Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

Will we ever get a decent restaurant in Newbridge? The town is seriously lacking good restaurants, there is a market for a good one. No more ****e fast food type rubbish places... no space for anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    exactly what the town doesnt need

The more i think about i actually dont mind this been open. No the town doesnt need another Chinese restaurant especially in that area.

That been said any new business opening in the town in this date and time should be applauded. The bottom of the town has been dying in recent years and the arch bar has been dormant for close to a decade.

I would rather see someone trying to get a business going rather than leave the building rot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Looking like that part of Newbridge will be the "Chinese quarter"

If this is a new Chinese restaurant, it will make five? Six? Within 200m?

Is it definitely a Chinese?

Its strange to have a coffee bar in a Chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Damien360

At least it’s getting developed. I listened to a podcast about a US city (small one) that was dying and they changed the law whereby any site that lay undeveloped for a given timeframe (could have been 18months), would be taken back by the city at zero cost to them and sold out again to be developed. Not sure how they circumvented property rights but the result was no land hoarding and the town came back to life.

There are quite a few places in the town left to rot, land hoarding if you like, that could do with that law here. Chartbusters site is a disgrace right slap bang centre of town left that way.

We have far too many takeaways, pound shops/charity shops, auctioneers and betting shops in the town. I would have added pubs but they are disappearing at a rate of knots.

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    At least it’s getting developed. I listened to a podcast about a US city (small one) that was dying and they changed the law whereby any site that lay undeveloped for a given timeframe (could have been 18months), would be taken back by the city at zero cost to them and sold out again to be developed. Not sure how they circumvented property rights but the result was no land hoarding and the town came back to life.

There are quite a few places in the town left to rot, land hoarding if you like, that could do with that law here. Chartbusters site is a disgrace right slap bang centre of town left that way.

We have far too many takeaways, pound shops/charity shops, auctioneers and betting shops in the town. I would have added pubs but they are disappearing at a rate of knots.

Planning permission was granted for chartbusters a few months ago.

For a sit down restaurant....... yes another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

tommyboy26 wrote:
    Planning permission was granted for chartbusters a few months ago.

tommyboy26 wrote:
    For a sit down restaurant....... yes another one.

Yeah that's an Italian style one.

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Is it definitely a Chinese?

Its strange to have a coffee bar in a Chinese

The application says a mixture of oriental and Irish. The objections all mentioned it as Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Hello,

I'm looking for houses around Athgarvan Road, Liffey Terrace, Liffey View areas.
    I was looking for feedback as I read that a new estate was built there recently. Also how busy is the area during the GAA matches ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

I've really only seen the town busy when there is a big county match or the county final really. The year Kildare played Dublin in the league was busy and when Tyrone and Mayo came to Newbridge. Thats it.

On the Athgarvan Road is more likely to be busy with a funeral than a GAA match TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Just back from up town. Great to finally see some progress on the construction of the Aldi store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

What's with a lot of the Whitewater shops not opening till 10.00am? Seriously annoying if you're in early like I was today.

What's with a lot of the Whitewater shops not opening till 10.00am? Seriously annoying if you're in early like I was today.

It’s always been that way during week days. Can’t remember weekend times. The town is busy today. Traffic is moving but plenty of people on walk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Damien360 wrote: »
    It’s always been that way during week days. Can’t remember weekend times. The town is busy today. Traffic is moving but plenty of people on walk about.

Pre Covid, Saturdays were 9.30am for the likes of Eason's, Clark's, Golden Discs etc. All three not open until 10.00am today. I usually go into M&S for a shop on a Saturday morning but that's best done around 9.00 so having to hang around for 30 minutes waiting for the others to open was a complete pain. Especially since two of them didn't have what I was looking for.

Pre Covid, Saturdays were 9.30am for the likes of Eason's, Clark's, Golden Discs etc. All three not open until 10.00am today. I usually go into M&S for a shop on a Saturday morning but that's best done around 9.00 so having to hang around for 30 minutes waiting for the others to open was a complete pain. Especially since two of them didn't have what I was looking for.

They are opening shops in Dublin later to stagger traffic and public transport. Could be the same here?

Anyone know if the fast food outlets have re-opened? Also is the cinema still closed? What about the likes of the pizza joint and Nando's?

And I guess everyone wants to know is there any news on the Debenham's site?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Every where in the food court is open except costa and chopped ( which is gone). Milanos and nandos are open. The cinema is closed.

garbeth wrote: »
    Every where in the food court is open except costa and chopped ( which is gone). Milanos and bandits are open. The cinema is closed.

Thanks for the heads up. Sadly nothing really to tempt the increase of footfall which is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Heard rumors that TK Max is moving into the Debenhams site in WW

Not a good move for WW if true. They need a puller in there to encourage footfall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Next would be amazing !

GavMan wrote: »
    Not a good move for WW if true. They need a puller in there to encourage footfall

I can only but agree GM. I for one have never been inside a TK Max.

The Debenhams space is huge. They won’t get dunnes/Tesco/aldi/Lidl/SuperValu/M&S as they all have their own place with the exception of M&S which is too niche for that big space. TK Max could easily make use of that space. It would bring footfall. Otherwise it will end up as a pound shop and the whitewater will be finished.

Could be an option for a new entrant to the Irish Market to test the waters. If I was the management, I'd split it to 2 units before I'd put TK Max in there. Anytime I've been it, its been pretty sparsely patronised so I'm not sure if it'd be a winner for WW.

Next on 1 level and something else on the other. Could possibly expand their restaurant offering upstairs also

Can't really think of anyone else that could take on an anchor unit like that. Most have presence in the town already

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

GavMan wrote: »
    Could be an option for a new entrant to the Irish Market to test the waters. If I was the management, I'd split it to 2 units before I'd put TK Max in there. Anytime I've been it, its been pretty sparsely patronised so I'm not sure if it'd be a winner for WW.

Next on 1 level and something else on the other. Could possibly expand their restaurant offering upstairs also

Can't really think of anyone else that could take on an anchor unit like that. Most have presence in the town already

Decathlon opened their first store in Ireland in May/ June and are eyeing up a few more Irish stores, Cork and Galway were mentioned in some media reports. They typically require at least 30,00 sq ft store. Wondering would WW be an option for them. Decathlon are French owned and WW is owned by a German Investment fund so perhaps they may be able to convince Decathlon of opening a store in Newbridge.

I think the unit will inevitably be split in to two units now unless something dramatic happens!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

With so many retailers now cutting jobs and closing stores its definitely going to be hard to fill that space, can’t imagine any major flagship store moving in.
    Think they will struggle to find a store that would bring people to WW ... kildare village only 10 minutes away so I can’t see people wanting to go into Newbridge when they could go to the village .. the village not everyone’s cup of tea ( including me ) but it does be jammed most days ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There'll be no shortage of takers for the debenhams unit.

TK Maxx including their homesense would be an option but their preference is for non shopping centre units and they have a decent unit already.

Next would be front runners. They are about to buy Victoria Secrets, the have successfully trialed a beauty hall (they own https://www.fabled.com/) and they have a strong home range. They also have taken some of the debenhams stores in the uk.

Decathlon - not a chance. All their stores are out of town. Can't see shoppers buying full size canoes and carrying them down the elevators

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I used to use Debenhams nearly exclusively for my clothes .. as an awkward size I would nearly always find something.. Jeans , trousers , shirts and polo shirts mainly.. middle age men’s clothes I suppose that won’t break the bank . Kildare village the sizes are all over the place .. so looking for recommendations
    Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

harr wrote: »
    I used to use Debenhams nearly exclusively for my clothes .. as an awkward size I would nearly always find something.. Jeans , trousers , shirts and polo shirts mainly.. middle age men’s clothes I suppose that won’t break the bank . Kildare village the sizes are all over the place .. so looking for recommendations
    Thanks

Best place for men's clothes in Kildare is Brownes Of Naas hands down.

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    Thanks

I’m. Not clued up on shopping online, but Isn’t their online facility still operational?

Advertisement