Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do people smoke that sh1t?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭hugs_for_drugs

nthclare wrote: »
    I didn't tell what's good for someone else, it was a suggestion, a fresh walk is good.

A few spliffs can also be good if not abused.
    I smoked it in college, didn't like it.

Fair enough, you didn't like it, but why be against others who would partake if they aren't abusing it as it's no skin off your nose?
    Of course I'd be against a doctor abusing anything which isn't prescribed or is prescribed for that matter.

Well prescription drugs are widely used/abused in that profession for whatever their reasons are.
    As Mr Mackay said "drug's are bad"

Heart medicine, sezuire medicine, depression med to name a few?

Drugs aren't bad.Abuse/overuse of drugs are though, which we should try to counter with harm reduction and known quality assurance.

Do you mind if I ask you what age range you are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Used to know a pothead dwn in UL with a death rattle cough that would raise the hairs on the back of your neck. Like a fella who'd bee smoking cigs for 70 years.

He was only like 22, 23. What the fck does it do to the lungs?

Pot smoking is listed as a cause of Lung Cancer and Emphysema by both the British and US Lung Foundations but nobody ever seems to talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Well, I don't want an alcoholic, shaking surgeon, either. I'd prefer if all of my medical assistance was given to me by people who weren't suffering from the long-term effects of any drug, legal or illegal.

Yes, I agree with you that the side effects of alcohol are probably far, far worse than cannabis. And I say that as a fairly heavy drinker, who is quite opposed to cannabis.

Hypocrite? Possibly. I just don't want to see another mind-altering drug become legalised, freely available and socially acceptable.

Like a few others have mentioned in this thread, I did try cannabis a couple of times when I was at college, but it didn't really do anything for me and made me quite ill the last time I tried it. I much preferred the effects of alcohol, and still enjoy those effects :D

I’m all right jack, I know I take a drug that has a massive cost to society with no legal consequences but I’ll still pontificate about another drug that i know is less harmful than my vice of choice and support the jailing and ruining the life of non violent users of said drug. I’m aware this is hypocritical, I’ll still do it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

A few spliffs can also be good if not abused.

Fair enough, you didn't like it, but why be against others who would partake if they aren't abusing it as it's no skin off your nose?

Well prescription drugs are widely used/abused in that profession for whatever their reasons are.

Heart medicine, sezuire medicine, depression med to name a few?

Drugs aren't bad.Abuse/overuse of drugs are though, which we should try to counter with harm reduction and known quality assurance.

Do you mind if I ask you what age range you are now?

I'm 45 being honest, I'm being the devil's advocate here.
    It's up to anyone to do as they choose.
    If it's not effecting their careers, customers, friendships and family.
    Kudos to them, they're the lucky ones.

They might not have an addictive gene and can toke away without any consequences.
    My hat's off to them.

I was playing the moral Mary, I'll admit that.

Yes you're right to have dialogue eme about this subject to which I have taken something away about it.

I suppose my emotional experience of being in a relationship with an addict who was convinced and tried to convince everyone else they're doing fine with their street drug habit.

It's when you are really close to a self proclaimed recreationall substance abuser you find out what it's like.

The moods, up and down, getting into a trance.
    Then their lack of money etc

Yes you're right a few spliffs are ok if not abused.

Or if the splifs don't abuse you.

I used to get paranoid and whiteners, vommit and pinging in my ears etc

My apologies if I sound hypocritical, I just can sometimes be a divel in discussions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Used to know a pothead dwn in UL with a death rattle cough that would raise the hairs on the back of your neck. Like a fella who'd bee smoking cigs for 70 years.

He was only like 22, 23. What the fck does it do to the lungs?

