Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people smoke that sh1t?

Options

Comments

It honestly happened to me. I would’ve smoked a few times with friends, and had a whitey (think that’s what they called it then!), every time. Then the last time was when I had a small joint myself, as my friends had gone to sleep. I went mad. Not out of control or anything, but absolutely lost, and paranoid about BEING paranoid, for about 4 days. Almost presented to hospital for psychiatric care, but eventually it passed. So obviously some people are fine, but there are people who can get very unwell very easily on it.

yes there definitely is a blaise attitude in some quarters and lots of people saying "nobody ever od'd on grass" etc but it's not that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

It honestly happened to me. I would’ve smoked a few times with friends, and had a whitey (think that’s what they called it then!), every time. Then the last time was when I had a small joint myself, as my friends had gone to sleep. I went mad. Not out of control or anything, but absolutely lost, and paranoid about BEING paranoid, for about 4 days. Almost presented to hospital for psychiatric care, but eventually it passed. So obviously some people are fine, but there are people who can get very unwell very easily on it.

Sorry to hear that man. Used to get loads of whiteys in my youth but they always passed that evening and eventually stopped happening (youthful idiocy made me not just stop all together :D). Never got prolonged effects beyond a groggy head the next morning. There definitely seems to be people it just doesn't agree with and are better off avoiding it. The risks seem to be greater the younger you start too, probably due to the brain still developing. The stats out of places like Colorado seem to be showing a decrease in underage smoking after legalisation. Potentially reason alone to look at legalisation IMO. Plus it would take control and money from organised gangs, which can only be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭hugs_for_drugs

I'd agree abuse of weed can be harmful, but this it's going to lead to pychosis and mental health problems if used in moderation is just pure scaremongering, poly drug abuse is rampant in Ireland and it's easier to say I've just smoked weed, it's weeds fault I've mental health problems, no it either doesn't agree with you or you've underlining mental health problems which the weed has exacerbate.

Also with illegal weed who knows the thc content or CBD content.

Regulate, tolerate and harm reduction is key to help people to moderate their usage of the "devils lettuce" to a harmless level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Was it weed or was it that ****e you get from headshops? Spice gold or whatever it's called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Caliden wrote: »
    Was it weed or was it that ****e you get from headshops? Spice gold or whatever it's called.

Resin, and it was in the mid 90's, so I'm not sure head shops were a thing then. I know it wasn't the drug, it was me, friends were grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Resin, and it was in the mid 90's, so I'm not sure head shops were a thing then. I know it wasn't the drug, it was me, friends were grand.

That was dirty stuff, the hash in the 90's. Full of diesel and rat poison. Thankfully its a thing of the past now.

That was dirty stuff, the hash in the 90's. Full of diesel and rat poison. Thankfully its a thing of the past now.

Jaysis... hope my kids take after their Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Greentopia wrote: »
    He doesn't take it for anxiety, he takes it to relax after his studies and when he goes to gigs. The one side effect of years of smoking it is some memory loss he tells me, but other than that it doesn't appear to have affected his life in any negative way that I know of. And as a newly graduated doctor I would imagine he has more knowledge on the subject to know what he's doing and the possible side effects than most people.

Very comforting to think that a doctor would suffer from cannabis-induced memory loss.

Please let us know his name, just in case any of us need life-saving medical help, and don't want to rely on a stoned, forgetful doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Nah, if lads want to smoke their brains out then they can do so. Just stating fact though in saying that the growhouse weed lads are toking on these days is causing a massive spike in the cases of life-changing psychosis and paranoia presenting to mental health services. It’s not a harmless drug.

I think - like anything - if someone is going to smoke weed, they'd be best to have a fair idea where its coming from. God knows what can be added

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Yes for hard drugs, but for cannabis? nah. A good friend of mine just passed his medical exams and the brightest person I know, and he smokes weed almost daily.
    People from all walks of life smoke it, nothing to do with intelligence.

Imagine how intelligent he'd be if he wasn't a stoner.

Intelligent idiot comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

jiltloop wrote: »
    It's actually mainly buds they mention in the article rather than hash

When I read it I got the impression it was just resin they were talking about. They mention it coming in ingot shapes or acorn shapes and the acorn shapes were the ones worst contaminated.

I read an article years ago where they did a similar study in scotland and found faeces and vinyl in resin. I've always wondered if it was vinyl as in records or as in floor covering.

Very comforting to think that a doctor would suffer from cannabis-induced memory loss.

Please let us know his name, just in case any of us need life-saving medical help, and don't want to rely on a stoned, forgetful doctor.

