Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you 'talk' to yourself?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I drive to work alone during weekdays.. replaying the audio from the carcam has been very interesting.. it sounds like the car is full sometimes.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Not only do I talk to myself but I criticize myself as if I'm 'watching' myself doing things wrong. 'What the fuck did you do that for you idiot?'

I actually swear at myself, "you f*ck'n idiot why did you do that", I say to myself.!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I do it all the time. Not out loud, but my lips do move — it's not just a conversation in my head. My kids sometimes catch me doing it. :o

I speak three languages pretty well (as in no real accent, and people often take me for a native speaker), and a large part of that definitely comes from years of sustained conversations held inside my motorbike helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

A little bit. Mybe I murmur to myself. I don't think aloud but I noticed my lips moving when I'm going over something important in my mind, and sometimes when something important occurs to me it's like a Eureka moment and I say '' I've got it! I need to do X , and it'll all fall into place!'' or ''Oh! THAT'S WHERE I PUT IT!''. I think it's quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Yes. We're both schizophrenic though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,351 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Of course, I'd be crazy not to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Yes. I find I get much better results in arguments when:
    a) It's the fifth or sixth time running through it
    b) It's 2-3 hours after the argument first happened and
    c) I'm on my own, usually in the car on my way home.

I'm really very eloquent then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I used to, but now I talk to the cat.

I am always having a conversation in my head, sometimes I can't sleep because of the conversations going on. Occasionally I realise I am actually talking out loud.
    I talk a lot in my sleep, my OH has commented regularly about me having a conversation while asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Its a very good mindfulness technique
    awareness of your surroundings and tasks to be completed
    has been used in the likes of Japan for centuries

used by sports people a lot as mental cues

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep, do it a lot either to help organise whatever I'm thinking about or to push myself a bit "come on, get up ta f*ck and do the washing" etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I do, mainly things that need doing at some point soon. Just a verbal check list.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DELTATIP

Had to say it ........

I sure do talk to myself , Sometimes I need to hear from a expert. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm known for talking to myself in work especially if I'm toting up figures. I've got the odd look over the years but doesn't bother me in the slightest. I rarely make a mistake so it must work!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I hear voices, but ignore them and just carry on killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

All the dang time-full blown convos, reminders, and if I was writing out an email or something like that, I'd be talking it as I write it (that one I find helps me to get the tone right, otherwise it can be a bit robotic or too 'Dear sir, I am cold hearted individual who wishes to ask you for something. Sincerely, Man'.

It's a habit of mine, hence why I often wear earphones, and listen to music if I'm doing something-so I avoid talking to myself. I've had people take issue with it, thinking I was mental. But they often took issue with others for everything-like stupid stuff.
    I've used it to 'rehearse' if I was doing a presentation, or meeting someone new and worried I Would say something completely stupid.

Do it all the time-some people read all the time, some people whistle or sing, and some people talk to themselves-I'm the latter. And tbh, I can't remember NOT doing it. Even as a small child.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I talk to myself all the time. No shame in it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Non stop. An endless stream of words reverberating around my head. If I'm sitting in silence with nothing to do, such as travelling, my brain practically goes on 'Ted Talk' mode with all the major themes or viewpoints in my life being challenged and/or reinforced.

Doesn't everybody talk to themselves, more or less, anyway?

Advertisement