Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavy Rain Friday-Saturday 03/04 & Risk of Snow Saturday 04

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A rough idea of accumulations over the last 24hrs, based only on radar returns. Keep in mind however just how crap coverage of the Shannon radar is, which this image alone is testament to.

1600_24std.gif

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Connemara and west Galway in general is a beautiful area, but east of the Corrib, I dunno, I would call it more bland than beautiful. Hard to believe we live in the same county really.

Loughrea? The view when you pass Capataggle Cross on the old Dublin-Galway road westbound?

We digress. Currently hearing the lashing outside from the roof of my Galway city workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Down to drizzle in east galway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The Arpege model and the GFS both currently suggesting level 2 outcomes for parts of west Munster, a zone between Cork city and west Cork county north to east Connacht, including most of Clare, and also extending into south Ulster and north Leinster, can expect an additional 30-60 mm of rain to Sunday. Places further west can expect 20-40 mm, and then to the east (and south) of the zone outlined above, amounts fall off rather quickly but there could be localized heavier amounts on east facing slopes in this set-up.

Basically the low now approaching Wexford will drift north for 36 hours and continue to throw moisture back to the north and west, then when it's weakening on Saturday night, an Atlantic low will try to undercut and this will just reorient the frontal zones overnight to renew rainfall in almost the same areas.

Given the reports on here already, this additional rainfall is sure to cause widespread flooding of flood plain and poorly drained areas, mudslides and possible washouts on hilly terrain.

As to the snow potential I agree that is probably restricted to very high elevations around Saturday night but snow could mix in down to about 300 metres at times, this sort of set-up does not require very low 850 mb temps (-3 or -4 can be tolerable) or thicknesses much below 528 dm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Last night the models showed the low centre moving up the Irish Sea/Welsh coast tomorrow but now they show it passing along our east coast. This means the axis of warm air is also shifted west over us tomorrow and with that reduced the chance of snow for low levels. The best-looking sounding for low levels is from Roscommon in the morning. Elsewhere not much happening snow-wise but plenty on mountains.

nmmuk-1-18-0_pwq7.png

sondagewrf_222_424_18_0_1488567505.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Rain has eased here now.Alot of land looking very flooded already in the dark, tomorrow and Sunday will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭The_Outsider

Have a total so far of 37.8mm today. Garden drains overwhelmed but surprisingly not as bad as the short term torrential rain last weekend (Dorris?).
    The local stream predictably has broken it's bank and is now flowing merrily across the road.
    If it's like this here, the poor Corkonians have it a lot worse I'd imagine.
    And it's not over yet!:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Have a total so far of 37.8mm today. Garden drains overwhelmed but surprisingly not as bad as the short term torrential rain last weekend (Dorris?).
    The local stream predictably has broken it's bank and is now flowing merrily across the road.
    If it's like this here, the poor Corkonians have it a lot worse I'd imagine.
    And it's not over yet!:eek:

Oh I think we can match ye here in Kerry :) . Just over 40mm so far, a lull there in the early evening but raining again. Streams flooded and seen water gushing up out of manhole covers and the roads near me in bits again.Will have to get out the shovel and clear a few drains around the house tomorrow.

XNt3Mx3.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A rough idea of the rainfall predicted between here and tomorrow night....

DTGiKoC.gif

Some totals since midnight yesterday at Met Éireann stations (C/O Met Éireann & The Irish Weather Network)

Moorpark: 39.0mm
    Shannon: 36.7mm
    Cork Apt: 34.6mm
    Mace Hd: 30.7mm
    Claremorris: 26.2mm

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

A rough idea of the rainfall predicted between here and tomorrow night....

DTGiKoC.gif

Depressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

km79 wrote: »
    Depressing

Careful now ha ha. I was thinking of this thread on my commute this morning. Torrential rain gusty winds horrendous driving conditions. Thanks syran for some historical data on march. This really is a bad spell though it's kinda depressing allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Moderate Rain now in Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

Careful now ha ha. I was thinking of this thread on my commute this morning. Torrential rain gusty winds horrendous driving conditions. Thanks syran for some historical data on march. This really is a bad spell though it's kinda depressing allright.

Wet ,very wet in Arklow until Lunchtime
    Then we had about 3 hours of nice weather with some Sun
    A right tonic
    Back to rain then
    Currently 7.3c with a dew point of 7c so Rain and copious quantities of it on the tops of the Wicklow mtns tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

A horrible night out there, sheets of sleet pelting the house, just yuk. 2.3C

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

A horrible night out there, sheets of sleet pelting the house, just yuk. 2.3C

Whereabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

pilly wrote: »
    Whereabouts?

South east sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Wet ,very wet in Arklow until Lunchtime
    Then we had about 3 hours of nice weather with some Sun
    A right tonic
    Back to rain then
    Currently 7.3c with a dew point of 7c so Rain and copious quantities of it on the tops of the Wicklow mtns tonight

Yep :( Sunday morning looks good for Wicklow Mountains though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lashing in Galway again small respite for around an hour

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

side roads here have alot of surface water on them, we're really starting to make up for the months of dryish weather over the past few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

43.4mm in 24 hours here in West Clare, current rate of 2.8mm/h.

I can't imagine how wet the fields will be on Sunday!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    43.4mm in 24 hours here in West Clare, current rate of 2.8mm/h.

I can't imagine how wet the fields will be on Sunday!

It's what's known locally as a 'bollix of a night' :cool: Rain not too heavy here but in that wind, it is nasty.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

we're only about a day away from Ciaran Muloooooooy of RTE news going hysterical about 'flooding ' of the houses built in the Shannon FLOOD plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Lashing in Galway again small respite for around an hour

Omg anybody watching the Connacht rugby match this evening ??? The rain was unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Wet snow for the last hour and a half, 0.3C. S.E Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Had no idea the wind was going to be like this last night. No sleep to be had and now more rain .... not sure what like it is out there yet.

Cottage being battered yet again.. wind-weary....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Been an attempt at snow on the windows.

met . ie say FRESH for wind here but it is more than that. Been out to get coal in and all but blown off my feet. Alarming.
    Sheer brutal power...

West Connemara 400 ft asl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

It's that sickening feeling you get when you go out to your beloved little shed cum man cave only to discover that the quick succession of recent winter storms stripped the felt clean off the back of the roof. The roof front is perfect and the true extent of the carnage is only evident when you step inside.

The upshot is everything inside is ruined :mad:

Wind direction graph from my station over the last 24hrs.

Mnc9qDf.png

Might be a big hard to comprehend but what it shows is the very gradual backing of wind direction from ENE to NW as the low centre to the south moved up along the east coast. Current direction NW.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Grand day in north meath today, dry with sunny spells every now and again, big change from yesterday and what i expected today

Advertisement