Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

batman75 wrote: »
    Blowing up Mountbatten and the others on board was a shocking act one of many perpetrated by the IRA. This, Warrington and Jean McConville to my mind were counter productive acts by a cowardly guerilla army. It was a campaign of terror which failed in its ultimate goal of removing British governance from the island.
    I would take anything SF says with a pinch of salt. McGuinness told Denis Donaldson his life was not in danger. He was subsequently assassinated.
    The Real IRA claimed to have killed Donaldson, not the PIRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭jmcc

We don't know what extent SFs database is being used. So far we know that they compiled data from the electoral register, information from party activists on the ground and peoples social media activity into a central database, unclear how exactly this info is used and who has access
    I'd like to see how it was done and whether it was just a voting intentions database that politicians generally use. Politicians, at least the smart ones, have been doing this kind of voter intention profiling for decades and know which house is an FF house and which is an FG house etc. It is how they make best use of their canvassing time.

With Covid, the usual options for canvassing have been reduced and Facebook and Social Media have become more important.
    Happy to wait for the DPC to investigate but in principle im not really comfortable any political party building up this kind of profile of me or the population in general.
    From the description, it is very different to what Cambridge Analytica did. I'm not sure that the DPC will investigate this if SF answers the questions and shows that there was no breach of GDPR. The Facebook investigation is going to take priority for the moment.

Regards...jmcc

markodaly wrote: »
    You are right, it's worse and blatant breach of GDPR.
    How and what part of the GDPR has been breached?

Have you had access to the SF Abu sysem or are you just relying on the stuff from Varadkar's biographer?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

We don't know what extent SFs database is being used. So far we know that they compiled data from the electoral register, information from party activists on the ground and peoples social media activity into a central database, unclear how exactly this info is used and who has access

Happy to wait for the DPC to investigate but in principle im not really comfortable any political party building up this kind of profile of me or the population in general.

we know nothing but gossip from the biographer of a man - said man being the leader of a party in opposition to SF - who's currently under investigation.

I cant believe people cant see whats going on there. I can bet SF have no profile on you but they probably have an outline of who gives them support at local levels. Im pretty sure ALL parties have that kind of info.

Non story and a bad attempt at deflection from the real problems the government faces (like Leo being under investigation and interrogated for 8 or 9 hours or whatever it was).

Interesting that you are more worried about something you have no evidence for than something that there is evidence for. Head in the sand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

maccored wrote: »
    we know nothing but gossip from the biographer of a man - said man being the leader of a party in opposition to SF - who's currently under investigation.

I cant believe people cant see whats going on there. I can bet SF have no profile on you but they probably have an outline of who gives them support at local levels. Im pretty sure ALL parties have that kind of info.

Non story and a bad attempt at deflection from the real problems the government faces (like Leo being under investigation and interrogated for 8 or 9 hours or whatever it was).

Interesting that you are more worried about something you have no evidence for than something that there is evidence for. Head in the sand stuff.

Its been reported in several publications that this database is combining data from the electoral register and party activists info with unspecified data from Facebook. I've asked a few reasonable questions there, and your first response is that "they are all at it" (citation needed) and "what about leo" - yet I'm somehow the one sticking my head in the sand?

Its a bit ****ing tiring that every minor story about sinn fein is painted as some deflection planted by FG. Its a sinn fein thread about sinn fein. Head in the sand stuff indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's time the Head of the British Armed Forces addressed that alright. Anywhere in the world they did it for that matter.

Disingenuous disrespectful nauseating whataboutery.

You wouldn't dare say that to the face of the family of Paul Maxwell, so you look a really brave man to state that on an anonymous internet board.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,074 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Disingenuous disrespectful nauseating whataboutery.

You wouldn't dare say that to the face of the family of Paul Maxwell, so you look a really brave man to state that on an anonymous internet board.

Having to remind high moral grounders that children got killed by all sides is what is nauseating actually.

Why would I not dare say it to the family of Paul Maxwell? The victims of the tragedy that was the conflict/war here are painfully aware of the fact that many children died.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Its been reported in several publications that this database is combining data from the electoral register and party activists info with unspecified data from Facebook. I've asked a few reasonable questions there, and your first response is that "they are all at it" (citation needed) and "what about leo" - yet I'm somehow the one sticking my head in the sand?

Its a bit ****ing tiring that every minor story about sinn fein is painted as some deflection planted by FG. Its a sinn fein thread about sinn fein. Head in the sand stuff indeed

you said yourself we dont actually know whats in the database .....

jmcc wrote: »
    I'd like to see how it was done and whether it was just a voting intentions database that politicians generally use. Politicians, at least the smart ones, have been doing this kind of voter intention profiling for decades and know which house is an FF house and which is an FG house etc. It is how they make best use of their canvassing time.

With Covid, the usual options for canvassing have been reduced and Facebook and Social Media have become more important.

From the description, it is very different to what Cambridge Analytica did. I'm not sure that the DPC will investigate this if SF answers the questions and shows that there was no breach of GDPR. The Facebook investigation is going to take priority for the moment.

Regards...jmcc

A voting intentions database?

The principle of consent applies to that and there is a clear breach of GDPR.

We don't know whether it is different to what Cambridge Analytica did, it could be much less, it could be much more. However, for example, if Sinn Fein use a central database to target where resources such as cars for election day should be put in place, or what type of election literature to circulate, the principle is pretty similar to Cambridge Analytica.

However, does anyone really think that Sinn Fein will honestly answer the questions?

We don't know whether it is different to what Cambridge Analytica did, it could be much less, it could be much more. However, for example, if Sinn Fein use a central database to target where resources such as cars for election day should be put in place, or what type of election literature to circulate, the principle is pretty similar to Cambridge Analytica.

However, does anyone really think that Sinn Fein will honestly answer the questions?

That, is for the DPC to answer, not you or I. Will you accept what the DPC has to say.

• Advertisement

Yes. A simple enough concept.
    This isn't the Border Poll. In simple words, other than those of the wibbling hagiographer of Varadkar, explain the breaches of GDPR.
    We don't know whether it is different to what Cambridge Analytica did,
    You and some of the other FG supporters here haven't a clue about what CA did. The room temperature IQed logic runs like this: CA did something bad with Facebook. SF is canvassing on Facebook. Therefore SF is as bad as CA.
    it could be much less, it could be much more.
    In simple terms, you don't know and are just repeating the stuff from Varadkar's hagiographer.
    However, for example, if Sinn Fein use a central database to target where resources such as cars for election day should be put in place, or what type of election literature to circulate, the principle is pretty similar to Cambridge Analytica.
    Proving again that you haven't a clue about what CA did.
    Answer what questions? The wibbling of Varadkar's hagiographer and a bunch of FGers desperate to distract from Varadkar being interviewed under caution as the subject of a criminal investigation or the questions from the DPC? I think that SF will answer the DPC questions because it has to answer them.

Regards...jmcc

Answer what questions? The wibbling of Varadkar's hagiographer and a bunch of FGers desperate to distract from Varadkar being interviewed under caution as the subject of a criminal investigation

Here we go again
    Attack the journalists
    They jail them in hong kong when not toeing the chinese communist party line,is that what you'd like with a sinn Féin government?

Yes. A simple enough concept.

This isn't the Border Poll. In simple words, other than those of the wibbling hagiographer of Varadkar, explain the breaches of GDPR.

You and some of the other FG supporters here haven't a clue about what CA did. The room temperature IQed logic runs like this: CA did something bad with Facebook. SF is canvassing on Facebook. Therefore SF is as bad as CA.

In simple terms, you don't know and are just repeating the stuff from Varadkar's hagiographer.

Proving again that you haven't a clue about what CA did.

Answer what questions? The wibbling of Varadkar's hagiographer and a bunch of FGers desperate to distract from Varadkar being interviewed under caution as the subject of a criminal investigation or the questions from the DPC? I think that SF will answer the DPC questions because it has to answer them.

Regards...jmcc

There's an a la carte attitude to investigations into SF, didn't you know? Any answers/findings can be discounted because.... SF.

Here we go again
    Attack the journalists
    They jail them in hong kong when not toeing the chinese communist party line,is that what you'd like with a sinn Féin government?
    I'd prefer real journalists reporting the news and real Journalism rather than comics pushing party propaganda and press releases.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I'd prefer real journalists reporting the news and real Journalism rather than comics pushing party propaganda and press releases.

Regards...jmcc

Are you talking about Oliver Callan?

