Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've ruined my car, overwhelmed.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Tork wrote: »
    So why do you keep putting yourself into a position where your father can upset you like this? I though you were a kid in their late teens/early 20s who was stuck at home, the way you were going on. Instead, we learn that you're driving a few years which makes you older. You're not living in the family home so you have control over your comings and goings. You really need to start thinking like an adult, not an overgrown kid.

That's a good question. And I don't know.

I know that I don't deliberately put myself in that kind of position or let something like this upset me. It's easy to say dont do this or don't do that. I was emotionally and mentally abused at home. And not by just him. Siblings too. One in particular was a bully. I'm not close to ANY member of my family. I'm in a vulnerable position. I also suspect I have BPD.

I'm independent. Believe me there's other things that have happened that have not caused so much anxiety over this, like I said I feel as though it's because of the other things I have going on. I've achieved a lot without me caring what he thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Tork

I actually don't live at home anymore cuz of him surprise surprise, but I often call out home etc.

So why are you calling out to home so often if it isn't a happy place? Honestly, if you haven't seen a therapist recently I think you need to talk to one again. You've got a long way to go by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ruined car wrote: »
    I won't be posting over in the motor forum cause I've already gotten the opinions of 3 mechanics. And I can't judge over the internet if someone actually knows their stuff or just sprouting ****e.

My issue was really just the upset of it all. Looking back now, I did over react. I think just really stressed and overwhelmed about a few other things, this was the last thing I expected or needed.

I've decided to go ahead let it fail the NCT. See if there's other repairs to be done, then get it fixed. It's gonna cost a lot but I do have the money for that's just not a new car or to be going to the trouble of trying to sell it.

Hopefully it's not gonna cost me more than €800. Like someone said I'm already down money with this problem.

The NCT isn’t a mechanical test, it’s safety oriented

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Car is hardly ruined. It's old, but €800 isn't huge repair on a car. You could incur that expense on a much newer car and people do. Put it into NCT, then you will know if it's worthwhile repairing. Rust is really the big terminal issue. Otherwise, ignore the age, if car is in good condition and you like it, then repairing it might be the economical and sensible thing to do. €800 won't go far towards another car in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Op what exactly is wrong with the car?? As other posters have said if you ran out of oil and seized the engine it would cost a lot more than 800 to fix. What exactly happened it and what are these mechanics quoting you for repairs wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭joeguevara

You have not really told us what the issue is with the car but a price of 800 doesn’t seem too bad for a 16 year old car. I know you say you really took care of it but not servicing a 16 year old car for two years is not great. Must have been lucky to pass nct last year if not serviced for a year.

But, listen. Sometimes overthinking things can make them worse. You don’t really have to say anything about the oil. A 16 year old car can have anything happen that needs fixing. Give a different reason if you need to ask for a loan.

But it seems there are bigger issues. As you didn’t mention family issues in OP, it’s difficult to give advice. But sometimes things like this are a catalyst for making changes. Do you need a car for work or can you get a lift until you save the 800. A credit union loan or an advance from work maybe? Also an nct can be deferred until car is fixed.

Just a thought, if mechanic is such a family friend, can they let you pay in instalments?

Hope everything works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Look, you already have the car 5 years. Sounds like it owes you nothing. Scrap it and learn to service a car more often next time.

Your fear of what your father thinks about a 16 year old fossil fuel car breaking down 5 years after he picked it out is fairly infantile. It must cost an arm and a leg in tax FFS, so he's done you no favour here in the first place.

Pick yourself up a five year old Nissan leaf. No oil changes ever needed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Godeatsboogers suggesting violence as a solution is not acceptable. Please read the Charter before posting here again.

Thanks

HS

pwurple wrote: »
    Look, you already have the car 5 years. Sounds like it owes you nothing. Scrap it and learn to service a car more often next time.

Your fear of what your father thinks about a 16 year old fossil fuel car breaking down 5 years after he picked it out is fairly infantile. It must cost an arm and a leg in tax FFS, so he's done you no favour here in the first place.

Pick yourself up a five year old Nissan leaf. No oil changes ever needed.

No it's actually the cheapest car on tax. My isn't what my father thinks of the car, I was just afraid of his reaction over finding out I didn't look after it.

Tork wrote: »
    So why are you calling out to home so often if it isn't a happy place? Honestly, if you haven't seen a therapist recently I think you need to talk to one again. You've got a long way to go by the sounds of things.

I don't call out just to only see them. I have other reasons to call out. I have been seeing a therapist. Like I said previously I suspect I might be BPD.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    The NCT isn’t a mechanical test, it’s safety oriented

Yes I do know that. But it might still highlight something else.

Could the moderator close my thread please.

Like I have already stated, I know my reaction was ott. I'm stressed and feel vulnerable atm.

I've already got the opinions from 3 mechanics. Am gonna go ahead with the NCT and see what comes out of that.

If it turns out too expensive to repair, I'll save or take out a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Not changing the oil in two years, while not ideal, shouldn't cause a catastrophic failure of the engine in and of itself. But anyway €800 isn't bad if it needs a new engine and if you plan on keeping it for another two years wont be anymore worse off than if you buy a new car now.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Thread closed as per OPs request.

Thank you to all who took time to offer help and advice.

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement