Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeding builders?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Get real, pal!
    Most of what these guys learn in FAS is never used, if they're a house basher then they never really touch the complicated stuff.

And for your information, the metal radiator pipe was leaking, I replaced it with the plasticy stuff, not a single leak 4 years later.

Absolutely, I mean proper earthing and testing is irrelevant never mind cable sizing or even tightness of connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Is he talking about qualpex? I think the connections can leak quite often.

I was hoping he might tell us more about the metal pipe that was connected to the radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Surely you mean a copper pipe or maybe gunbarrel ?

The plasticy stuff? Garden house, microbore?

I have a trade myself , I deal in volts and current.

Ya, nothing electric.
    God man ;) gunbarerel, they say it starts to leak after 35 years. People don't know and next thing they have rising damp and the Insurance company won't pay out cos it's "maintenance".

Home heating systems are very straight-forward, without the risk of electrics. There's no mystery to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Whatever you do, don't leave an unfitted toilet around if there are builders.
    They'll shít in it regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I was doing an extension for a big farmer in east Clare about 10 years ago, mid summer so he was busy getting ready for silage, he was along way from anywhere so we used bring our own lunch. Never once were we asked did we want a cup of tea nor did we expect it, but I've never been on a domestic job where we've never been offered something even a glass of water on a hot day

One of the days the silage crew landed around 8 in the morning, weather was very good, we were working outside, the lady of the house started setting up a table and chairs outside and was cooking away all morning, come lunchtime the lads doing the silage came back for the lunch and sat into a 3 course dinner less than 30 feet from where we were working, myself and the guy that was with me weren't even asked did we want a cup of tea, we were treated like 2 slaves the entire time we were doing the job, when it came time for payment when we had the job finished she wanted me to knock a hundred off the agreed price, I refused simply because she hadn't the manners to offer us even a cup of tea while they ate like kings beside us, if they were decent I'd have knocked off the hundred but I wouldn't please the miserable cnut

I’ve always said it, the strong farmer types are the thickest most ignorant c*nts you’ll ever come across. Used to do door work in Cork and you get all the agricultural lot coming into Reardens etc, not an ounce of decorum amongst the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

we were treated like 2 slaves the entire time we were doing the job

Like slaves who got paid to do a job they agreed to do?
    Funny definition of slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

GreeBo wrote: »
    Like slaves who got paid to do a job they agreed to do?
    Funny definition of slavery.

valid point, it was they way we were talked down to for the few days we were there, maybe the wrong analogy to use, thanks for picking up on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

valid point, it was they way we were talked down to for the few days we were there, maybe the wrong analogy to use, thanks for picking up on it

Thats fair enough then.
    You can be paid for work and still treated like a slave ( but I wouldn't put not getting tea into that category :))
    I was thinking that the silage lads were maybe getting fed as part of the deal, but maybe the farmer was just a dick...unless you were a bunch of Jackeens in which case you got what you should have expected! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Barry’s tea. It’s my parents preferred brand. I don’t drink tea that often as I have a Jura bean to cup in the kitchen of my apartment here in Frankfurt.

You'll outrun the Barry's tea some day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

How about the jumbo breakfast roll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Doesn't cost you much to treat them down a to tea/coffee and some biscuits during their break. Pleasantries goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Offer them some tea with amphetamines added. You'll get the job done faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Anyone else think the lack of enthusiasm for tea in this ad felt wrong?

Like.. I reckon most Irish wouldn't scoff at tea? Let alone builders.

Or am I behind the times and it's all almond and coconut flat whites now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Tea, biscuits and a Revenue leaflet strategically placed lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

speak for yourselves, but not one brick will be laid until my gourmet filet mignon sandwich with sweet relish on artisan bread is prepared for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Robsweezie wrote: »
    speak for yourselves, but not one brick will be laid until my gourmet filet mignon sandwich with sweet relish on artisan bread is prepared for me.

Have you tried spooning it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ooh, aren't we posh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'd say they'd be happier with a low cut top on you

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

We used to bring our lunches with us because most of our jobs had no shop nearby. I remember plastering a shed for a local lady and she used to bring us in for tea, nothing major just tea, brown bread, egg couple of sausages. That's over 10 years ago but I still remember her for it. Just a nice touch is all

Advertisement