There's an a la carte attitude to investigations into SF, didn't you know? Any answers/findings can be discounted because.... SF.
    Always going to be the way. The sales of newspapers are continuing to fall. Most people do not buy a daily newspaper. The ironic thing about the Sindo/Indo is that Michael Collins had to send a few men to visit them over their pro-British propaganda during the WOI. Now FG lies about Collins being FG.

Regards...jmcc

Regards...jmcc

I'm afraid in a free and open press,you don't get to choose what stories you lke or dislike
    You just ignore them like everyone else like minded if you want

I'm afraid in a free and open press,you don't get to choose what stories you lke or dislike
    You just ignore them like everyone else like minded if you want

And you don't get to decide whether somebody can express a critical opinion of a journalist either.

'Attacking' is exaggerating and an attempt at censorship in itself.

I'm afraid in a free and open press
    This is Ireland. There is no such thing as a "free and open press". All newspapers have an agenda. Until the recent firesale, IN&M's largest shareholder was the lucky recipient of the second mobile licence courtesy of FG. The same IN&M shareholder also owned some of the main radio stations such as Newstalk and Today FM. Cross-media ownership legislation was ignored for years.

Regards...jmcc

And you don't get to decide whether somebody can express a critical opinion of a journalist either.

'Attacking' is exaggerating and an attempt at censorship in itself.

No,I don't and I wasn't
    However name calling and abuse is not discussion,whether here or on twitter
    Its a bereft of thought display

• Advertisement

No,I don't and I wasn't
    However name calling and abuse is not discussion,whether here or on twitter
    Its a bereft of thought display

Which isn't what you said. You said the poster 'doesn't get to decide to choose what stories you like or dislike'?

Why are you pivoting to something else?

Which isn't what you said. You said the poster 'doesn't get to decide to choose what stories you like or dislike'?
    Well if you want to be all philosophical,no one gets to choose what they like
    If you don't like curry,theres no way out I'm afraid,you're not going to like it
    Same for news stories :)

Well if you want to be all philosophical,no one gets to choose what they like
    If you don't like curry,theres no way out I'm afraid,you're not going to like it
    Same for news stories :)

He didn't say 'he didn't like it', he was critical of the author and his links to the Tanaiste.
    You are barrel rolling all over the place.

Jesus, a lot of SF supporters hate journalists. Attacking people for doing their job is really depressing to see. Straight from the Trump playbook as well. The fake news media not telling the truth and representing the elite. Personalising attacks. Engaging in conspiracy theories.

Democracy is a fragile thing.

Regards...jmcc

Can I recommend An Phravda to you, it is a regular monthly publication full of real top quality news, with articles about the brave men and women of Sinn Fein working arduously to bring peace in our times. Your eyes will well up with stories of their bravery, dedication and fearlessness. Truly no other publication reports the news in as accurate and comprehensive way, why anyone would read any other publication is beyond me.

Can I recommend An Phravda to you, it is a regular monthly publication full of real top quality news, with articles about the brave men and women of Sinn Fein working arduously to bring peace in our times. Your eyes will well up with stories of their bravery, dedication and fearlessness. Truly no other publication reports the news in as accurate and comprehensive way, why anyone would read any other publication is beyond me.

You are talking about a publication owned by Sinn Fein and comparing it to the Indo that is not supposed to be owned by any political party.

The irony of that. :)

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

So basically its the journalists fault and something to do with leos legal issues.

If any political party was gleaning information from social media to build a database of voters, without their consent, id want to know what was going on. I don't know why you want SF to get a free pass on this

So basically its the journalists fault and something to do with leos legal issues.

If any political party was gleaning information from social media to build a database of voters, without their consent, id want to know what was going on. I don't know why you want SF to get a free pass on this

The reaction is to the usual's finding the Shinners guilty without any evidence of what is going on.
    The reaction is also to the accusation that they are not answering questions. They are...to the relevant person, the DPC.
    No more than any other party, SF are not answerable to the Indo and it's staff.

• Advertisement

You are talking about a publication owned by Sinn Fein and comparing it to the Indo that is not supposed to be owned by any political party.

The irony of that. :)

So if it is our journalism (An Phravda) that is biased, misleading, disingenuous, inaccurate and mostly propaganda, that is fine, but all other journalists can't be?

Do I understand your position correctly?

Advertisement