Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Frankel Foals Watch Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Despite his knocking in a few winners it was a fairly predictability crap week for Frankel in the group races. His Syrtis who had split future Gp1 winners Line Of Duty and Wonderment in his previous race looked to be a horse who'll fail to fulfill that early promise after he was mown down by the Intello colt Slalom at the end of the Gp2 Prix Noalles today. Syrtis was slow to get into into a slow enough top gear and Slalom ate up the ground to surge 2 1\2L by the hapless Syrtis.

Eminent who is now in Australia and renamed He's Eminent was an abysmal failure in the Winx race on Saturday.

EDIT: Also Frankely Awesome ( who has shown more tenacity than most of the Frankels in placing twice in a row in Gp1 company ) apparently went backwards after being beaten by an extra 2 1\2L by Verry Eleegant on Saturday compared to their previous meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

One of his NH horses cantered home midweek - can't remember the name but was impressive.

Edit: Solo Saxophone at Wetherby on Friday.

One of his NH horses cantered home midweek - can't remember the name but was impressive.

Edit: Solo Saxophone at Wetherby on Friday.

The slower pace of NH racing should suit the Frankels, they are the types to notch a heap of wins on the gaff tracks.

Despite being difficult beforehand, Cap Francais ran a fine staying on race in the Listed class Blue Riband Trial today at Epsom.

You'd think that such an unexposed horse would go on to much better things. I'd think that he's a typical Frankel, hard to assess, a bit highly strung and likely to be strongly punted on the next time he runs. If he runs in anyways half decent company next time I'll be gladly opposing him because he looks unreliable to my eyes.

Last week last year's 2,000 Guineas fourth Elarqam once again failed to live up to expectations as he slumped to a 5 3/4L 4th place finish in the Gp3 Brigadier Gerard stakes at Sandown. He ran on in the end leaving punters none the wiser as to whether he's gone at the game or just needs some reinventing.

tryfix wrote: »
    Despite his knocking in a few winners it was a fairly predictability crap week for Frankel in the group races. His Syrtis who had split future Gp1 winners Line Of Duty and Wonderment in his previous race looked to be a horse who'll fail to fulfill that early promise after he was mown down by the Intello colt Slalom at the end of the Gp2 Prix Noalles today. Syrtis was slow to get into into a slow enough top gear and Slalom ate up the ground to surge 2 1\2L by the hapless Syrtis.

Eminent who is now in Australia and renamed He's Eminent was an abysmal failure in the Winx race on Saturday.

EDIT: Also Frankely Awesome ( who has shown more tenacity than most of the Frankels in placing twice in a row in Gp1 company ) apparently went backwards after being beaten by an extra 2 1\2L by Verry Eleegant on Saturday compared to their previous meeting.

Apparently He's Eminent's awful run behind Winx can be put down to the use of ear muffs backfiring and now He's Eminent/Eminent is off to run in the QE II in Hong Kong which seems to be a very big ask.
    “He ran an excellent second in the Ranvet Stakes at Rosehill on soft ground that didn't suit him, then we decided to try him in ear muffs to get him to relax against Winx at Randwick and it backfired. He ambled out of the stalls and was at the back of the field throughout, so we've had a ceremonial burning of the ear muffs."

https://www.racingpost.com/news/international/eminent-set-to-fly-the-flag-for-britain-in-qeii-rumble-at-sha-tin/377460

• Advertisement

Veracious gets her group win at Sandown and impresses the commentators in regards to her future chances of improving again. Through the 2nd this was very much a group 3 class race and the result shouldn't be bigged up.

To my eyes Veracious was showing some quirks with her pulling early on and not finding much in front. The interviewer tried to get Ryan Moore to big up her potential but Ryan wasn't interested in taking the offer. I've huge respect for Stoute's patient training tactics but I think she's one to take on in the future.

True to form the favourite Veracious lets backers down like a ton of bricks today.

Is Michael Stoute's record of improving horses from 3-4 more of a colt thing than a filly thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Seemingly a fella called Galileo had the 1000 Guineas winner. Imagine if we had a thread on him.

Itziger wrote: »
    Seemingly a fella called Galileo had the 1000 Guineas winner. Imagine if we had a thread on him.

Ah that fella's stock don't need analysis they just get on with the job while the Frankels need a whole squad of psychiatrists to help them complete their tasks. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

East by Frankel going in the Poule d'Essai des Pouliches at Parislongchamp on Sunday.
    Surely Frankel offspring must win a proper classic soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Am i right in saying he didn't have a runner in either of the first two classics?

