Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

52km this morning. Would have stayed out longer only that the Aviva beckons

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

D8 - blessington - hollywood - wicklow gap - laragh - roundwood - enniskerry - d8

Between holidays/work/weather/dark evenings etc, ive not been out much in the last 2 months, bar the short commute. Went for a long one today, taking it easy, but was still absolutely bunched after about 70k. Stopped for food/drink, but wasnt doing, struggled on home. Garmin made it to 100k before dying, good lad!

113ish kms, 5hrs

https://www.strava.com/activities/1270557969

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

First spin in 6 weeks as I've been busy with refurbishing the old house I bought. After just 200 metres, I was was passed by another guy booting along and I thought oh hell, I'm going backwards here. For the first 20 Kms, I felt tired and considered calling a day but I persevered. Then the second wind kicked in and I started to really motor along with good power in the legs and I soon was down in the drops enjoying the feeling of speed again. Started to get cold in the last 10kms as all I had on was bib shorts, a long sleeve jersey and fingerless gloves. Guess winter has arrived during my lay off. 50 Kms in 1 hour and 40 minutes wasn't bad considering the long time out of the saddle. Must wrap up warmer on my next spin on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Took the missus across Sheffield to visit Bolehills BMX & pumptrack for the first time today. Despite the cold, the place was busy. Awesome to see so many children cycling; all ages and abilities from teenagers getting some disgracefully large air on jumps to boys and girls still in sing!e digit age ripping it around the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

D13exile wrote: »
    First spin in 6 weeks. ...... After just 200 metres, I was was passed by another guy booting along and I thought oh hell, I'm going backwards here. For the first 20 Kms, I felt tired and considered calling a day but I persevered. 50 Kms in 1 hour and 40 minutes

Impressive! What sort of speeds can you do when you are not off the bike for 6 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Only cycling a few months but really, really enjoying it. 2 nights ago on my own down a very dark back road in the pissing rain, 8k in, flying down a hill my chain flies off! Had to ring herself to collect me in the van. Have a 2nd hand trek 7.3. Luckily my local shop had it fixed next day. Really have to invest in some wet gear. Doing 25k 4 times a week. Longer run on Sundays Averaging 44mins for the 25k.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

25k in three quarters of an hour is impressive going.

Cheers, wasn't sure if it is good or not, considering there are some hills on it I felt I was pushing, but doing it no problem now😀

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Impressive! What sort of speeds can you do when you are not off the bike for 6 weeks?

Not much faster tbh:D. I'd kind of plateaued at 33-35kph on average (with the odd high 30's on a good day) before my layoff no matter how much cycling I did. Maybe interval training would help me push that average higher instead of long spins at a steady pace? When I was younger, I used to mix my steady 10 km runs up with interval sessions of jog, sprint, jog, sprint to really work the cardiovascular system.

I'm 49 in a few months and my bones are starting to creak after exercise. However good diet and plenty of stretching will keep me active for a good while longer I hope. I walk the dogs a lot and do plenty of core strengthening exercises in the evenings to balance out my dodgy back (I've two collapsed discs). Cycling isn't as hard on the joints as running was so I'll keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pjmn

Knocknacarra, Moycullen, Spiddal and home again - beautiful morning - decent north westerly against me on the way out, but had the benefit on the way home... view across Galway Bay crystal clear...

42.7km Distance

1:35:14 Moving Time

358m Elevation
    139W Estimated Avg Power

793kJ Energy Output

Avg Max Speed 26.9km/h 47.5km/h
    Calories 885
    Elapsed Time 1:35:14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭secman

Did usual spin to blessington and back through manor kilbride yesterday in the pissings of rain 45 km and 25 kph avg. Met a chap from Rathfarnham heading towards manor kilbride and he had done Hollywood and the lakes. Sowed a seed.
    So today I headed out to Hollywood and did the lakes, and back through manor kilbride and home. Garmin said 70 km and avg 24 kph. But I stopped on the left sharp turn for Valleymount just after the kings river bridge to take a photo, inadvertently stopped Garmin, it was reading just under 39 km. Thought I had restarted it and I stopped again at the picnic area on the right hand side just after the descent from Ballyknocken village. Again to take a photo and noticed distance was still just under 39km :(.
    I think the distance missing us about 7 to 8 km. Stand corrected on that !
    Lovely day for a meander on the bike, except for the wind .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

120km and 4.5hrs on the bike today with the club, pretty cold down here then add in a cold NW breeze and it wasn't much fun tbh.

I have been trying to do these club spins fasted and have worked up to 2.5hrs on a black coffee while trying to keep a Z3 pace which is tricky on a club spin at times. I'm hoping to get towards the full spin over the winter with just the high 5 tabs in water.
    I also had my weekly puncture with back wheel this week, it's alternating wheels each week, frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dahat wrote: »
    ...I also had my weekly puncture with back wheel this week, it's alternating wheels each week, frustrating.
    Weekly? :eek:

Would you not use more resistant tyres especially in winter. You might have to sacrifice .5km/hr in average speed buts it beats being at the side of the road in the rain with frozen fingers dealing with punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Weekly? :eek:

Would you not use more resistant tyres especially in winter. You might have to sacrifice .5km/hr in average speed buts it beats being at the side of the road in the rain with frozen fingers dealing with punctures.

I've two new tyres on my old Alu bike which aren't winter tyres but should be fine hopefully. I'm hoping it just bad luck but if it continues I'll have to get a decent 23mm winter Tyre.

