Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rtx 3090, did I buy a lemon?

Options
  • 11-04-2021 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

I have been looking for an rtx for my new build (like every one else) and had no joy.
    Today I think I just got one on Amazon.es but it's all in Spanish (go figure).
    Can anyone advise if the...

"Palit GeForce RTX 3090 GamingPro Tarjeta gráfica GDDR6X de 24 GB, núcleo 10496, GPU de 1395 MHz, Boost, 3 x DisplayPort, HDMI, Advanced TurboFan 3.0"

...is a total lemon or have I managed to clinch a hens tooth?

Please give me good news and that I haven't pissed away €600

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

I saw several similar items on amazon spain and italy. They seem to offer 3090's for crazy low money, they also seem to mostly be german based amazon account but are not available on amazon.de. They are not dispatched from Amazon which is a flag too.

I would cancel the order immediately!

I have placed 2 orders on the "trigger finger RTX search" and cancelled immediately.

Its 99.99999999999999999999% a scam.

Comment from reviews:
    "This is a scam, they advertise the products less than half a price, but they never send you anything, they are scam, just blocking your money for more than 10 days with no response at all. Avoid this Seller!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Amazon marketplace has turned the Amazon sites into a veritable minefield . They aren't too much better than eBay at the rate they are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Covered by amazon protection means nothing? No? Dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If it seems too good to be true....

Well tried to cancel with amazon.
    Tried to cancel with BOI but its too late.

... Great start to the day :(

• Advertisement

Hard Lesson. Been that soldier, well feel like that after buying my intel mac mini.
    Even if I bought off apple website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Probably a broken one.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Inviere

Did the product page say "covered by Amazon customer protection"? Either way, you'll likely be covered under your credit cards own protection...you'll just need to wait long enough to prove to them that it was indeed a scam (assuming you used credit card and not debit card)

Inviere wrote: »
    Did the product page say "covered by Amazon customer protection"? Either way, you'll likely be covered under your credit cards own protection...you'll just need to wait long enough to prove to them that it was indeed a scam (assuming you used credit card and not debit card)
    Yeah covered by amazon customer protection, so hopefully that helps.

It seems the scam is that the cancel the order and ask you to make a bank transfer.
    Not sure how that works if they already have the money, why cancel? But if that's the scam I might get a lucky break.
    Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

600 quid for a GPU that's hens teeth to get at the normal rrp of 3 times that is one of the biggest red flags possible.

Amazon support should be able to help you out though, they usually back the buyer 99% of the time.

• Advertisement

600 quid for a GPU that's hens teeth to get at the normal rrp of 3 times that is one of the biggest red flags possible.

Amazon support should be able to help you out though, they usually back the buyer 99% of the time.
    yeah, i wasn't up with prices and figured it was just cheaper in Spain.

Anyway it seems the scam is that they cancel your order and then ask you to make payment via bank transfer. So fingers crossed that's what the pull.
    Pain in the hoop but I might just dodge this bullet yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Thats the usual amazon 3rd seller scam...they put up a 3090 for 600...you pay..seller contacts you saying they will ship it to you if you pay them in bitcoin instead..burned a few people on some of the alert discords....600 for a 3090 which usually sells for 3k....should have been a dead give away to be honest

I hope you get your money back i really do

Got an email from amazon saying the order is cancelled and I'll get the refund in 3 to 5 working days.

Sigh. Thanks for the help/moral support

Boo ya! Money back in my account!

So now my moneys back, I see an RTX 3060 for €800. This time from a legit seller.

How much should I be spending? I'm seeing €600, but is that realistic?

Specifically a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Vision OC 12G, 12288 MB GDDR6

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Zulu wrote: »
    So now my moneys back, I see an RTX 3060 for €800. This time from a legit seller.

Depends how desperate you are I guess, RRP was £420 for them on Currys, so €600 is a fairly big markup but €800 is mental and more than rrp for a 3080 or 6800XT.

Depends how desperate you are I guess, RRP was £420 for them on Currys, so €600 is a fairly big markup but €800 is mental and more than rrp for a 3080 or 6800XT.

I'm desperate, but not that desperate I guess. I've a 6 year old machine and long overdue an upgrade. Gfx cards are breaking my heart

Thanks Squidgy

You using the discord parts alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭SeanW

The graphics card market is a dumpster fire right now and its not likely to get better any time soon. I'd really hate to reward scalpers with crazy money and even if you have a stock alert, you have literally seconds to buy a card before it goes out of stock. Can you make do with what you have until the PC hardware market is in something resembling a state of sanity?

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    Can you make do with what you have until the PC hardware market is in something resembling a state of sanity?
    I mean it's working. But it's ****.

No just gpu tracker. Must try to find that discord, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

What CPU do you have? Might be time for a full new system, and pre-builts are the only way forward at the moment. A six year old CPU is likely to choke any of these new GPU's in most modern games.

oh it's time for a full new system alright! Therein lies my problem I've been holding off months (since last summer) and starting to loose patience.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.40GHz
    RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
    GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
    Storage: 250GB SSD & 1TB Sata HDD

Is this the "crtl-Alt-Stock" discord? or something else?

I'll check the name

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

It's called part alert

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    It's called part alert
    humm, when i search for part alert I only get "CtrlAltStock.com"

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

When using part alerts twitter page I've noticed on occasion there is a time lag between the notifications I received on my phone and on my desktop, while it doesn't happen all the time in general I found desktop notifications to be quicker. I've also found that some GPU stock may be available for a number of minutes before part alert sounds. For example on Sunday I got this amazon Spain preorder :- https://www.amazon.es/Gigabyte-Radeon-6700-Gaming-GDDR6/dp/B08Y746XN7, it comes in and out of stock a lot. Since Sunday I've kept a periodic eye on the web page and on a couple of occasions I noticed it was in stock and the twitter part alert sounded about a minute later. When your competing against bots that time difference is a killer.

The GPU market is nuts, the pre-order I got from amazon is 200 euro above RRP, I'm not sure if ill go a head with it but 200 euro above RRP seems normal from none reseller. Last night I spotted this 1660 Super - https://www.alternate.de/EVGA/GeForce-GTX-1660-SUPER-SC-ULTRA-GAMING-Grafikkarte/html/product/1594416. Out of curiosity I put through an order (well more of a reserve process with Alternate) today they came back with a quote of 412 euro with shipping to Ireland, again its well above what you expect to pay from retailer but its better than adverts :pac:

The RTX series cards that do appear on amazon (direct from amazon) are impossible for non bot buyers to get.

EDIT:- The Alternate DE link above is now dead as it's out of stock but its was a EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super SC Ultra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I've seen these Spanish listings for months now, they come and go. I wonder if it's a scam attempt, or just someone with a lot of time on their hands trying to fool the bots.

Advertisement