Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google WiFi (Two-Unit System) - €90 [Currys]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭shovel

I see that the Netgear r7800 router mentioned on thread is the Amazon deal of the day at 119 pounds.
    Would ye recommend it instead of the eir router?

I see that the Netgear r7800 router mentioned on thread is the Amazon deal of the day at 119 pounds.
    Would ye recommend it instead of the eir router for a large house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

shovel wrote: »
    Would ye recommend it instead of the eir router?

Yes it would be an upgrade but depending on what Eir service you have it may not be a like for like swap out. What Eir service do you have? Also depending on your house layout you may also be best to try locate it more centrally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yes it would be an upgrade but depending on what Eir service you have it may not be a like for like swap out. What Eir service do you have? Also depending on your house layout you may also be best to try locate it more centrally.

Would it be an upgrade on the white Virgin Media hub?

Sorry. it's the eir fibre router.the f2000.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Would it be an upgrade on the white Virgin Media hub?

I don't have Virgin and have no idea what that modem is like but generally the provider supplied ones are just average. You would need to look into whether it's possible to bridge that modem as your connection will be tied to its hardware address. Somebody with one may advise.

Sorry. it's the eir fibre router.the f2000.

Yes but what service fibre to the home or fibre to the cabinet?

I'm guessing Fibre to the cabinet because there was no change of the line into my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Bargain alert, product & network support all in one - sound people ye are.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing Fibre to the cabinet because there was no change of the line into my house.

Well then you would still need the F2000 as a modem but if you were to change router you would need to bridge the F2000 so it acts a modem only and add the Eir PPPoE login details to the whatever router you add https://cottse.wordpress.com/2016/01/27/eir-f2000-configure-for-bridge-mode/

My advise is that you are better off to just buy a wireless access point and disable wireless on the F2000 but keep it as your router. You can then run a cable to somewhere centrally and fit this access point giving you better coverage. See the Ubiquiti posted earlier.

See, most people don't actually need Google Wifi, there are better options. Mesh is all marketing. Yes it can work where you can't get cables, but it's never a better option

ablelocks wrote: »
    Bargain alert, product & network support all in one - sound people ye are.

I'm just off sick and bored :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone able to get two sets of these for me? Gladly cover any expenses you incur and also some extra to cover your time.

Would need sent by parcel motel.

Thanks

I'm just off sick and bored :D

create a udemy course on networking, set the price at €200, but give a discount code and make sure accessaw posts it in the bargain alerts. get all of us to subscribe and give 5* reviews.

then reset the price to something more reasonable and you'll be rich, rich i tell you.

(i think that's udemy works!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone able to get two sets of these for me? Gladly cover any expenses you incur and also some extra to cover your time.

Would need sent by parcel motel.

Thanks

There were probably only three sets in the country and you want someone to buy two for you? G'luck with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

sweetie wrote: »
    There were probably only three sets in the country and you want someone to buy two for you? G'luck with that!

One set in Carlow Currya priced at 180 or so in the bargain bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Doesn't have the 50% off marked price sticker on it? Shame!

Still a decent price if you're in the market for one.

double check that, even if it doesn't have the sticker on it, it could still have the extra 50% off!

anything with a yellow clearance sticker might have the discount, and you won't know unless you ask in-store or it has the sticker applied.

staff get a list that shows what clearance products get the 50% off and this list changes on a fairly regular basis. pot luck as it depends on what the store has in stock at that particular time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

You don’t ask, you don’t get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭long_b

OU812 wrote: »
    You don’t ask, you don’t get.

Is there anything else you'd like? I'm going to Tesco later

Not anymore, thanks for heads up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have the R7800, excellent router, I can highly recommend it.

I'm getting just under 500mb/s from it two rooms away. Now note this speed is device specific. Most would only see 200 to 250mb/s on older devices. But a new macbook pro with dual stream gets 500mb/s and in fact a top of the range macbook pro with triple stream would get 750mb/s in my home!! Just some examples of what this router can do.

It also has been rock solid and I've a load of home automation and IP cameras connected to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not anymore, thanks for heads up
    Did you get it at 50%?

Basq wrote:
    Did you get it at 50%?

Yes indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭randombar

One of the lads here is looking for one now (I'm staying strong), anyone know of any in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Can this be used with sky broadband (probably a stupid question) but I'll ask it anyway, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ImARebel wrote: »
    Can this be used with sky broadband (probably a stupid question) but I'll ask it anyway, lol

Yes

One box left in the Limerick store.

Also a Netgear orbit 3 pack at €200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

ablelocks wrote: »
    One box left in the Limerick store.

Also a Netgear orbit 3 pack at €200

Gah ! Was looking for the Netgear. Never anything good in the Waterford store.

Advertisement