Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Slightly off topic I know, but I'd be interested to hear everyone thoughts on Halloween this year. I was discussing decorations and when they would be in the shops this year (I like to do Halloween BIG). I had the realisation will it even go ahead this year though? Halloween would differ from Christmas in the sense we can celebrate Christmas at home if needs be there, doesn't have to be be as much social interaction (which would suck :( ) but the decorations, food, presents, etc would still go ahead. Halloween however for the kids is all about dressing up and calling at as many doors as possible. Also you have the addition 'worry' of collecting sweets potentially handled by numerous people (maybe an over the top consideration for some, but I'm sure it will be a concern to some).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Slightly off topic I know, but I'd be interested to hear everyone thoughts on Halloween this year. I was discussing decorations and when they would be in the shops this year (I like to do Halloween BIG). I had the realisation will it even go ahead this year though? Halloween would differ from Christmas in the sense we can celebrate Christmas at home if needs be there, doesn't have to be be as much social interaction (which would suck :( ) but the decorations, food, presents, etc would still go ahead. Halloween however for the kids is all about dressing up and calling at as many doors as possible. Also you have the addition 'worry' of collecting sweets potentially handled by numerous people (maybe an over the top consideration for some, but I'm sure it will be a concern to some).

I thought of this a while ago to be honest.
    Basically families will do there own thing at home and the odd person might drop a few bits off for them(but people might be careful on doing this).
    The games, etc in school will all be different as well.
    It's just all surreal how things have changed,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

DvB wrote: »
    Didnt do us any good at all. Followed all the rules and got stiffed for 2.5k. Insurance company awful to deal with too. Still bitter over the whole thing TBH.
    Oh lord, that's awful!
    I lost about €400- flights only with Ryanair (the flights actually went, but because I was sensible and listened to the government I lost out :rolleyes: ) and I'm still annoyed, so I don't blame you for being bitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I also go BIG for Halloween. Absolutely love decorating the house but not sure I will this year as I don't want to attract trick or treaters...feel it would be unfair to have decor up and then not answer the door! Not sure we'll even have trick or treating happening this year. Might just wait and see about decorating closer to the time but I 100% won't be answering the door. I'm high risk so not taking any chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Atm in time not looking forward to Christmas time as I think it will be very very different

No drinking pubs
    Limit shopping hours/arrangements
    Financial trouble for many
    Limited festivals/events (if any at all)

The media will still be the playing the same ads and stuff depocting normal Christmastime behaviour

Still a while to go and hopefully as close as possible to the real thing we all grew up with and are used too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Didnt do us any good at all. Followed all the rules and got stiffed for 2.5k. Insurance company awful to deal with too. Still bitter over the whole thing TBH.

Even though I have various different ones and pay enough for it, I'm always weary when I ever have to claim (not too often thankfully) and always sense they are trying to catch you out and will use anything, literality anything to get out of paying :mad:

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Atm in time not looking forward to Christmas time as I think it will be very very different

No drinking pubs

The media will still be the playing the same ads and stuff depocting normal Christmastime behaviour

Still a while to go and hopefully as close as possible to the real thing we all grew up with and are used too

I'm a big believer that Christmas is what you make it. Will some things be different this year, definitely, does this mean that Christmas will not be enjoyable or as good, not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    Even though I have various different ones and pay enough for it, I'm always weary when I ever have to claim (not too often thankfully) and always sense they are trying to catch you out and will use anything, literality anything to get out of paying :mad:

Well thats been our experience on this.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Into the teens on the weekly countdown btw!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Christmas in the headlights rather than the rear view mirror :)

• Advertisement

Great expression. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm looking forward to the Autumn weather. The last third of the year is always my favourite.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That is MENTAL!
    I'm looking forward to the Autumn weather. The last third of the year is always my favourite.

It was a nice cool morning this morning well at 7am it was and I had the same thoughts I am looking forward to some Autumn mornings.

I always think of poor Gwen getting stuck with it as a present off Nessa in Gavin and Stacey!

I'm actually surprised at that poll, I'm the only one in my family that doesn't eat bounty or snickers. I'm very boring, my preference would be plain chocolate. I always gather up the bountys in my house and give them to whoever I have got for Secret Santa, like a calling card :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thankfully they’re going nowhere. I’m for one likes bounty.

Regarding Halloween The Nightmare Realm which was in Cork and I think Dublin for the past few Halloween’s isn’t opening this year.

Loughc wrote: »
    Thankfully they’re going nowhere. I’m for one likes bounty.

Same here. Like the snickers too so the final cut was a lose/lose for me.

To be fair we rarely buy celebrations (we're a QS family) but if gifted one I always go for those 2 first. Mars the last id go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Dark chocolate Bounty is my favourite bar, but I honestly can not remember when was the last time I had one !!!

Usually I start buying dark chocolate slabs (I mean a 100 grams slab - not a humongous one) at the start of September and have a square or two as part of my breakfast.
    In Spring/Summer I hardly eat chocolate at all, don't even fancy it then.
    It's an Autumn/Winter flavour for me.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »

No drinking pubs

I understand your frustrations.
    You’ve just to make the most of it.
    If everything goes okay.
    You’ll be able to met people in restaurants still and I think we’ll see lots of people meeting up in each other’s houses.
    Shopping should be okay I think with reason. I’d suggest visiting places in larger towns outside Dublin if you want more of a relaxing experience during early/midweek.
    Yep they’ll be financial trouble and if we can just encourage people not to borrow like crazy we won’t make things worse.
    Ya things will be cancelled but you’ll find something to do once you don’t set your standards to high.

The ads for me are going to be a pain. They’ll all be talking about having a difficult year, the times we live in, etc and I’d prefer something more cheery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Still speaking of chocolate, Cadbury range for Christmas - including:
    • new limited-edition Cadbury Dairy Milk Jingly Bells
    • special edition tin of Roses
    • Freddo Giant gold treasures tins
    • several Advent calendars

Source: https://www.confectioneryproduction.com/news/30909/mondelez-range-aims-to-deliver-festive-cheer-amid-growth-in-christmas-confectionery/

Cadbury-Dairy-Milk-Jingly-Bells-Chocolate-Noisette-250x250.jpg

Cadbury-Roses-by-Emma-Bridgewater-Tin-250x250.jpg

Cadbury-Freddo-Giant-Treasure-Box-250x250.png

I am in!!! Bloody love chocolate.

That just made me so happy!!

The actual Tin is back, instead of the plastic tub!

The actual Tin is back, instead of the plastic tub!

They've had them with last year but they were more expensive!

They've had them with last year but they were more expensive!

Nice, I must have missed them. I'll definitely pick up a packet.

Nice, I must have missed them. I'll definitely pick up a packet.

Tesco and SuperValu had a few on a shelf with the Christmas stuff. They worked out nearly double the price tough.

Tesco and SuperValu had a few on a shelf with the Christmas stuff. They worked out nearly double the price tough.

Weren’t they double the weight too?

• Advertisement

I love the tins. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement