Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I presume the BBC and Sky schedules will be brought forward today. Checked their tv guides and they haven't been changed, yet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I presume the BBC and Sky schedules will be brought forward today. Checked their tv guides and they haven't been changed, yet

It has on my Sky Q, live coverage from 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

He tried yesterday .

But I'm sure Mcginley will get some link to Ryder cup to today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Aliss is in to bore everyone with his whinging again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Aliss is in to bore everyone with his whinging again.

Yeah we get it you don't like him, stop spamming the thread about it! Some of us enjoy listening to his commentaries!

• Advertisement

Yeah we get it you don't like him, stop spamming the thread about it! Some of us enjoy listening to his commentaries!

I don't like him, you like him. Both of us are allowed to express our views.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I don't like him, you like him. Both of us are allowed to express our views.

But not the same thing over and over please.

First Up wrote: »
    But not the same thing over and over please.

You talking about Aliss right? :D

You talking about Aliss right?

You

You

Humour fail. Like Aliss. :D

• Advertisement

Humour fail. Like Aliss.

It was neither accurate or funny. Give it a rest.

It was neither accurate or funny. Give it a rest.

Stop dragging this thread off topic. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Azinger and Harrington are great.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Azinger and Harrington are great.

No sign of Harry today!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Coverage of the players outside the final group has been terrible today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

sky88 wrote: »
    Coverage of the players outside the final group has been terrible today

But why would we want to see people in contention like Koepka and Poulter when we can watch Fitzpatrick and Fleetwood putting for pars to remain 10 back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Harrington back on BBC.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Between Sky, Eir and BBC, I think I've seen everything (and everyone) worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Every time that guy says buhrdey I want to throw a shoe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No sign off of Harry today!

He’s on now.

• Advertisement

I know I've been going on about him but saying that this is an anti climax takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I find Claude Harmon to be an absolute bore to listen to, he hasn't a fraction of his father's charisma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

I haven't watched too much golf lately but why are Sky Sports using a mix of their own commentators and the world feed commentary for coverage of the Made in Denmark this week? Does that suggest that money is tight in sky and they don't have enough commentators to do their own coverage? Or is there an agreement with European Tour productions who are in charge of the world feed for such an arrangement to take place with sky?

I haven't watched too much golf lately but why are Sky Sports using a mix of their own commentators and the world feed commentary for coverage of the Made in Denmark this week? Does that suggest that money is tight in sky and they don't have enough commentators to do their own coverage? Or is there an agreement with European Tour productions who are in charge of the world feed for such an arrangement to take place with sky?

Why are you asking us?

Why are you asking us?

It seems to me that sky are cutting back their on course commentary in European events from what I can gather, therefore they are using the world feed commentary, so if anyone can give a reason why there are doing this, then that will be most welcome. You certainly won't get the answer why they are doing this from sky themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It wouldn’t be that money is tight - 1) it’s likely that some are on a break after being over for the PGA last week

2) there’s so little interest in this tournament that there’s no need to send the full crew over

callaway92 wrote: »
    It wouldn’t be that money is tight - 1) it’s likely that some are on a break after being over for the PGA last week

2) there’s so little interest in this tournament that there’s no need to send the full crew over

I accept that but up to last year sky always has their own crew broadcasting their own feed, without any assistance from world feed commentary in the European events on the European tour. Possibly the signs that sky were reducing their on course commentary in Europe came at the Morocco Open when they did exactly the same i.e used commentators from the world feed as well as some of their own.

This is a 3 million euro tournament and there are some good players playing this week i.e Matt Wallace, Thorbjorn Olesen and Lee Westwood to name but a few so I don't buy that there is little interest in this tournament. It mightn't be that big of a deal, but at the same time I would rather watch paint dry than having to have to listen to Jay Townsend who is a bit of a pain to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I accept that but up to last year sky always has their own crew broadcasting their own feed, without any assistance from world feed commentary in the European events on the European tour. Possibly the signs that sky were reducing their on course commentary in Europe came at the Morocco Open when they did exactly the same i.e used commentators from the world feed as well as some of their own.

This is a 3 million euro tournament and there are some good players playing this week i.e Matt Wallace, Thorbjorn Olesen and Lee Westwood to name but a few so I don't buy that there is little interest in this tournament. It mightn't be that big of a deal, but at the same time I would rather watch paint dry than having to have to listen to Jay Townsend who is a bit of a pain to be honest.

They’ve often used world feed for smaller events, especially the South African/Asian ones on the Euro Tour.

You sounds like you’re trying to spin something up that just isn’t true.

There’s enough facts to look at before you should even be considering them being ‘short of money’ etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

callaway92 wrote: »
    They’ve often used world feed for smaller events, especially the South African/Asian ones on the Euro Tour.

You sounds like you’re trying to spin something up that just isn’t true.

There’s enough facts to look at before you should even be considering them being ‘short of money’ etc

Last couple of years they seem to send their own commentators over the cover PGA tour events more than they did before.Most of the time in the past you'd get the Golf Channel or CBS feed for PGA tour events but in the last few years we seem to be getting skys commentators more often.

I suspect sky are switching their focus to the PGA tour more than Europe as the vast majority of the best players play most of their golf on the PGA tour these days and also PGA tour is on TV at a much better time of the day than the European Tour is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well in terms of the main commentators for sky, I’d imagine they will stay over stateside until the US open and then head over to lahinch after that for the European big tournaments.

Advertisement