Don't trust any of these Frankel yokes. Does he have anything fancied for the derby?

• Advertisement

More prize money for frankel than galileo year to date. There's a whole world beyond tipperary lads.

More prize money for frankel than galileo year to date. There's a whole world beyond tipperary lads.

Newmarket's beyond Tipp as is Epsom.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Inion An Ri

Galileo is the current leading sire in both UK/Ire and Europe, with more than double the prize money of Frankel. Thanks to Dream Castle’s wins in Dubai, Frankel is $150K ahead of Galileo worldwide.

Jaysus, lads, call me old-fashioned (and you'd be right) but are we really comparing 1,000 Guineas, 2,000 Guineas, Oaks, Derbies, St Legers, Lockinge, Eclipse, Arcs, King Georges and the list goes on to some of the Dubai stuff and a few more Group Races??

You'd be laughed out of court.

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Am i right in saying he didn't have a runner in either of the first two classics?
    Don't trust any of these Frankel yokes. Does he have anything fancied for the derby?

Five Derby entries by Frankel (108 Derby entries listed)
    Casanova - form 4-2 (John Gosden)
    Ginistrelli - form 41-5 (Ed Walker)
    Invictus Spirit - unraced (Sir Michael Stoute)
    Logician - unraced (John Gosden)
    Old Glory - form 123- (A P O'Brien) ... 3rd in a Group 3 in 2018

Three Oaks entries by Frankel (60 Oaks entries listed)
    Anapurna - form 9-1 (John Gosden)
    Frankellina - form 1- (William Haggas)
    King Power - form 5-2 (Andrew Balding)
    The three of them are in the eight runner Oaks Trial at Lingfield tomorrow, Saturday, at 13:55, 1st, 3rd, 4th in the betting.

This year he has had Mehdaayih for the Oaks and she was an impressive winner of the Cheshire oaks this week.

Cap Francais is 2nd fav for the Lingfield Derby Trial after his fast finishing 2nd in the Blue Ribbon Trial at Epsom. He has 2 Fillies in the French 1,000 Guineas and not too much else going on.

The probably continued meteoric rise of Kingman is a big threat to Frankel's crown as darling stallion of the UK media and Juddmonte won't be slow about diverting their better mares from Frankel to Kingman if the results are going to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Kingman will have a better win rate with his progeny than the overrated Frankel. Sick of seeing all this "son of Frankel" rubbish anytime one of his offspring win something like a class2 handicap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭jkbkhhho7t

Aww lads there is no comparison the English will latch on to anything, galileo is the king and will remain so till he joins the greats in the sky

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Kingman will have a better win rate with his progeny than the overrated Frankel. Sick of seeing all this "son of Frankel" rubbish anytime one of his offspring win something like a class2 handicap

Kingman probably will have a better wins to runs ratio than Frankel in time. At the moment Frankel is 24% wins to runs Vs 22% for Kingman but Kingman's stock look like they will improve with age while the Frankels struggle to improve with age.

In fairness to Frankel he is a winner producing machine with a 69% winners to runners ratio. Kingman is only on 44% winners to runners. A fairer comparison would be on 2yo winners to runners because it's a level playing field. On that score Frankel is still at a very very impressive 47% while Kingman is at a more normal 35%. Which kind of proves the point that the Frankels are early bloomers who don't have a huge amount of improving in them as they mature.

Itziger wrote: »
    Jaysus, lads, call me old-fashioned (and you'd be right) but are we really comparing 1,000 Guineas, 2,000 Guineas, Oaks, Derbies, St Legers, Lockinge, Eclipse, Arcs, King Georges and the list goes on to some of the Dubai stuff and a few more Group Races??

You'd be laughed out of court.

I'm as old fashioned as they come but racing is a global game nowadays. That's just a fact.

The 'frankel has flopped at stud' line is completely absurd at this stage, it is arguing in the face of every statistic out there.

• Advertisement

Kingman probably will have a better wins to runs ratio than Frankel in time. At the moment Frankel is 24% wins to runs Vs 22% for Kingman but Kingman's stock look like they will improve with age while the Frankels struggle to improve with age.

In fairness to Frankel he is a winner producing machine with a 69% winners to runners ratio. Kingman is only on 44% winners to runners. A fairer comparison would be on 2yo winners to runners because it's a level playing field. On that score Frankel is still at a very very impressive 47% while Kingman is at a more normal 35%. Which kind of proves the point that the Frankels are early bloomers who don't have a huge amount of improving in them as they mature.

I respect your opinion but not sure I can agree with this. Frankel has had zero flashy 2 year olds and plenty of improvers. All his g1 winners are 3+ I think? Even this year look at dream castle or master of reality winning the vintage crop with some very big names in behind (could be a one off)

Anyone can pick through progeny and find what they want to see. The facts are stakes winners and prize money. IMHO.

I respect your opinion but not sure I can agree with this. Frankel has had zero flashy 2 year olds and plenty of improvers. All his g1 winners are 3+ I think? Even this year look at dream castle or master of reality winning the vintage crop with some very big names in behind (could be a one off)

Anyone can pick through progeny and find what they want to see. The facts are stakes winners and prize money. IMHO.

I'd like to be able to agree with you, because for a start the Frankel input is only half the story as his progeny will have as much input from their various dams as they will from having Frankel as their sire. There's one small problem in that the Frankels in their many shapes and sizes tend to follow certain patterns. Frankel had no shortage of flashy 2yos in his first seasons at stud until trainers observed that his first crop 2yos weren't training on too well and they may have made then made the decision to not over try them as 2yos. His first crop had the flashy 2yo Fair Eva who won a gp3 at Royal Ascot, Cunco his very first 2yo winner was multiple listed placed As a 2yo, Queen Kindly won a Gp2 2yo race, Frankuus won at listed and Gp3 as a 2yo. None of them developed into Gp1 placed horses.

G3 winning 2yo Elarqam made it as far as 4th in the Guineas, the O'Brien pair of 2yo Gp winners Nelson and Rostropovich showed how bringing them along slowly would allow them to retain their form from season to season but they ended up reaching their highest ratings when used for the ignoble task of pacemaking.

As regards stakes winners and prize money, I'd suggest you look at Australian racing where there are a silly amount of big money G1 and G2 races which are often won by OR 108 to OR 113 type horses who wouldn't have the opportunity to win those kinds of races or prize money in Europe. Proper Ratings are the mark of a horses ability.

I used the term early bloomers rather than precocious to try to indicate that in general his stock are close to their peaks within the first half dozen races of their careers as they move from their maiden wins to group company.

For example you quote the 5 year old G1 winner Dream Castle as an example of how the Frankels can improve with age. I myself was quite taken with what Dream Castle was doing at the start of this year out in Meydan, but then he came badly unstuck when he ran against a hardened G1 field on World Cup Night.

Dream Castle has actually improved very little from the May of his 3yo career. On only his third ever run he ran to RPR 114, OR 113 when 5th in 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket. He failed to progress from that run until he was Gelded at the end of his first season in Dubai, it was this operation that allows horses to concentrate on their racing that allowed him to improve through 3 races in the Spring in Meydan. He improved by 4Lbs OR and just 2Lbs RPR due to being gelded, that's a standard response to being gelded rather than being an age related improvement of form from racing experience. He has apparently failed to improve on his initial G1 win.
    Similarly Master Of Reality's surprise G3 win at the Curragh was down to it being his first run since he was gelded and Capri simply ran way below his previous form in that race. The form equals a neck beating of a 6yo 110 rated horse who was giving him a pound, a long way from what could be expected of Capri.

Of all Frankels Gp1 winners only the mighty Cracksman has shown proper improvement from repeatedly racing in Gp1 company and his biggest improvement was brought on by finally running on the Soft Ground that he needed to produce his best. He also never improved his rating from his initial G1 win as a 3yo.

Without Parole hit OR 119, RPR 120 on his 4th ever run. He has seemingly declined in his 4 runs since to RPR 109 despite being trained by a master trainer with a good handle on the Frankels. He has failed so far to improve on his G1 win.

Soul Stirring hit her peak RPR 112 as a G1 winning 2yo and repeated that RPR twice in her next 3 runs as a 3yo one of which was a G1 win over a stepped up to 12f. She failed to improve on her first G1 win.

Call The Wind won his G1 after being stepped up to 2m4f at the end of his first season. He appears to not have run prior to his 4th year and was Gelded before his first run. He apparently improved 2LB on RPR ratings from his 114 G1 win in France to 116 for his 3rd over 2m in Meydan.

There's a theme there that says the Frankels tend to flatten out once they've reached G1 company and it's instructive that many of his stock seem to need gelding to keep/get them interested in the game.

Another one of his stock that hit a good height of form is Monarchs Glen who couldn't win a pattern race until he was Gelded and went on to to achieve a G1 level 121 in Listed company but he bombed out in two runs in G1 company after that. These Frankels often seem to lose their form in true G1 company.

The need to geld so many of his better stock points to temperament problems or more correctly I think they start to think about the game after a short enough time racing.