Pot smoking is listed as a cause of Lung Cancer and Emphysema by both the British and US Lung Foundations but nobody ever seems to talk about it.
    It's the smoking part that's the problem. Usually mixed with tobacco in Ireland too so that's making it worse. If you ingest it without burning it there's no carcinogens (that I know of).
    But ya I know plenty of people over the years that would smoke joints daily but still not think of themselves as smokers because they don't touch cigarettes or raw tobacco. Foolishness

xckjoo wrote: »
    It's the smoking part that's the problem. Usually mixed with tobacco in Ireland too so that's making it worse. If you ingest it without burning it there's no carcinogens (that I know of).
    But ya I know plenty of people over the years that would smoke joints daily but still not think of themselves as smokers because they don't touch cigarettes or raw tobacco. Foolishness

worse than cigarettes as no filter is used.

most potheads used be smokers - not sure what the case is now.

there are all sorts of vaporiser devices designed for weed that you can get now - healthier way to do it I guess and no need for tobacco as filler.

wouldn't be very common yet in Ireland.

glasso wrote: »
    worse than cigarettes as no filter is used.

most potheads used be smokers - not sure what the case is now.

there are all sorts of vaporiser devices designed for weed that you can get now - healthier way to do it I guess and no need for tobacco as filler.

wouldn't be very common yet in Ireland.

Your average cigarette smoker is on 10-15 a day. Nobody is smoking 10 joints a day for any sustained period of time. The sheer volume of cigarettes of even a moderate smoker will far outweigh the danger of no filter of even a daily weed smoker

snotboogie wrote: »
    Your average cigarette smoker is on 10-15 a day. Nobody is smoking 10 joints a day for any sustained period of time. The sheer volume of cigarettes of even a moderate smoker will far outweigh the danger of no filter of even a daily weed smoker

but if the pot smoker gets addicted to nicotine (inevitable) from using tobacco then likely to smoke more cigs as well really.

unlikely to avoid getting addicted to nicotine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,498 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The moral in the article in the OP is:

Buy ingots, not acorns.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Literally, as there is a lot of faeces in the hash in Spain apparently.

What about Ireland?

Street cannabis 'contains dangerous amount of faecal matter' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47811251

i haven't seen hash since 2005 when the head shops came in and weed became normal

fun fact : the IRA used to buy tons of poor quality cheap hash in morocco, take it to Spain and break it up, mix it with any old cheap sh1te filler such as sh1te, lino, vinyl, whatever, repress it and sell it here and in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

jiltloop wrote: »
    It's actually mainly buds they mention in the article rather than hash

I just read over the article again to make sure and you're wrong, it only mentions hash throughout and not one single mention of weed at all, are you on some of that good sh1t yourself?

pure.conya wrote: »
    i haven't seen hash since 2005 when the head shops came in and weed became normal

Nothing to do with the head shops, the Polish started the large grow houses in Ireland when they came over en masse during the Celtic Tiger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,164 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Literally, as there is a lot of faeces in the hash in Spain apparently.

What about Ireland?

Street cannabis 'contains dangerous amount of faecal matter' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47811251

In 1998 you may have had a point

snotboogie wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the head shops, the Polish started the large grow houses in Ireland when they came over en masse during the Celtic Tiger.

I heard that they fertilised the grow mix with the parts of the Irish swans that they didn't eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was reading through this thread and got to the 5th page and realised it's just the same as all the other threads. People who think they know about it commenting on it, or people who have only read the anti-articles. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

I'm pro-legalisation, and I also smoke it. I smoke it in the evenings to unwind, never before or during work. I'm contributing to society by being in full time employment, never without a job, never claimed and being a single male I'm entitled to no assistance from the government. Now, the government could be getting more of my money if it was legal, but it's not so that's their loss.

The 'part of organised crime' line can be completely deleted if it was legal, so there's no argument there. You can't argue that consuming cannabis means profits for criminals as if it was legalised, the criminals will no longer be selling it (as much anyway, you'll always have some still trying).

I had intended on a big long post, but what's the point. The pro side know what I would be saying, the nay side would ignore it all and go with their own anecdotal evidence. No point. All I will say is for the people who don't want that doctor to treat them. I think you'd find it very hard to find a doctor who doesn't take some sort of supplement to cope with the stress, be it cigarettes, alcohol, coffee, prescription meds, etc. If we all avoided people who take something to help, there would be very few people to turn to, and those people would most likely end up turning to cannabis or something else to cope with the increased numbers of people they have to deal with.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,498 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Watch this, it's short. Cheech and Chong smoking shït.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWDDZIuoII

Not your ornery onager

"West Midlands Police told not to criminalise young cannabis users
    West Midlands Police Chief Constable wants to give young cannabis users chance to avoid criminal record"

www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/west-midlands-police-told-not-16089002

Should the guards here take the same approach as WMP or is policing here all about the numbers of simple charges with possession for their own use.

"LAST YEAR GARDAÍ recorded more than 12,000 incidents of possession of drugs for personal "

www.thejournal.ie/drugs-crime-4219683-Sep2018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

The attitude some people have towards cannabis is pathetic.

As one user put it, pearl clutching helen lovejoys.

It's mostly ignorance and fearmongering. Lies peddled over the years by various state agencies and people with agendas.

I mean, I know when it comes to afterhours I'm beating a dead horse because people here tend to be very narrow minded and miserable for the sake of hating people.

I know gards, paramedics, nurses, doctors, pilots, pharmacy techs, bus drivers, factory workers, retail workers, people with phD's and pretty much everybody in between that smoke weed. Most are friends of mine.

None smoke on the job. It's less harmful than alcohol by a thousand miles.

A joint is one of lifes greatest pleasures and the therapeutic aspects of it does wonders.

But nah, people here would rather just f and blind people who smoke it and call them all losers because "weed is bad, i know so despite never touching it or reading a single thing about it aside from sheer lies and propaganda".

It's a real shame totally innocent and decent every day people in this country are criminalised for being caught with personal amounts of cannabis by díckhead guards and judges with chips on their shoulders.

The real losers are those who are so up their own hole and snobby that they look down on people who just enjoy a harmless natural plant. The same losers who think alcohol is the bees knees and totally fine to abuse.

I suppose the good news is, it will eventually be legalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

The real losers are those who are so up their own hole and snobby that they look down on people who just enjoy a harmless natural plant. The same losers who think alcohol is the bees knees and totally fine to abuse.

Cannabis isn't harmless though. It's not as bad as alcohol but cannabis is linked to psychosis and schizophrenia when smoked by teenagers and de-motivation. And there's other rarer problems it can cause like cannabis hyperemesis syndrome.

You're acting like cannabis is a entirely benign and beneficial drug and being far more one-eyed than the people you're accusing of being 'losers'.

• Advertisement

Cannabis isn't harmless though. It's not as bad as alcohol but cannabis is linked to psychosis and schizophrenia when smoked by teenagers and de-motivation. And there's other rarer problems it can cause like cannabis hyperemesis syndrome.

You're acting like cannabis is a entirely benign and beneficial drug and being far more one-eyed than the people you're accusing of being 'losers'.

Isn't psychosis and schizophrenia an underlining mental condition which is exacerbated by use of "weed" and not the true cause of the above conditions.

It's easier to blame "weed" as the cause to mental illnesses as most would admit to using/abusing it and not to more serious drug, prescription, coke, heroin, X, MDA and many other synthetic drugs.

Scaremongering isn't the answer or solution to the issue faced re abuse of all kinds of drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

I love people like that. They're insulated because no one they know would let them know they smoke lest they be judged. So it's all foreign to them and they don't realise their own friends and family are doing it.

That’s the thing, the successful smokers don’t tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

I haven't read the whole thread, apologies.

This drugs industry is unregulated and needs to be. And I mean the stuff that comes in sachets with branding (spice or whatever).

If you put something into your nose, stomach, bloodstream, lungs, you not only have to be conscious that you're not going to know what potency you get

BUT ALSO

The stuff could be contaminated by poo, blood, saliva, sweat.... Imagine the person packing it cut their finger and had hepatitis, HIV or whatever.

I wish someone would do something, cop on and regulate this bleedin industry, pronto.

Isn't psychosis and schizophrenia an underlining mental condition which is exacerbated by use of "weed" and not the true cause of the above conditions.

It's easier to blame "weed" as the cause to mental illnesses as most would admit to using/abusing it and not to more serious drug, prescription, coke, heroin, X, MDA and many other synthetic drugs.

Scaremongering isn't the answer or solution to the issue faced re abuse of all kinds of drugs.

Cannabis can exacerbate those conditions. There's also lots of evidence cannabis increases the risk of developing schizophrenia and having an episode of acute psychosis. The findings of those studies are regardless of confounding factors so I'm not sure why you're bringing up other drugs.

Scaremongering isn't the answer but neither is people burying their heads in the sand and choosing to ignore the evidence that cannabis isn't an entirely harmless drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

Teepinaw wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread, apologies.

This drugs industry is unregulated and needs to be. And I mean the stuff that comes in sachets with branding (spice or whatever).

