Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keith Flint of The Prodigy RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Saw them back in 1997 in Cork when playing alongside Oasis. Great altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

VeryTerry wrote: »
    Voodoo People and other songs were pure metal at heart. That's what made them such a great crossover band. Sad loss.

They fused many genres and their whole attitude was pure punk

Remember them described as electronic punk back in the day

That's desperate stuff. Never forget the first time I saw The Prodigy live supporting Oasis at Pairc Ui Chaoimh and they absolutely blew Oasis off the stage. They had the whole stadium going absolutely mental and it was almost a come down when the Gallaghers came out.

Saw them headline the Trip to Tipp a few years later and they were even better then.

Oasis were great that night too

I remember the bootleg beatles were on before the prodigy, I enjoyed them too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

I think the club at the rear of fibbers was The Sidewalk, there was also one next door to that called the Back gate.

The same crowd owned McGrath's on O'Connell St which had a great little club on the top floor. Think it was called the 13th floor. Didn't open into the same yard though I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Saw them back in 1997 in Cork when playing alongside Oasis. Great altogether.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    I was an Indie/Grunge fan when a teenager and I remember this band popping up amongst the rave heads, especially "Out of space". They were just too good to dismiss as just another dance band.

I remember bombing around in my 1984 Polo on my provisional license, with the windows down and blaring "Fat of the Land". The neighbours are still probably cursing me for that. Saw them in 1997 at the Trip to Tipp also.

Actually a bit shocked to learn that Keith was only 9 years older than me. It's sad news.

Even rock - guitar purists ( who loathed the rise of dance in the early nineties) like myself respected the prodigy and they were effortlessly cool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

zapitastas wrote: »
    The same crowd owned McGrath's on O'Connell St which had a great little club on the top floor. Think it was called the 13th floor. Didn't open into the same yard though I don't think.

Yeah near enough that whole block was owned by that crowd, there was IRA involvement there. The Sidewalk is now the living room the McGraths now Murray's the Back gate is gone but Fibbers is still rocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

check_six wrote: »
    I remember seeing the Prodigy at Feile in '95 and Keith rolled onto stage in the inflatable hamster ball/zorb type thing before bursting out of it and sending the crowd crazy. Great entrance, great show.
    The follow up show in December in Dublin had an expectant crowd waiting to see Keith arrive on stage. The zorb and Keith were catapulted out onto the middle of the stage. The crowd go wild... and then there is a sharp intake of breath as the zorb bounces straight off the front of the stage a plummets down a fairly decent drop. Uh oh, "Keith's in trouble here" thinks everyone... and then it becomes clear as the zorb bounces up again that there's a dummy inside it. The real Keith bounds onto stage and the crowd goes mental. Another cracking show!

I was right up the front at the show at Feile 1995. It was mental. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ohfa6muwtsvkc1

correction wrote: »
    This is a great shame. Loved The Prodigy's hit single "Me And The Lads Are Heading Down To The Sewer To Do Some Shouting".

"Domestic abuse is great," and "Let's do drugs," were their best work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Talented guy, I remember him shaking up the dance music scene in the 1990s with The Prodigy. He was also a motorcycle club racer and operated the Team Traction Control race team in the Isle of Man TT, with some success along with rider Ian Hutchinson. Whatever exactly happened to him, it's a pity. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

jimgoose wrote: »
    Talented guy, I remember him shaking up the dance music scene in the 1990s with The Prodigy. He was also a motorcycle club racer and operated the Team Traction Control race team in the Isle of Man TT, with some success along with rider Ian Hutchinson. Whatever exactly happened to him, it's a pity. RIP.

He was plagued with depression and unfortunately saw suicide as his only way out. A permanent solution to a temporary problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,195 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    They fused many genres and their whole attitude was pure punk

Remember them described as electronic punk back in the day

Indeed, the track fuel my fire, the L7 cover is a riff by little unknown Aussie punk rockers the Cosmic Psychos, they let L7 use the riff and get decent royalties so Ive heard because of the prodigy cover, drinking money for a bunch of outback p! Ss heads

FitzShane wrote: »

Thanks a lot for posting this. Liam Howlett is some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

RIP Keith, the Johnny Rotten of the Rave/Punk scene, was so glad I caught them at Electric Picnic last year, what an incredible finish to the event, I was lucky to catch them on the Sunday day trip to Oxegen too in 2010.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Suicide never gets less shocking to me, never. No matter how many happen.

I wasn’t the biggest Prodigy fan but Keith Flint was still a huge ‘90s icon and the band’s music would still make me a pause for a moment whenever I heard it.

Thinking of Keith Flint brings me back to my teenage years of discovering boys and figuring out what music I liked. I think they were quite an influential band in their heyday.

It’s really sad. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Indeed, the track fuel my fire, the L7 cover is a riff by little unknown Aussie punk rockers the Cosmic Psychos, they let L7 use the riff and get decent royalties so Ive heard because of the prodigy cover, drinking money for a bunch of outback p! Ss heads

And of course the riff in Voodoo People is sampled from "Very Ape" by Nirvana.

And "Firestarter" used a sample from a Breeders track (20 seconds in):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Pleasure of seeing them that day in slane castle along with kasabian and oasis. One of the best gigs ever. The prodigy were electric that evening.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Saddened by this news.

Thanks for the tunes Keith. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Weirdly when I think of the Prodigy, I think of Radiohead. Not because their music was similar but because they were two hugely popular mid-late ‘90s bands who stayed outside the prevailing zeitgeist of the day and did their own thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This has made me feel so down :( The prodigy were responsible for some of the best gigs I’ve attended to say nothing of their cultural and musical significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This has hit me hard.

Seeing Firestarter on MTV when I was young was a game changer. It was like this invite to do what you wanted, here is crazy hair, piercings, mad moves and loud music. That set it all off for me and I mark that moment that did it.

From there, I just loved the Prodigy, and Keith Flint as a front man was just what you needed.

I am utterly heartbroken at this news, even more so when you hear how he has died.

For gods sake lads, if we can take anything out of this, please please please talk to someone if you ever feel alone or if something feels off.

Gintonious wrote: »
    This has hit me hard.

Seeing Firestarter on MTV when I was young was a game changer. It was like this invite to do what you wanted, here is crazy hair, piercings, mad moves and loud music. That set it all off for me and I mark that moment that did it.

From there, I just loved the Prodigy, and Keith Flint as a front man was just what you needed.

I am utterly heartbroken at this news, even more so when you hear how he has died.

For gods sake lads, if we can take anything out of this, please please please talk to someone if you ever feel alone or if something feels off.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I loved them. Anyone see them in Cork in 1996?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I saw them in Thurles about 96 or 97. Day trip to tip I think the festival was called. They headlined alongside manic street preachers. Great show. They blew the place away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I saw them in Thurles about 96 or 97. Day trip to tip I think the festival was called. They headlined alongside manic street preachers. Great show. They blew the place away.

97 I was there too. Great gig and The Prodigy were awesome.

RIP Keith Flint

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I saw them in Thurles about 96 or 97. Day trip to tip I think the festival was called.

Feile, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Feile, wasn't it?

Kind of but it was rebranded to Day Trip to Tipp for 1997

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

I loved them. Anyone see them in Cork in 1996?

me, twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Saw them at Live at the marquee in Cork in 2009. Heard them at Feile '95 and the Trip to Tipp in '97.

Advertisement