Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

quidel wrote: »
    The all Ireland champions coming to Breffni Park and the interest levels seem extremely low. The disappointment of last week in Clones and it’s almost inevitable confirmation of relegation remains. Be interesting to see the attendance on Sunday. Big onus on Cavan to show some fighting spirit otherwise confidence will take a further massive blow.

I think what annoyed people most last week was the performance, or lack thereof. It’s the first time I looked at the team during the League and thought they were going nowhere.

I’d expect a big crowd though because I’ve seen a few Dublin underage teams mention coming down and it’s a short trip for them. Virginia will be a nightmare after the match.

Alas, I’m going to watch Meath against Fermanagh - those Meath lads don’t know when they’re bet ;)

Opinions on today lads? The boys on the radio reckoned James Galligan and Paul Graham did well.

I’d imagine Oisin Kiernan got a big cheer coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭benjy1000

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Opinions on today lads? The boys on the radio reckoned James Galligan and Paul Graham did well.

Galligan was poor, barely touched ball in first half, got on more ball second half but he was unchallenged when he was catching those balls in second half.

Overall bar a few plays it was another poor performance, if Dublin were anyway in the mood they would have won by 15+

Mcveety is good option at F.F , good to see him stay in there too.
    Martin Reilly a good option also in the corner. Offers a good outlet.

Division 2 is the teams standard . No doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Thunderbirds

James Galligan spent a lot of time chasing MDM but grew into game. Paul Graham done ok. Conor Brady impressive. Gearoid done well but faded. Mcveety was brilliant inside.

Oisin got a clap when came on. Great to see him recovered and well.

Couple strange calls went against Cavan. Free for Dublin goal was a fair shoulder and Cavan had a legitimate point waved wide. Giving away too many frees as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

A considerable number of changes to the starting line up and the panel today. Players starting last week and not to be seen this. Hard to know what management have in mind. It would have been great to see an improvement in discipline and place kicking over the course of the campaign, alas, lots more work to be done.

• Advertisement

A considerable number of changes to the starting line up and the panel today. Players starting last week and not to be seen this. Hard to know what management have in mind. It would have been great to see an improvement in discipline and place kicking over the course of the campaign, alas, lots more work to be done.

There was a reason for the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭rrs

Can you reveal them?

rrs wrote: »
    Can you reveal them?

I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist and last week Paddys weekend.

I wasnt around.. Which players down to start were on the beer?

benjy1000 wrote: »
    Galligan was poor, barely touched ball in first half, got on more ball second half but he was unchallenged when he was catching those balls in second half.

Overall bar a few plays it was another poor performance, if Dublin were anyway in the mood they would have won by 15+

Mcveety is good option at F.F , good to see him stay in there too.
    Martin Reilly a good option also in the corner. Offers a good outlet.

Division 2 is the teams standard . No doubt about that.

Having seen a number of the Division 2 games this year due to trips with the in laws, we should be coming straight back up.

Fermanagh were dire today against Meath. They rolled off 4 scores in 3 minutes at 20 seconds and then failed to score for about a half hour before getting two scores right at the end of the half. Dreadful to see a team play with 15 men regularly inside their own 40.

My only worries for us would be Kildare & the Rossies.

You’ve the top six or so sides in the country and then teams like us grappling for the next set of positions.

Unless we have a few decent additions coming through, that’s where we’ll be remaining unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Galligan done quite well, McVeety done well winning ball, but he needs lads running off him......too often he won it, and had to beat 2 or 3 men to get a shot away....when he wins it, he needs someone running of him to make the most of it. Gearoid very greedy I thought, not willing to play give and goes

I must admit, I was expecting a clipping, but the lads stuck at it......Dublin only in second gear though

Some crack in Virginia by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Who was the ref?

tanko wrote: »
    Who was the ref?

Ollie Og.

What went on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

What went on?

Confusion about the final score at the end of the game i think.

What went on?