If you put something into your nose, stomach, bloodstream, lungs, you not only have to be conscious that you're not going to know what potency you get

BUT ALSO

The stuff could be contaminated by poo, blood, saliva, sweat.... Imagine the person packing it cut their finger and had hepatitis, HIV or whatever.

I wish someone would do something, cop on and regulate this bleedin industry, pronto.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/24-hours-in-police-custody/on-demand/65249-015

They caught him because his blood was on the packaging.
    His blood... Your lungs/cookies..

Cannabis can exacerbate those conditions. There's also lots of evidence cannabis increases the risk of developing schizophrenia and having an episode of acute psychosis. The findings of those studies are regardless of confounding factors so I'm not sure why you're bringing up other drugs.

Scaremongering isn't the answer but neither is people burying their heads in the sand and choosing to ignore the evidence that cannabis isn't an entirely harmless drug.

The reason I brought up other drugs is people aren't open to admit using or abusing them in comparison to "weed" in studies of effect of "weed" abuse.

People have admitted "weed" isn't harmless if abused, the the use of "weed" in moderation isn't as harmful as it's made out to be.

Maybe the link between mental issues is because no-one knows the thc strength or anything else that's in the "weed" because it's unregulated.

Poly drug abuse is rampant and only getting worse but yet the powers that be havent tried to address these issues.

• Advertisement

The reason I brought up other drugs is people aren't open to admit using or abusing them in comparison to "weed" in studies of effect of "weed" abuse.

People have admitted "weed" isn't harmless if abused, the the use of "weed" in moderation isn't as harmful as it's made out to be.

Maybe the link between mental issues is because no-one knows the thc strength or anything else that's in the "weed" because it's unregulated.

Poly drug abuse is rampant and only getting worse but yet the powers that be havent tried to address these issues.

Are you discounting the studies that have shown the harmful effects of cannabis because the subjects may not have been honest about their other drug use?

The first person I replied to on this thread did say cannabis was harmless actually.

I'm not sure what you mean by poly drug use in this context and not sure what relevance it has to this discussion.

Are you discounting the studies that have shown the harmful effects of cannabis because the subjects may not have been honest about their other drug use?

Yes I am, and all studies I've seen have it "can" or "might" cause, not it's the cause, there is just too much variables to conclude it's the root cause and as harmful in studies if not abused.
    The first person I replied to on this thread did say cannabis was harmless actually.

Fair enough, I also thought at a time it was harmless until I abused it, now I smoke less and leave weeks before I smoke a gram or two again.
    I'm not sure what you mean by poly drug use in this context and not sure what relevance it has to this discussion.

What I mean is "weed" is very rarely used on its own and is used in conjunction with other drugs , alcohol, meds ,etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

McCrack wrote: »
    Ask your doctor friend what is a common feature amoungst patients history in psychiatric wards

They all have mental health issues. If you expect him to say they were all smoking reefers on the daily as the cause of their mental health problems I think you'll be disappointed.

lol... oh well that's grand then. Just a bit of mild memory loss in his early 30's... as a doctor... sure what could possibly be wrong with that!? :rolleyes:

Some people's attitude to drugs in this country is far too laid back. It's not that these drugs are harmless, it's actually more a case of people not really giving a sh!t about consequences unless those consequences are some kind of immediate threat to their life or health... which is again a very clear sign of the mindset of an addict. "Sure it'll be grand like... everyone does it" (said no wise person ever!) :p

He has managed to finish years of medical school and gruelling medical exams to get his doctoral degree and is now going on for further study. It was his longer term memory he feels may be not quite what it was, but there can be other causes of that too. And he's the most ethical person I know. Patient safety is not being compromised I assure you. He's not practicing here FYI, he's Italian.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    The Doctor's brain will turn to mush. Anyone I have seen smoke that stuff, and I have seen a lot of them, all have anxiety issues, cant function properly, cant sleep, cant hold down a job or a relationship. Plus, a few of them were stinking.

Yes he's in a terrible state. Starting a new course to specialise in advanced medicine, planning on going to South America for MSF, writes plays and DJ's at reggae parties in his spare time and has a long term girlfriend. Poor guy is wreck! :rolleyes: yeah I'll get back to you when the breakdown starts :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement