Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rtx 3090, did I buy a lemon?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    It's called part alert

That one is great tbh. Used it just before Christmas, and was able to grab a 5900x and 3080FE from it. Obviously, the FE option is currently closed to Ireland, but if you follow their twitter stream or get on their discord channel, and happen to get the right alert at the right time, you've got a much better chance.

No longer on the discord, so can't link to that.

Twitter:
    PartAlert
    ZenAlert

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

Zulu wrote: »
    I mean it's working. But it's ****.
    I know how you feel, I was going to build a new PC last summer but decided to wait and see if Ampere/RDNA2 would be better for graphics ... kicking myself now.

Ethereum just passed €2000 per coin, so basically you can forget about buying a graphics card, at least one over 4GB, for the foreseeable future. I can't say for sure when the PC hardware market will be back into something resembling sanity. But a few things will happen either around New Years or at some point in the near future.

Firstly, some cryptocurrency systems like Ethereum are going to move to at least a partial "proof of stake" system for expanding their coin supply. Secondly, given the way most cryptocurrencies have been rising over the past year, some of that rise could be a "bubble" and in any correction, some of that price may be lost. That too, when it happens, could loosen up supplies. Also, Intel is entering the high-end/gaming GPU market likely with a brand new 6nm TSMC node, so their Xe graphics may add significantly to GPU supplies. Finally, both NVIDIA and AMD will be releasing new graphics cards in 2022, both of which are likely to be based on a 5nm process, so at the very least Ampere and RDNA 2 will be "last gen" tech by that point, which might at the very least make it cheaper/more broadly available. Of course, it will be last gen tech at that point.

Another suggestion I've seen from Tech Youtubers is that with DDR5 becoming mainstream soon, it will be possible to make APUs/iGPUs that don't totally suck, as DDR5 will be significantly faster than DDR4. So you could see Intel processors with OK-ish Xe graphics, and AMD processors with a small RDNA/Radeon core onboard. But again we're going to have to wait for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

All 3 of them are looking to use TSMC and they are small customers compared to the likes of Apple so supply will definitely still be an issue.

If more fabs were competitive the problem wouldn't be half as bad. I think it's going to be at least 18-24 months before this problem resolves itself. I hope I'm wrong.

The other chip makers need to pull the finger out and get competitive with TSMC again or the 3 way competition between intel, Nvidia and AMD will be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

SeanW wrote: »
    I know how you feel, I was going to build a new PC last summer but decided to wait and see if Ampere/RDNA2 would be better for graphics ... kicking myself now.

Ethereum just passed €2000 per coin, so basically you can forget about buying a graphics card, at least one over 4GB, for the foreseeable future. I can't say for sure when the PC hardware market will be back into something resembling sanity. But a few things will happen either around New Years or at some point in the near future.

Firstly, some cryptocurrency systems like Ethereum are going to move to at least a partial "proof of stake" system for expanding their coin supply. Secondly, given the way most cryptocurrencies have been rising over the past year, some of that rise could be a "bubble" and in any correction, some of that price may be lost. That too, when it happens, could loosen up supplies. Also, Intel is entering the high-end/gaming GPU market likely with a brand new 6nm TSMC node, so their Xe graphics may add significantly to GPU supplies. Finally, both NVIDIA and AMD will be releasing new graphics cards in 2022, both of which are likely to be based on a 5nm process, so at the very least Ampere and RDNA 2 will be "last gen" tech by that point, which might at the very least make it cheaper/more broadly available. Of course, it will be last gen tech at that point.

Another suggestion I've seen from Tech Youtubers is that with DDR5 becoming mainstream soon, it will be possible to make APUs/iGPUs that don't totally suck, as DDR5 will be significantly faster than DDR4. So you could see Intel processors with OK-ish Xe graphics, and AMD processors with a small RDNA/Radeon core onboard. But again we're going to have to wait for that.

Thats why I'm going to mine on my imminent RTX3090 asap to recoup some of the eye watering cost of it. Even if the July update to Ethereum makes it less profitable and smaller single GPU miners like me start to pull out and sell their cards, its not as much of a concern for me because I'm not mining for outright profit as a source of income but rather just to pay off as much of the cost of the card as I can while GPU mining is still a thing. ie. Probably a terrible time to invest in a 3090 at current pricing with the GPU mining window closing from a pure profitability perspective (Cost of hardware -v-mining profit/day -v- time left to mine on GPU's) However, I bought it for VR gaming and 4K60 gamestreaming first and foremost so my end goal was never to make more in mining profit than the card cost to buy. My only goal is to make a grand or so in the time remaining to offset the insane purchase cost of the card.

I'm already in an advantageous position because the insane new GPU prices are mirrored by the insane S/H GPU prices and I happen to have a GTX1080 and RTX2060 to sell to fund the new PC which should yield about €1000 at current insane S/H GPU prices.

WRT to Intel GPU's. If they were using their own Fabs to build them than they would be a NET positive in terms of GPU supply. However, given they are using TSMC who are already running at near 100% capacity supplying all their other contracts like Apple and AMD and with new fabs having multiyear lead times, I don't see how Intel entering the fray with TSMC produced dies adds to GPU world supply when any capacity at TMSC they buy is capacity that AMD can't buy to meet the demand of RDNA2.

Advertisement