Probably me, was he on a Ridley, silver helmet, looking amazing?? Cuz without the amazing part it could have been anyone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

first sighting this morning

on Clanbrassil street at the junction of the South Circular.

Second from the right not counting emty, that would be me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

uberwolf wrote: »
    OH No I am on Bebo ... ( I am Not short I am just far far away ... )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

I saw a pair of boards shorts swerve to avoid a pothole on the Coast Road to Howth cycle path last Thursday evening (14th). Was in a group of three, seemed as though it almost came a cropper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 bruno_12345

sorry about this lads but i know that this has nothing o do with what ye are talking about but need some advice on duathlons. i'm thinking of competing in one as soon as i'm fit. 10k run 20k cycle & 5k run. never done on before & my running only average. anyone with a bit of advice. where do i start. thanks

Might be best posting a new thread. People will pretty much check this one out for boards jersey sightings. You will get more direct responses by starting a new thread. I know bugger all about duathlons, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Wheeee finally saw my first 'random' (i.e. not on a spin or event) jersey this morning at Kevin St/Camden St junction. Turned out to be Seamus!

I never see anyone. Is there anyone on the Northside (east)?

• Advertisement

sorry about this lads but i know that this has nothing o do with what ye are talking about but need some advice on duathlons. i'm thinking of competing in one as soon as i'm fit. 10k run 20k cycle & 5k run. never done on before & my running only average. anyone with a bit of advice. where do i start. thanks
    Well first step is to get your boards jersey so you can be spotted in it. Seriously though, I would post on the Marathon/Triathlon board, particularly if your issue is mainly to do with the running. All very helpful people and indeed there is a thread over there already with a very similar focus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Spotted a Boardsie leaving East Point at about half five this evening. I beeped but was ignored.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I spotted my Racing Rival on his Specialized Langter chowing through traffic this evening near Smithfield. I was in a car and passed by and was then passed by. I had to resist getting out of the car and chasing after in an effort to overtake.

I shouted at my driver, "Hey ! A Boards.ie jersey, I know that guy, do three beeps." The driver refused. And then the driver managed to partially block the cycle lane when about to pull in. I cringed and cowered in the seat, hiding myself from view as the man from the union cycled past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Verb wrote: »
    I spotted my Racing Rival on his Specialized Langter chowing through traffic this evening near Smithfield. I was in a car and passed by and was then passed by. I had to resist getting out of the car and chasing after in an effort to overtake.

I shouted at my driver, "Hey ! A Boards.ie jersey, I know that guy, do three beeps." The driver refused. And then the driver managed to partially block the cycle lane when about to pull in. I cringed and cowered in the seat, hiding myself from view as the man from the union cycled past.

lol!!!

I don't remember anyone blocking the cycle lane; mind you, it's not unusual on that stretch.

I was on a particularly good roll through Smithfield yesterday, I have a clear recollection of making eye contact with a driver in his wing mirror who was waiting to change lanes (he yielded) and thinking to myself "that almost never happens!!"

I spotted you a few weeks ago on that hill that you used to beat me, I was walking and actually called you (imagine the looks I got for shouting the word 'verb!' randomly:D). You were 'in the zone' I reckon, never heard me.

Next time I expect you to jump out of the car and give it your best shot!!:D

Heading down Clanbrasssil St just after 11 this morn. Sun morning spin I take it?

I was on the other side of the rd, heading towards town, 4k into my 13k run (I know, I should have been on a bike of some sort...)

Lookin' good lads (and lady:D) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Thursday night in Temple Bar with a black singlespeed/fixed.. talking about Edinburgh!

Surely they would have recognised you ?
    fishhead.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Spotted a boards jersey on Irishcycling webstite at the boot league inn Here 3rd picture down (cant post picture due to copyright)

Two sightings of two different people.
    1) A few weeks ago near McDonalds in Donaghmede.

2) Today on Georges Street while I was late-lunching in Yammamouri, I saw the banana-bike with it's owner in a Boards jersey. I must admit, I got a little excited by it. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Raam wrote: »
    Two sightings of two different people.
    1) A few weeks ago near McDonalds in Donaghmede.

That could have been me

• Advertisement

Heading down Clanbrasssil St just after 11 this morn. Sun morning spin I take it?

I was on the other side of the rd, heading towards town, 4k into my 13k run (I know, I should have been on a bike of some sort...)

Me, niceonetom and caroline_ie it sounds like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Saw two boards jerseys today, about 13h00 or so. They were stopped beside Johnnie Fox's pub, having a chat. One with long hair tied at the back. I was passing through the crossroads on my way to Glencullen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

That was TinyExplosion, Niceonetom and Me... we did look cool I have to say. Just came back 10 minutes ago from that spin.

Raam wrote: »
    2) Today on Georges Street while I was late-lunching in Yammamouri, I saw the banana-bike with it's owner in a Boards jersey. I must admit, I got a little excited by it. :o

Seriously, we need to be keeping score of these. I'm thoroughly dominating at random sightings.

My constant circuits around the city center in search of fame are paying off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Snapper1

fish-head wrote: »
    Thursday night in Temple Bar with a black singlespeed/fixed.. talking about Edinburgh!

Me! Twas my first outing in the training jacket, brilliant purchase i have to say.

"Fish-head: Taking eaves-dropping to a new level!"

doozerie wrote: »
    Saw two boards jerseys today, about 13h00 or so. They were stopped beside Johnnie Fox's pub, having a chat. One with long hair tied at the back. I was passing through the crossroads on my way to Glencullen.

Niceonetom, and me again! (caroline_ie not far behind!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Spotted a boards jersey on Irishcycling webstite at the boot league inn Here 3rd picture down (cant post picture due to copyright)

eek! that's me. struggling in that one :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Verb wrote: »
    Surely they would have recognised you ?
    fishhead.jpg

Hahaha.. where on earth did you find that?!
    Snapper1 wrote:
    Me! Twas my first outing in the training jacket, brilliant purchase i have to say.

"Fish-head: Taking eaves-dropping to a new level!"

Fish have a wonderful sense of hearing. The jacket looked cool.. so did the bike, what it it?

fish-head wrote: »
    Hahaha.. where on earth did you find that?!

Let's face it. The odds of not being able to find something like that on the Internet are slim !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Snapper1

Fish have a wonderful sense of hearing. The jacket looked cool.. so did the bike, what it it?

That was my pimped-out* Langster, lovely nippy bike.

"pimped-out" meaning covered in insulation tape plus a few other changes

Advertisement