Ramor won by 2. Ref had it down as a draw. Game was recorded so it's being watched back to decide score.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Referees ha ha. Should be sponsored by Specsavers or the Irish Council for the Blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭benjy1000

Tell the bit?

benjy1000 wrote: »
    Tell the bit?

It's above what happened.

• Advertisement

The level of refereeing is atrocious but then with the amount of abuse they get off players, managers and supporters, you'd have to have a screw loose to want to do the role.

Any opinions on who is lighting it up in the League that isn't involved with the county team?

I believe Graham had spoken to Enda Flanagan earlier in the year but he was carrying an injury. He certainly seems to be lighting it up for Rahan.

Barry Reilly also seems to be playing well for Kingscourt but I don't think we'll see him back in a county jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

The level of refereeing is atrocious but then with the amount of abuse they get off players, managers and supporters, you'd have to have a screw loose to want to do the role.

Any opinions on who is lighting it up in the League that isn't involved with the county team?

I believe Graham had spoken to Enda Flanagan earlier in the year but he was carrying an injury. He certainly seems to be lighting it up for Rahan.

Barry Reilly also seems to be playing well for Kingscourt but I don't think we'll see him back in a county jersey.

Reilly is apparently a farmer so Im not sure if he will go back in.......lethal at the frees. Enda Flanagan has something like 7-7 from 3 games.....2 penalties, but not on frees as far as i know.

Jack playing well at CB for Ramor....havent heard much else

One week to go. Time to start gearing up lads. FWIW, here's my starting team:

Ray Galligan

McLoughlin
    Faulkner
    Clarke

Moynagh
    C. Brady
    Rehill

G. Smith
    J. Galligan/P. Graham

Chris Conroy
    Niall Murray
    Gearoid McKiernan

Dara McVeety
    Conor Madden
    Martin Reilly

I'm going on the basis that Caoimhin O'Reilly won't be fit to start.

Not sure what is happening re Seanie Johnston but I think you need your team to get stronger around the 50 minute mark so it'd be good to have him, Mackey and Caoimhin to spring off the bench.

We need a threat inside and I think McVeety is our best chance of that. Between Brady, Moynagh, Rehill and Smith there should be enough men to run at Monaghan.

Who is refereeing ?

Edit.

Just found out it’s Conor Lane (Cork).

Are you a Louth man living in Cavan or just keen interest in Cavan? You post alot on the Cavan page..

rrs wrote: »
    Are you a Louth man living in Cavan or just keen interest in Cavan? You post alot on the Cavan page..

Louth man with most of his friends from Cavan.Go to a lot of Cavan games with them if they don’t clash with Louth fixtures. Have lots of Cavan relatives too.

Who is refereeing ?

Edit.

Just found out it’s Conor Lane (Cork).

At least its not a Meath man! Cormac Reilly comes to mind!

At least its not a Meath man! Cormac Reilly comes to mind!

I think he retired from inter county thank God.

It is a big ask from what we saw in the league for Cavan to have fully corrected some long standing issues like free taking, goal scoring and discipline. Hard to know if all that can be sorted in a few weeks. There will hardly be more than a point or two in it. A win would be a massive step in the right direction. Another narrow loss and enthusiasm for the qualifiers will be hard to muster.

• Advertisement

It is a big ask from what we saw in the league for Cavan to have fully corrected some long standing issues like free taking, goal scoring and discipline. Hard to know if all that can be sorted in a few weeks. There will hardly be more than a point or two in it. A win would be a massive step in the right direction. Another narrow loss and enthusiasm for the qualifiers will be hard to muster.

The lads on We Are Cavan did a run down on the last ten Cavan Monaghan games in the championship going right back to 1987 and there is generally never more than a point or two in the game.

The big problem for Cavan is where do the scores come from. In the league, we lacked intensity and it was a real eye opener how little our lads brought to that local derby.

Mickey said his big aim was Championship and not the league so it’s time to prove that now.

Advertisement