Is it honestly surprising to you that a med student has been smoking weed? Probably one of the milder things they be up to.
    He/she passed all the same exams, practicals, etc that the rest of the students did. Their baseline memory is just a lot higher than most of us so they can afford to lose a bit. It's short term memory that suffers too. You'd hope they'll have most of that medical knowledge in their long term memory by the time they graduate.

The rat poison in hash was always a bit of an urban legend.

I remember the diesel though. For those who don't know about it, quite often hash would be smuggled in fuel tanks. Sometimes the wrapping etc would get damaged and the hash would be soaked by the fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

By what metric/s is smoking weed worse than drinking? Society generally overreacts to weed in my view mainly due to conservative American propaganda from the 50s-70s.

Seems crazy not to just legalize it and be done with it. Take a generous tax % to cover any associated medical cost. Most importantly, regulate quality and strength. If certain strains lead to memory loss etc, then steer clear. No reason to have the strong stuff that's on the market now for the vast majority of consumers.

Rather than viewing it as a gateway drug (which for some reason alcohol is never seen as despite being a factor in half of all violent crimes), we should take a risk based approach.

maccored wrote: »
    I think - like anything - if someone is going to smoke weed, they'd be best to have a fair idea where its coming from. God knows what can be added

Which is the main argument for catching up with the times and legalising it.
    nthclare wrote: »
    Imagine how intelligent he'd be if he wasn't a stoner.

Intelligent idiot comes to mind.

Ignorance comes to mind.
    Grayson wrote: »
    The rat poison in hash was always a bit of an urban legend.

I remember the diesel though. For those who don't know about it, quite often hash would be smuggled in fuel tanks. Sometimes the wrapping etc would get damaged and the hash would be soaked by the fuel.

I've never had it tested or anything but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. Who knows what these crime gangs are willing to cut it with? I have seen bits of fibreglass, plastic and even what I can only assume was speed at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

If it does I seriously doubt weed will be the cause of it. More likely it will help him cope with the stress of being a doctor :D

He's been smoking it since he was a teen and is now 32 and still a fully functioning adult. Why on earth do you think weed would cause anyones life to fall apart?

I don't smoke it now but the times I have in the past it's only made me feel more relaxed and happy. You'll have to come up with some strong convincing factual evidence to prove to me weed could have the effect you claim.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Is it honestly surprising to you that a med student has been smoking weed? Probably one of the milder things they be up to.
    He/she passed all the same exams, practicals, etc that the rest of the students did. Their baseline memory is just a lot higher than most of us so they can afford to lose a bit. It's short term memory that suffers too. You'd hope they'll have most of that medical knowledge in their long term memory by the time they graduate.

No longer a student. A fully qualified doctor who has, in the words of the original post, been smoking it constantly for the last 15 or more years.

I'll stick by my original post and hope that I NEVER need medical assistance from this doctor.

Which is the main argument for catching up with the times and legalising it.

Ignorance comes to mind.

I've never had it tested or anything but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. Who knows what these crime gangs are willing to cut it with? I have seen bits of fibreglass, plastic and even what I can only assume was speed at one point.

I wouldn't really say ignorance, more like experience of working with stoners.

They're forgetful, moody, doing drugs, contributing to organised crime, part of that illegal pyramid.

There's young men who've got shot for not having money for drug lords, and some of those sums were very low.
    But that's ok sure.
    A med student doing dope lol sounds like a great guy.

Some people have an addictive personality and their brain's get friend from smoking dubes.

Paranoid when they haven't had a nodge in a few hours, so they have a fist full of Xanax just in case like.

Untill it's legalized my opinion is they're adding to the criminal pyramid, probably at the bottom but still they're part of the system.

Hopefully he'll get caught

No longer a student. A fully qualified doctor who has, in the words of the original post, been smoking it constantly for the last 15 or more years.

I'll stick by my original post and hope that I NEVER need medical assistance from this doctor.

Imagine that doctor making a decision, I'd say now he's probably good on paper but other than that an absolute waster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Nah, if lads want to smoke their brains out then they can do so. Just stating fact though in saying that the growhouse weed lads are toking on these days is causing a massive spike in the cases of life-changing psychosis and paranoia presenting to mental health services. It’s not a harmless drug.

This.

I was a big smoker for about ten years. It definitely wrecks your head after a while. It is not harmless.

I took a couple of puffs at a party last summer and apologised and left, it was no fun whatsoever. Red eyed paranoid nonsense. Great craic if your able to enjoy it.

In fairness I do know people who are regular users and get great benefit from it, but not for me any more.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    This.

I was a big smoker for about ten years. It definitely wrecks your head after a while. It is not harmless.

I took a couple of puffs at a party last summer and apologised and left, it was no fun whatsoever. Red eyed paranoid nonsense. Great craic if your able to enjoy it.

In fairness I do know people who are regular users and get great benefit from it, but not for me any more.

I'm the same. It has an unpleasant effect on my mood but I used to like it.

For some, it's grand. For others, it isn't. Like all our vices.

As to the doctor discussion. I'd have no issue with my doctor having a smoke after work if it relaxed him. Better that than stressed and making bad decisions. We don't live in a fairytale world where a doctor quits because of stress.

• Advertisement

All I'm saying is it would be naive to think that smoking weed is the worst thing a qualified doctor is doing.

The guy passed all the requirements to become a doctor while smoking weed. Obviously has more brains to burn than most of us. Probably better to get him than the person who just about scraped through the degree :D

Simply cost. I know that they added stuff to drugs like cocaine etc but there's no need to add it to hash. Stuff like strychine costs money and would only increase the cost to produce hash. I know strychine can be inhaled but i don't think it can be smoked. The same goes for speed.

Other impurities are bulking agents. they're added to increase volume. Which means they get more money for less. That's why you'd find lumps of plastic. Even with weed you'll find large twigs etc because that increases the weight and therefore the price of the product.

Haha some amount of pearlclutching Helen Lovejoys in this thread, 'really thankful I wasn't cursed with such narrow mindedness.

It's those that know the least on this subject that you'll always hear bleeting the loudest - manifest ignorance evident the second they can put down their wine, coffee, sleeping tabs and antidepressants long enough to open their mouths and from their bastions of moral rectitude they render their sneering judgements on the "wasters" and "losers" that fall victim to that faceless, predatory spectre of "DRUGS" (which, by their own admission they've never encountered).

Drugs can indeed be very bad kids, and they should always be treated with their deserved respect - but administered safely and properly they can also yield some incredible, life enriching, experiences. They are not inherently bad in and of themselves, and like with most things, it is humans and their capacity for abuse that gives rise to most associated negatives.

legality ≠ morality.

Haha some amount of pearlclutching Helen Lovejoys in this thread

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭hugs_for_drugs

nthclare wrote: »
    Imagine that doctor making a decision, I'd say now he's probably good on paper but other than that an absolute waster.

Do you really believe someone who smokes weed is an absolute waster?

If so that's a very narrow minded view, what's your thoughts on a doctor using prescription drugs or drink, if they aren't been abused.

Look at the sezuires guards make re weed and it's still in plentiful supply.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”

If so that's a very narrow minded view, what's your thoughts on a doctor using prescription drugs or drink, if they aren't been abused.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”

I love people like that. They're insulated because no one they know would let them know they smoke lest they be judged. So it's all foreign to them and they don't realise their own friends and family are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BamesJond

All the people worried about doctors having a smoke in the evening need a reality check.

We all know how hard our nurses and doctors work in this country. I wouldn't be surprised at all if *some* enhanced themselves with something or other on a ridiculously long shift.

Haha some amount of pearlclutching Helen Lovejoys in this thread, 'really thankful I wasn't cursed with such narrow mindedness.

It's those that know the least on this subject that you'll always hear bleeting the loudest - manifest ignorance evident the second they can put down their wine, coffee, sleeping tabs and antidepressants long enough to open their mouths and from their bastions of moral rectitude they render their sneering judgements on the "wasters" and "losers" that fall victim to that faceless, predatory spectre of "DRUGS" (which, by their own admission they've never encountered).

Drugs can indeed be very bad kids, and they should always be treated with their deserved respect - but administered safely and properly they can also yield some incredible, life enriching, experiences. They are not inherently bad in and of themselves, and like with most things, it is humans and their capacity for abuse that gives rise to most associated negatives.

legality ≠ morality.

Who's bleating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

greencap wrote: »
    ive often times wanted to try different drugs, but then realise that they're probably cut with weird **** or have been up a serbians arse.

i had one offer that i strongly suspect had malicious intention behind it, from a co-worker who was a friend of someone i didn't get on with.
    i can imagine what id have been smoking and what they'd have done with it.

Imagine how paranoid you would be had you smoked it.

• Advertisement

Exactly doing dope over and over again causes insanity, it effects everyone in the vicinity.

It's like this, what that doctor is doing could get him fired, he's irresponsible and he's definitely not firing on all cylinders.

He's probably the nicest guy and a great lad to sit on a rock with and talk about how tree's and all living things vibrate,and how he's in control...

If it was a landscape Gardener or artist I'd understand but a doctor, that's a different kettle of fish.

But a doctor in practice who's stoned frequently is scary, he isn't in control full stop.

Wouldn't a walk or something be better for him or fly fishing....

Advertisement