I'm as old fashioned as they come but racing is a global game nowadays. That's just a fact.

The 'frankel has flopped at stud' line is completely absurd at this stage, it is arguing in the face of every statistic out there.
    If you are saying Frankel is a success on "every statistic out there" then put up those statistics, and do not be selective.
    At the moment he is in 13th position in General Sires 2019 Great Britain on the Arion Pedigrees website.
    Galileo is 1st, Invincible Spirit 2nd, Dark Angel 3rd.

Yum yum, another wide margin Oaks Trial winner for Frankel and Gosden with Anapurna. A win in the Oaks would fill a big hole in Frankel's CV by providing him with a proper middle distance 3yo filly.

Cap Francais predictably failing to find the improvement that his Epsom 2nd promised.

If you are saying Frankel is a success on "every statistic out there" then put up those statistics, and do not be selective.
    At the moment he is in 13th position in General Sires 2019 Great Britain on the Arion Pedigrees website.
    Galileo is 1st, Invincible Spirit 2nd, Dark Angel 3rd.

Why would you restrict it to UK prize money? That's what I call being selective.

World wide stats for EU sires here, use any stats you like to tell me he's not a success: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/tdn-sire-stats/?txbYear=2019&crops=0&sbYear=2019&srt=100&nao=2&txbFR=NHB&fr=NHB&ob=1&cy=0&naocy=3&frcy=NHB&obcy=1#tot

Why would you restrict it to UK prize money? That's what I call being selective.

World wide stats for EU sires here, use any stats you like to tell me he's not a success: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/tdn-sire-stats/?txbYear=2019&crops=0&sbYear=2019&srt=100&nao=2&txbFR=NHB&fr=NHB&ob=1&cy=0&naocy=3&frcy=NHB&obcy=1#tot

BTW if you look at the same list for last year he's third behind you know who and you know who as well.

From three crops, and with a higher earnings per starter number than any sire in Europe (including you know who)

BTW if you look at the same list for last year he's third behind you know who and you know who as well.

From three crops, and with a higher earnings per starter number than any sire in Europe (including you know who)

He's definitely a very successful sire, the stats don't lie with a huge amount of black type horses and any amount of 100+ RPR performers. For all his success there's still plenty to be wary of with his runners and questions re his record as a Classic sire that a few Classic wins would put to bed.

I asked you to back your claim that Frankel is a success.
    You pointed me to a General Sire Year To Date 2019 Worldwide money list.
    It show Frankel in 6th place in the money list for 2019, with his top earner shown as Senator (2014) (GB).

It took me a while to trace Senator as he is not easily found.
    He was exported to Hong Kong in 2017 and renamed Simply Brilliant.

He had two UK wins, at Leicester and Carlisle, and has had six wins in Hong Kong since.
    He has earnings of GBP 1,008,663 (converted) and has an RPR 113.
    In Great Britain his earnings were GBP 4,528 + 3,234 + 466 +1,404 = GBP 9,632.
    Another way of stating that is just over 99% of his earnings are in Hong Kong.
    His most recent earnings were GBP 207,207 for 3rd place in the Group 1 Hong Kong Mile.

This is similar to the record Frankel's Japan Oaks Group 1 winner Soul Stirring.
    She won GBP 868,131 for that Oaks, and has GBP 1,487,526 lifetime earnings. The Oaks win was her third lifetime win from four starts.
    Since then she has run seven times for one 3rd place.

Money won in countries where the prizemoney is multiples of that earned in Europe is one measure of success.

What I prefer as a measure of sire ability is Group race wins, and preferably Group 1 and Classic wins.
    I think Frankel progeny have difficulty getting beyond Group 3 level, with the exception of Cracksman, whose dam line is similar to the multiple Group 1 winner Golden Horn.

Perhaps Frankel can shine in the three remaining English classic races, the Oaks, Derby, St Leger.
    As pointed out above he was not represented in the first two classics.
    He has a runner in a French classic tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Inion An Ri

He won’t be having a runner in the Derby. His 5 remaining entries have either not run at all (x2), not run this year, haven’t won a race yet, or were well beaten last time out in a novice race. No obvious St Leger candidate yet.

Whatever about his colts, his fillies in particular seem to find it difficult to maintain their form. And I can’t think of a single filly that kept progressing. But there may be a first, of course. ��

• Advertisement

Frankel has two runners, Suphala and East, in the Poule d'Essai des Pouliches, at 15:30 tomorrow, ParisLongchamp, 10 runners.
    My pick is Watch Me.
    The ground is heavy, and Longchamp heavy can be heavy heavy.

Advertisement