Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

I can't believe Clerkin stayed on for the whole game. Jack unlucky to be took off. Yes he made mistakes but that was because he actually touched the ball now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Well done today lads ye were well overdue a win against us and I was very fearful all week. First half even against the wind ye were much better side but it took a terrible kickout to give us the lead after some poor shooting by ye. Point being ye left us in the game too long. Even apart from the sending off Cavan put in a mighty sift. The wides cost haunt ye against better sides than us because Cavan were miles than us today anyway.
    Ye have what lools like a very good manager. Some very good players. Be patient ye will improve even more. Best of luck rest of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭tanko

Before today can anyone remember the last time Cavan beat Roscommon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

tanko wrote: »
    Before today can anyone remember the last time Cavan beat Roscommon?

http://gaelicstats.com/football-head-to-head/

2014 Division 3 league game, they then bet us in the league final, and knocked us out of the Qualifiers later the same year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

With Cavan’s second last game 3 weeks away yet, it would be great if some of cavan’s injured players were back and got some action in the final two Div 1 league games prior to championship. Hopefully a win next Saturday would also see their return add some strength to Cavan’s great escape from relegation!

• Advertisement

Can someone settle a debate for me. Was Harney sent off for a hit on Clarke after his tangle with Holla or was it for the Holla incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Yevon wrote: »
    "Reilly I find slow and awkward at times. He has been a great player for us under the old system but I’m not sure moving the ball forward at speed, which is Mickey’s key tactic, will suit him"

I dunno but when you call a man slow and awkward, say you're not sure he'll fit into the new system... It's not exactly a ringing endorsement for a starting berth is it?

As I said yesterday before he turned in today's performance and GallantJJ has reiterated today, he's a top class player and should continue to be one of the first name's on the teamsheet.

Where has anyone said he shouldn’t start? Again, you’re stating a point that nobody suggested. There’s a difference between staring someone needs to up their game/improve/change style and that they should be dropped.

I clearly said Mackey should be the impact sub in the initial post.
    I can't believe Clerkin stayed on for the whole game. Jack unlucky to be took off. Yes he made mistakes but that was because he actually touched the ball now and again.

I’m amazed he’s still in the panel. Did he get one point in seven League games last year? We had a worrying lack of forwards named amongst the subs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Good result today and a great performance
    Heres hoping for a performance against Tyrone as we haven't beaten them in a competitive game in a long long time

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Good result today and a great performance
    Heres hoping for a performance against Tyrone as we haven't beaten them in a competitive game in a long long time

Did we beat them in a McKenna cup game in Breffni in one of McGleenan's first games in charge. Does that count as a competitive game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Not for me league or championship , hopefully we can perform and put in a decent shift but we must go at them

• Advertisement

Did we beat them in a McKenna cup game in Breffni in one of McGleenan's first games in charge. Does that count as a competitive game.

Yes, it was two years ago and Gerry Smith made his senior debut and finished with a goal and man of the match.

As others have said though, I wouldn’t count McKenna cup as competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭celt262

Can someone settle a debate for me. Was Harney sent off for a hit on Clarke after his tangle with Holla or was it for the Holla incident?

He fired the elbow into Holla the referee missed it but linesman seen it and communicated this to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭mylestheslasher

celt262 wrote: »
    He fired the elbow into Holla the referee missed it but linesman seen it and communicated this to him.

Good win lads. Just on the sending off, holla was pulling at him then there was a flailing arm which contacted Holla but ref waved play on for that one. Then Holla had another nibble and Harney struck back at him again, this time Gough was looking straight at him and called it. There wasnt much force but it was a striking action.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Good win lads. Just on the sending off, holla was pulling at him then there was a flailing arm which contacted Holla but ref waved play on for that one. Then Holla had another nibble and Harney struck back at him again, this time Gough was looking straight at him and called it. There wasnt much force but it was a striking action.

Was behind it and lord above Cormac Reilly buzzed the ref. I was shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Yevon wrote: »
    Disagree completely on Mackey and Martin Reilly. I think Mackey has an ability to find a pass that nobody else on the team has and I feel he's careful in possession, that sometimes means lateral passing. Martin Reilly doesn't have the passing range but breaks the line better than most on the team. Both are two of few players who can break a tackle and keep the ball under pressure. Lateral passing is unfortunately a necessity at times when teams drop players back, I don't feel it's excessive from either player.
    I feel that lads like Moynagh, Madden, Rehill could all do with being a bit more conservative at times instead of launching in 50/50 balls to a non-functioning full forward line.

What people dont realise is that when Mackey and GMAC play thy get special, man marking attention, so its harder for them to make an impact. Mackey has the bist long ball distribution and vision on the team.

As for yesterday, Murray was MOTM, Moynagh was impressive, as was Madden when he got ball. No idea how Clerkin lasted 70 mins. McVeety and Holla were below par for the levels expected of them....Im being harsh on them as they played well, but not as well as I know they can play

Great to see Gerry Smith back also, and with GMAC and Caoimhin to come back, there is decent competition for places

What people dont realise is that when Mackey and GMAC play thy get special, man marking attention, so its harder for them to make an impact. Mackey has the bist long ball distribution and vision on the team.

As for yesterday, Murray was MOTM, Moynagh was impressive, as was Madden when he got ball. No idea how Clerkin lasted 70 mins. McVeety and Holla were below par for the levels expected of them....Im being harsh on them as they played well, but not as well as I know they can play

Great to see Gerry Smith back also, and with GMAC and Caoimhin to come back, there is decent competition for places

I thought Holla had a mare compared to his usual consistency. McVeety wasn’t too bad. Good to see though that players like that don’t perform to their full level and we still put in an impressive performance.

Yesterday was the first time in a long time watching Cavan where our subs improved the team and made an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,568 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How do you lads see Cavan dealing with Peter Harte tomorrow, man marked or a defensive line to keep him out?
    Stop him and Cavan have a great chance I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

While beating Roscommon last weekend was fantastic, they are a team that Cavan should have been beating regularly enough going back a good few years now. A good sign that that run of defeats has been broken. Tyrone now are a side rated much higher than Cavan so a win would be a real sign of progress and set this up to hopefully be a good solid first year for new management. Wins against teams rated higher are very scarce going back a long time now. Hopefully Saturday night changes that.

How do you lads see Cavan dealing with Peter Harte tomorrow, man marked or a defensive line to keep him out?
    Stop him and Cavan have a great chance I feel.

Killian Clarke did a great job on Enda Smith last week, Seamus O’Shea against Kerry and Walsh from Galway so he may pick him up.

Martin Reilly has also picked him up in the past but then we lose Martin as an attacking threat.

Unsurprisingly, the same team as last week has been named for this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Killian Clarke did a great job on Enda Smith last week, Seamus O’Shea against Kerry and Walsh from Galway so he may pick him up.

Martin Reilly has also picked him up in the past but then we lose Martin as an attacking threat.

Unsurprisingly, the same team as last week has been named for this evening.

Is Gearoid Mckiernan expected to see any game time in this league?

• Advertisement

Is Gearoid Mckiernan expected to see any game time in this league?

He and Caoimhin O’Reilly started back running before the Roscommon game. I’d imagine they may be able for the subs bench after the two week break when we face Monaghan.

Mickey has said his priority is the Championship so he may not rush them back. He’s taken it very slowly with Gerry Smith which is right IMO. Something we’ve done in the past in Cavan is rushed players back too quickly.

Anyone know what Killian Clarke was sent off for?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,568 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Striking from the commentary or stupidity from others.
    Looks like a bit of a hiding now.o

Two yellows.

Two yellows.

Mickey Graham can't fix in a few months what has been a problem for the best part of a decade but discipline needs work. The top sides play with aggression but don't go over the line.

Last night was disappointing. After a decent first half where we did all we could by just staying in the game considering the conditions, the second half was dreadful.

The chance of staying in Division 1 now is very slight. A big performance is needed against Monaghan. Hopefully Gerry Smith back fully fit and some others can move towards a sub role as I've previously said.

Conor Madden badly needs another threat inside with him because Jack and Clerkin aren't offering enough. Other than those two, I'd be largely happy with the rest of the team.

Mickey Graham can't fix in a few months what has been a problem for the best part of a decade but discipline needs work. The top sides play with aggression but don't go over the line.

Last night was disappointing. After a decent first half where we did all we could by just staying in the game considering the conditions, the second half was dreadful.

The chance of staying in Division 1 now is very slight. A big performance is needed against Monaghan. Hopefully Gerry Smith back fully fit and some others can move towards a sub role as I've previously said.

Conor Madden badly needs another threat inside with him because Jack and Clerkin aren't offering enough. Other than those two, I'd be largely happy with the rest of the team.

Could Mackey be played inside and told stay inside so he doesn't goose himself. Remember him playing there years ago during league and shooting lights out.

Could Mackey be played inside and told stay inside so he doesn't goose himself. Remember him playing there years ago during league and shooting lights out.

In a word, no. Mackey was a lot younger then and it was a lower division. I don’t think Mackey should be starting any game now. He’s better as an impact sub.

McVeety played a more forward role in the league last year and I think he should take up that position again with Smith back now to cover his running role from the backs.

In a word, no. Mackey was a lot younger then and it was a lower division. I don’t think Mackey should be starting any game now. He’s better as an impact sub.

McVeety played a more forward role in the league last year and I think he should take up that position again with Smith back now to cover his running role from the backs.

Mackey on one leg is better than Clerkin and Brady.

Mackey on one leg is better than Clerkin and Brady.

You’re thinking of Mackey of five years ago. I’d give others a chance before Mackey e.g. McKiernan, Kevin Tierney (if fit), McVeety. Mackey hasn’t the legs for a full game anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Two harsh yellows, second was in front of me, a coming together in MF, nothing nasty.

His black card v Galway was stupid, but this was very harsh.......didnt think his first yellow was a card either, although I was a bit away from it, so I could stand corrected on that one.

Re Mackey....he has to play....he was so much better than anything that started. He has the vision that nobody else has.....there are ways to utilise him better. Football should be much more than running around like a blue arsed fly, and racking up the 10k for stats.
    Play him for Clerkin, i cant recall him even touching the ball, and he didnt do a whole lot in terms of tracking back, busting a gut, or turnovers. Play him as a corner forward with a licence to roam, or to play of a FF line of Madden and one of the Lacken boys......im not sure which of them is the FF that kicked the free/mark

Advertisement