Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone invested in an EII project/scheme?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

See an interesting opportunity with Zipp mobility scooters on spark funding - anyone fancy it?

https://www.sparkcrowdfunding.com/campaign/zippmobility

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

See an interesting opportunity with Zipp mobility scooters on spark funding - anyone fancy it?

https://www.sparkcrowdfunding.com/campaign/zippmobility
    Good that the return on their EIIS shares are uncapped (same as my company, PM for details) with an indicative return of 10-12x. Honestly, anyone investing in EIIS nowadays should not invest in a company where your return is capped, which is typical of the vast majority of EIIS schemes (whiskey, forests and the like). Capping EIIS returns at €1.10-€1.20 on the €1 is what the vast majority of them do. But why? Why does Enterprise Ireland and VC's get ordinary uncapped shares yet EIIS investors get stiffed with capped shares at a fraction of the potential returns? You're carrying the same risk of loss, even taking account of the tax relief. Never understood it myself.

Forgive the side rant! Like any other investment do your due diligence, and go for it if it's something that interests you, and money you can afford to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Philbert wrote: »
    Good that the return on their EIIS shares are uncapped (same as my company, PM for details) with an indicative return of 10-12x. Honestly, anyone investing in EIIS nowadays should not invest in a company where your return is capped, which is typical of the vast majority of EIIS schemes (whiskey, forests and the like). Capping EIIS returns at €1.10-€1.20 on the €1 is what the vast majority of them do. But why? Why does Enterprise Ireland and VC's get ordinary uncapped shares yet EIIS investors get stiffed with capped shares at a fraction of the potential returns? You're carrying the same risk of loss, even taking account of the tax relief. Never understood it myself.

Forgive the side rant! Like any other investment do your due diligence, and go for it if it's something that interests you, and money you can afford to lose.

Most of the EIIS funds are competing against VC money. Capping them makes them far more attractive to startups. Essentially become a form of debt, prevents dilution

Quite a few opportunities listed on spark crowdfunding - worth registering for the newsletter/an account for anyone interested

Bowsy
    Pipit Global
    Zipp mobility
    ASX (paddy power backed) - fully funded now I think
    Fit Pink Leisure wear

They hold webinars etc. too for some companies. I see Spark take 7% of the amount raised as their fee (+ transaction fees of up to 2.8%) - seems steep to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Quite a few opportunities listed on spark crowdfunding - worth registering for the newsletter/an account for anyone interested

Bowsy
    Pipit Global
    Zipp mobility
    ASX (paddy power backed) - fully funded now I think
    Fit Pink Leisure wear

They hold webinars etc. too for some companies. I see Spark take 7% of the amount raised as their fee (+ transaction fees of up to 2.8%) - seems steep to me!

Admittedly I never heard of them, are the companies EII eligible?

• Advertisement

Admittedly I never heard of them, are the companies EII eligible?

Yes that's why I posted them in the thread! :pac:

Yes that's why I posted them in the thread! :pac:

Haha cheers just double checking! They look for sign up before you can really view anything

Haha cheers just double checking! They look for sign up before you can really view anything

It says EIIS in the top right of each box / each listing on the home page where applicable so you can see which companies it applies to before registering.

Out of curiosity, for SAFE investments, when do you qualify for EII?

The answer is probably in the documentation but I haven't signed up to Spark yet

I have since dipped my toes into ASX and Pipit, my first EII outing however I won't see the tax benefit until the year after next due to it being SAFE

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out, especially ASX

• Advertisement

Can't find the answer to this - can you claim cgt losses on eii investments?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

Can't find the answer to this - can you claim cgt losses on eii investments?

AFAIK - no :(

sector_000 wrote: »
    AFAIK - no :(

I thought as much from previous posts. Can't find anything definitive however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Invested for the first time in Dec 2020. I'm paye but also do end of year for small family business. Can I claim back the 40% now or do I wait till I do end of year returns for 2020 ?

Velo coffee adverting in the Business Post today for the EII Scheme. eiis@velocoffee.ie

Well I've dipped in a few euro into EII eligible companies via Spark. Been a few weeks now since they closed, do you get a certificate or anything to confirm its EII eligible? Just in case the tax man looks for proof

Spark website is down for me? Odd...

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

Is Spark the only place people find these schemes? It would be great to find one or two to invest in sometime in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭rocketspocket

Hoping someone may know the answer to this.

I invested in the 2020 BVP EII fund and am now preparing the 2020 tax return for the 31 oct deadline- the tax certificates have yet to be issued. Does anyone know if;

• I can just go ahead and get the refund without the Tax Certificates?
    • If not, will I need to tell Revenue in my 2020 return that I've invested in an EII scheme and the amount I've invested?
    • if So & when I do get the tax certs in 2022- is the tax refund from Revenue a seamless process?

I’ll be discussing this with my accountant  but hoping to have these answers before I do! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭rocketspocket

Davey & BVP have fund that split the money across different companies - they normally only open these in november/december..

• Advertisement

Business post supplement on EIIS will be in November - call for advertising was in last week's paper

Am I right that the coupon on shares is taxed at your marginal income tax rate (e.g. 40%) rather than capital gains tax (33%)?

Medpoint advertising in the Business Post last Sunday - details of their EIIS here

https://medpoint.ie/eiis/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Scheme extended another 3 years in today's budget

Thinking of investing again with a company I previously invested in. They are offering a 10% term equity option (pro rata) to current investors should there be a sale within the current round of the EII scheme. Not sure what this means to be honest - is it that if they sell to another company, then EIIS investors will share (pro rata) 10% of the sale value?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Jambonjunior

I missed the sunday business post segment. Is there any other ways to find out about schemes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Did you get an answer on this? In exactly the same position as yourself.

Not out until November, tried to find out which week but to no avail

You can also look at the Spark Crowdfunding website for eii opportunities

• Advertisement

Don't suppose anyone knows if tomorrow's BP is the eii issue?

Advertisement