Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stealing Apples from Nuns Orchard

Options
  • 12-08-2020 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

A very old-school and now strange crime in Cobh where apples were stolen from the orchard of some contemplative nuns. Could the oft lemented act, of thieving from orchards, of older generations be making a comeback?

🙈🙉🙊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A very old-school and now strange crime in Cobh where apples were stolen from the orchard of some contemplative nuns. Could the oft lemented act, of thieving from orchards, of older generations be making a comeback?

Tis an old trade , young uns dont or cant do it nowadays.
    I was part of a raiding party that hit many an orchard where I grew up.
    Skilled operatives knew to have thier customers arranged in advance buying plenty of small bags to sell the apples in locality.
    We even had a couple of younger brothers who were part of a diversionary raiding party in order to distract the farmer.
    All was going well, till some ol one complained to my mother about the quality of apples we were selling.
    Grounded for the summer was the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wait til the historical orchard crimes get prosecuted

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We were all at it back in the day.

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

biko wrote: »
    We were all at it back in the day.

Good times.

tMR8KKUH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

There ya go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I used to try to get hand jobs in my local orchard. What's wrong with these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

This shocked me to the CORE when i heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,428 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've yet to meet a nun who isn't a cnut, that's after years of them 'educating' me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I've yet to meet a nun who isn't a cnut, that's after years of them 'educating' me.

They particularly terrify me when they flap their wings and fly away , oh wait , that's bats .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

They particularly terrify me when they flap their wings and fly away , oh wait , that's bats .

They always reminded me of penguins for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Stealing Apples from Nuns Orchard.

As long as they don't make a habit of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Not a fan of Orchard Thieves me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The title sounds like an Urban Dictionary phrase...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Wait til the historical orchard crimes get prosecuted

There has to be a tribunal first and that is after an orchards theft all party advisory committee is set up. (€8,500 allowance for each td involved)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

everlast75 wrote: »

my first thought was that it was a euphemism i wasn't familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I reckon Fr Jack stole them....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

A truly bizarre headline. Why would you steal 10 wheelbarrows of apples? To make cider?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Did this thread fall into 2020 from the 1950s? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭pgj2015

we all know who we suspected when we first heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

everlast75 wrote: »

"Stealing Apples from a Nuns Orchard"

When a man, standing naked astride a penguin, reaches down and tickles the penguin under the flippers, making it shake uncontrollably like one would do to an apple tree one was trying to knock apples from, thus imparting vibrational pleasure to the man.

Sorry lads, I can't go to the zoo. I was barred for stealing apples from a nuns orchard last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Never fear, the taxpayer is stepping in :rolleyes:

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0811/1158627-nuns-apples/

Just like they do for all other crime victims... oh wait.

If they're stuck for a few quid I'm sure the Mercy nuns, who own a private healthcare empire worth billions, and don't believe in compensating their abuse victims, could give them a hand.

It actually says in the constitution that the state shall not endow a religion i.e. give it money

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's always a pear of them in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If they're stuck for a few quid I'm sure the Mercy nuns, who own a private healthcare empire worth billions, and don't believe in compensating their abuse victims, could give them a hand.

It actually says in the constitution that the state shall not endow a religion i.e. give it money

I know a nun and I know they get very very little to live off, the church has a lot of money but the nuns don't see any of it. 20 euro to a nun like these would be like 200 euro for you and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I know a nun and I know they get very very little to live off, the church has a lot of money but the nuns don't see any of it. .

The parish accounts I've read don't indicate that "the church have a lot of money".

They own a lot of buildings that require maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

But they're not giving them money, they're giving them apples:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The nun who spoke on the news seemed like a really beautiful person

Shame on the usual suspects who stole their apples

• Registered Users Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I know a nun and I know they get very very little to live off, the church has a lot of money but the nuns don't see any of it. 20 euro to a nun like these would be like 200 euro for you and me.

They took a vow of poverty, that was their choice, and they can leave you know.

The orders of nuns which run hospitals and/or have big property holdings are rolling in cash.

Poor individuals, rich organisation - that's how they like it.

Geuze wrote: »
    The parish accounts I've read don't indicate that "the church have a lot of money".

They own a lot of buildings that require maintenance.

They also own sh!tloads of prime development land, and have sold hundreds of millions worth of it in the greater Dublin area alone - fcuk knows where that money went because abuse victims got feck all of it.

But they're not giving them money, they're giving them apples:confused:

It's still a cost to the taxpayer.

We can expect a lot more of this sort of thing with FF in government.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Relax, all they did was give them apples from another orchard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Amazing how any mention of anything Catholic (contemplative nuns having apples stolen is as harmless as you can get) brings out the Catholic hating bigots in force

Glad the nuns have got some apples from the OPW to make their chutney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

It's a nice story in the end, see the article and video of the nuns: https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0812/1158814-nuns-apples/

Advertisement