Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To give someone jip

• 12-08-2020 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭

So I just used this phrase when explaining to someone that someone else was giving out, or if technology doesn't work the way it should, ie: he was giving me some fair jip over my comment/the laptop is giving me jip over going to a certain website. I have used it for a long time, and always thought it meant that, or something along those lines.

The person I was saying it to is Spanish, so asked for an explanation. I said the above, but curiosity got to me and I Googled it, and to my surprise it's apparantly an Irish colloquialism for ejaculated semen, which gives a completely different meaning to when I use it!

Anyone else heard of this expression used in the way I use it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The jip out of him means someone mouthing off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Anyone else heard of this expression used in the way I use it?

I’ve ONLY ever heard anyone use the word jip in the way you use it.

I’ve never heard of the alternative definition, which to be honest sounds like bullshìt (not you bullshìtting, I googled it too :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought it was gyp.....

and never heard of the other definition either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I thought it was gyp.....

and never heard of the other definition either!

That's the shortened version of those who shall not be named.

Mod Snip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I don't like the cut of your jib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,263 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We would have used that as teenagers in the late 90s to describe the alternative meaning.

If someone had a stain on their trousers;

'haha look at the jip stain!'

Haven't heard it used that way in years though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The English slang term "Gyp" is used to express a bit of trouble e.g. "My back is giving me gyp".
    The Irish slang term "Jip" would appear to mean an amount of ejaculate e.g. "yer one in that video got a face full of jip."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Our old form teacher used to use that term... “don’t you be giving me any of your gyp”.. if you were giving him cheek or being smart...he never understood why the class would break into convulsions of laughter after he’d say it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

A friend's mum was up in her daughter's room making the bed one day. She looked out the window, and saw the young teenage guy in the house across the road **** off in his bedroom with his curtains open.

His nickname was instantly "the Jip Master". I can't even remember his actual name, because it no longer mattered. We'd do the **** sound by pulling our cheeks if he passed us. One day he was sitting on a wall as we walked home from school. "Youse are all stupid going to school! I get 32 pound on the scratch. I don't need no education!", he eloquently exclaimed. We fell around the place laughing.

Good old Jip Master. I'm sure it all worked out well for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

That's the shortened version of those who shall not be named.

Just say it! Little calcium sulfate dihydrated bastards :D

Back in the day they were considered a fertilizer and were put to work as the main constituent in many forms of plaster, blackboard/sidewalk chalk and drywall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gyp

A few alternative etymologies here, but the most plausible seems to be that it's from gypsy, and is probably worth swapping out for something.

I tend to say that "X is giving me grief" these days, which is pretty much a straight swap without any potential for offending. Not that I'd give anyone a hard time for using it in innocence, but some people don't give the benefit of the doubt these days.

Jip as a synonym for ejaculate is one I remember from the school-yard, all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,580 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I've never heard gyp. The cut of his jib yes I've heard.
    Actually now , saying it rather than reading it, someone giving jip would be giving smartarsed comments or giving cheek back to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Often use it meself. "No more gyp out of you" "Giving me awful gyp" etc.

Even to look at the word it seems to be a contraction of "gypsy" which would make sense as it seems to be a substitute for trouble/hassle/difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Girl from Whitesnake Video

Heard of it in both contexts.

It’s jib rather than jip when used in the context explained in the op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It’s jib rather than jip when used in the context explained in the op.

Jib is separate from the context in the op. A jib is a sailing term. It's the small sail at the front of the boat. You trim the jib for the conditions and if someone trimmed it correctly you might say you like the cut of their jib. But they totally separate from jip/gyp meaning pain or grief.

Jib is separate from the context in the op. A jib is a sailing term. It's the small sail at the front of the boat. You trim the jib for the conditions and if someone trimmed it correctly you might say you like the cut of their jib. But they totally separate from jip/gyp meaning pain or grief.

Would always have heard it said as jib, as in “he was giving awful jib”. Never heard it said as jip in any context.

Would always have heard it said as jib, as in “he was giving awful jib”. Never heard it said as jip in any context.

Well, that's the word and that's what it means. A jib is the small sail at the front of a boat. Jip/gyp are pain or grief

I’m English, have only ever heard of “... he’s giving me gyp” = he’s giving me a pain in the ar$e. And not recently, either. Didn’t know the root of it, though.

I’m English, have only ever heard of “... he’s giving me gyp” = he’s giving me a pain in the ar$e. And not recently, either. Didn’t know the root of it, though.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gyp.html

This seems to be a good explanation of the origin. Not sure how reliable the site is though.

• Advertisement

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gyp.html

This seems to be a good explanation of the origin. Not sure how reliable the site is though.

Thanks, that’s exactly the way I remember it used, along with gyppy tummy. You could have one of those after spicy food. Like having a Delhi Belly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

My differentiator:

"I don't like the cut of your jib"
    (I don't trust or like the looks of this fella) From sailing terminology which I'd be familiar with, but most likely goes back to square ship sailing where a badly cut or set foresail would be a sign of slovenliness, bad seamanship, corsairs or piracy.

"He's giving me jip"
    (talking crap or giving me hassle) probably from ejaculation as in he's talking ****. Pure Irish.

Advertisement