63km with all my winter gear on . Left before 10, temperature said 5c but it certainly didn't feel like it. Got back and was standing in the porch taking off the overshoes, helmet, etc. The eldest shouts down "Hi Dad, just getting into the shower ". I'm sure my face was a picture. It's not the first time either. 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

rushfan wrote: »
    63km with all my winter gear on . Left before 10, temperature said 5c but it certainly didn't feel like it. Got back and was standing in the porch taking off the overshoes, helmet, etc. The eldest shouts down "Hi Dad, just getting into the shower ". I'm sure my face was a picture. It's not the first time either. ��

I feel your pain! Nearly as bad as stepping into the shower and finding the feckers have used all the hot water.

After Saturdays freezathon, I had my warm gear on today (all Galabier gear of long sleeve merino undershirt warm bib tights, mistral jacket full finger gloves and toe covers) and what a difference that made to my comfort. Nice and toasty despite the odd hail shower. Went from Clane to Kilmeague, up the Hill of Allen (in the big ring because my cable snapped when I tried to shift and I couldn't get it into the small ring), down to Newbridge, onto Naas and home. Just 42kms but after a two month lay off, I'm easing back into it. Felt tired for the first 20kms but funnily enough, the slog up the Hill of Allen in the big ring actually woke me up and I was flying after that all the way home. I barely averaged 25kph for the first 20kms but averaged 35kph for the second half of the spin (40kph in the last 5kms). Need to replace all my gear and brake cables now as I was lucky that it wasn't the rear mech cable that broke. Still using the original cables three and a half years after I bought the bike. While I clean the chain and bike regularly, I've neglected the cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

D13exile wrote: »
    After Saturdays freezathon, I had my warm gear on today (all Galabier gear of long sleeve merino undershirt warm bib tights, mistral jacket full finger gloves and toe covers) and what a difference that made to my comfort. Nice and toasty despite the odd hail shower. Went from Clane to Kilmeague, up the Hill of Allen (in the big ring because my cable snapped when I tried to shift and I couldn't get it into the small ring), down to Newbridge, onto Naas and home. Just 42kms but after a two month lay off, I'm easing back into it. Felt tired for the first 20kms but funnily enough, the slog up the Hill of Allen in the big ring actually woke me up and I was flying after that all the way home. I barely averaged 25kph for the first 20kms but averaged 35kph for the second half of the spin (40kph in the last 5kms). Need to replace all my gear and brake cables now as I was lucky that it wasn't the rear mech cable that broke. Still using the original cables three and a half years after I bought the bike. While I clean the chain and bike regularly, I've neglected the cables.

How did you get it to stay in the big ring, I thought that the derraileur would automatically "default" to the small ring if a cable snapped ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    How did you get it to stay in the big ring, I thought that the derraileur would automatically "default" to the small ring if a cable snapped ?

The front derailleur is stuck in place keeping the chain on the big ring at the front. The bike was laid up for almost 8 weeks and while I clean the bike frame and chain weekly, I have to admit that I neglected to lube the front derailleur which seized and probably caused the cable to snap when I tried to shift to the small ring at the front. Lesson learned and I've new gear and brake cables on the way to get the bike back into tip top shape. Would love a new bike but this house I've bought is sucking the life blood out of me.

Update. Oops, That time was for the 18.5k it actually takes me 1hr4mins to 1hr1min for 25.6k

• Advertisement

Lovely night last night, hardly a breeze, managed to get the 25.6k down to 1hr 35secs...couple of standing puddles, (wet feet) have a pair of overshoes coming at christmas:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

First time cycling in heavy fog this morning yikeeees! Very nearly got the bus instead but soldiered on, went the long way so I could take advantage of as many off road cycle lanes as possible and even waited for the pedestrian light at the Clonsilla / Power City roundabout!! Was very glad to see the sun coming up about half way in. Whatever about the reduced visibility, the damn fog seemed to seep into every gap in my clothing so I ended up being cold despite being pretty well wrapped up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

30km around the dirty roads of Meath, mudguards on so im clean but the bike!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/1276300311

68Km around NCD before work today. Nice and bright but a bit damp in places - took me a while to decide between the good bike and the winter one, but once I'd decided on heading to Howth I knew I'd need the gears on the good bike. Saw a few out in shorts, but I wasn't that brave..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

shorts for me on the way home - was 12C leaving work. too warm for leggings.

Just 35km today as I was a bit pushed for time. Wore the leg warmers, etc but managed fine. Thought I'd overdone it at first but worked out ok. Nice weather for mid November.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm a fan of the cold. So long as it stays above freezing/ice territory then it really is the best weather. Really enjoying my cycles the last week.

(You're all welcome to call me out when I'm complaining about how cold it is in a month :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just 19Km commute to work this afternoon on the winter bike

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2334916607

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

82K on the cyclocross bike this morning, decided to head into the forest and up to the tower on The Hill of Allen, haven’t been up there since I was a kid.

• Advertisement

Clane to Carbury to Johnstownbridge, Knockanally Golf Course, Donedea, Prosperous and home to Clane. 54kms on a pretty nice day. As usual my first 20kms was sedate (25kph average) but then I started motoring and coming into Johnstown-bridge the automatic speed sign said I was doing 38kph! Nearly caught out by the sun setting at 4.20pm but got home in time before lights would be needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement