Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭MollsGap

Saw the sun set myself.... on the telly... while flat out on the turbo trainer with the radiator up to the last. Needed a mop to dry the floor underneath the bike afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Had to go earlier today as working later. Got in under the 1hour mark. Bloody wind against me all the way on the 2 long straights, how is that possible? Wishing I had worn the gloves for the first 3k,glad I hadn't after that😎 another milestone. I may upgrade to a racer after Christmas I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Wasn't really in the mood for a hard spin today but wanted to get out all the same. Went for a ramble along the Royal canal from Longwood to Mullingar and back. There's a few short sections awaiting final surfacing and I had to hop the Harris Fencing near Hill of Down but I'm really looking forward to it being officially opened in a few weeks. It's going to be a great spin from here to Athlone with no close passes to worry about.
    Weather was chilly but dry, glad I put on the winter gear.
    Did 78km @ 26.5kmh.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1280477227

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Wore some new gear I purchased and headed towards howth, met a dog on the way back on the Alfie Byrne road and the poor fecker was darting back and forth between cars, I got a hold of him and managed to find the owner but I did have to carry him across the road, new kit got destroyed. But doggy is safe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Felexicon wrote:
    A nice 45km spin from Swords out to Howth Summit this morning in lovely sunshine. First time cycling out that way as I only have the bike 3 weeks. That climb up the 'scenic route' was pure torture by the end.

Same route but went from the Howth village side this time. Mother of jaysus that's some climb. Great day for it all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's what i call an honest climb though. the steep bit is at the start. the worst are the ones which leave the steep bit to the end.

Wore some new gear I purchased and headed towards howth, met a dog on the way back on the Alfie Byrne road and the poor fecker was darting back and forth between cars, I got a hold of him and managed to find the owner but I did have to carry him across the road, new kit got destroyed. But doggy is safe

Haven't you heard???? :pac:

c289ebeb4d5d15b945b9becdffd580c2--quotes-about-dogs-cat-hair.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I have a lab myself so well used to that but this little chap had been in the sea and was soaked but also covered in sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Fair bloody play to you. Did the owner have a lead that needed fixingðŸ˜ðŸ€“

I have a lab myself so well used to that but this little chap had been in the sea and was soaked but also covered in sand.

Ahhhh no, no good deed goes unpunished eh? Fair play to ya for helping him. Could have been worse, you could have met our lad who has twice now rolled in cow poo after he's been for a swim in the river :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Hit the wrong route on map My Ride, ended up doing nearly 39k instead of 32k. Soggy start but dried up after 20mins. Needed an energy bar or something as the last 20-25mins I was hungry. 1hr33mins. Avg speed 24.9k. Longest run yet:-D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lazy old spin up Cruagh and back via Glencree for the longest spin yet since doing my shoulders in. Tiring as getting my expanding gut up the hill, and sore and all as descending was on the shoulders, a great day to be out on the bike and it still beats seven shades of shyte out of a turbo session. Only a measly 38k but progress. Cruagh still partially closed but passable by bike, and met a parade heading to the German graveyard one the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Looked at the forecast, which said rain later so decided to get out for a spin before work instead of riding to and from work in the wet - plus I could use the good bike.
    54Km around and about NCD

https://www.strava.com/activities/1281862833

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

A nice gentle 40k on the winter bike. Got caught in a light shower - you'd miss the warm rain from the summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday: Dublin spin, headed out to blessington and on towards Poulaphouca, back to blessington and back through manor kilbride and home .
    53 km avg just over 26 kph.

Today: Wexford spin, headed on coast road to Kilmuckridge, Blackwater and on to curracloe. At t junction took right and headed to Castlebridge, straight through on road to Crossabeg and on to main wexford/ Enniscorthy road. Left on road to wexford town and left up by hospital and back to old bridge. Took coast road back to curracloe, Blackwater, Kilmuckridge and home. 75 km avg 25.7 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭secman

Just an observation , on my spin today, just past curracloe a group of about 6-7 coming in opposite direction to me , we acknowledged each other, about 30 seconds later a tractor and trailer full of bales came flying around a bend, with the front loading forks down at cyclist neck height ! I signalled to him to slow down and pointed back down the road.in the direction of the cycle group. pure madness.

Yesterday I finally got around to following up route advice given on here.

Did Dalkey through Shankill, Bray, Greystones, turned right in Kilcoole and took the R764 route to Rounwood, then back via Eniskerry and Ballychorus road and Ballybrack. 64k and 1050m of climbing.

Got home, showered, ate a huge lunch and went to the Aviva for rugby and copious amounts of Guinness.

‘‘Twas a good day.

Just my usual 19Km commute into work. Roads were quite muddy so all my black kit is now shades of brown...
    Not as cold as the past few days and so I had one layer too many on and so got to work a hot sweaty mess.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1283392131

Made it home in great time given that I'd just finished my shift - 31.7Km/h average! Must have been the removal of the extra layer made me faster...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1284036021

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Had a great four hour spin by myself yesterday. Out the coast via Killiney Hill and Windgates, Kilcoole, NMK, Roundwood, Liam Horner, Featherbeds and home. Got very chilly with a bit of sleet up at the Featherbeds but otherwise it's was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Doc07

Miklos wrote: »
    Had a great four hour spin by myself yesterday. Out the coast via Killiney Hill and Windgates, Kilcoole, NMK, Roundwood, Liam Horner, Featherbeds and home. Got very chilly with a bit of sleet up at the Featherbeds but otherwise it's was perfect.

Great to get over the featherbeds this late in the year. Will you make it out any Wednesday this side side of Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

4hrs 15mins for me today and up to 3.5hrs with just a black coffee before leaving, enjoying these fasted spins with the challenge of working towards a full 5hr spin on just coffee.

An enjoyable spin at a decent but steady pace but sickened I lost the sprint at the end as I felt really good, left it too late. Great time of year for the bike imo.

122km at 28.6 avg and plenty time on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

dahat wrote:
    4hrs 15mins for me today and up to 3.5hrs with just a black coffee before leaving, enjoying these fasted spins with the challenge of working towards a full 5hr spin on just coffee.

I've seen you mention about fasted and coffee only spins a few times.
    Do you mind me asking what the reason/thought behind this is?
    Or is it just to see how far you can push yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Felexicon wrote: »
    I've seen you mention about fasted and coffee only spins a few times.
    Do you mind me asking what the reason/thought behind this is?
    Or is it just to see how far you can push yourself?

It's part of a greater plan to shift weight, eat less on the bike so the body burns fat as fuel instead of what I put in for breakfast and consume as I go.
    Now I'm by means an expert but I have adopted this on my Sunday club spins and find I'm starting to feel better after the spin and able to increase intensity towards the end for the inevitable club sprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

62km and change, from home in Valleymount over to Laragh via the Wicklow Gap and then to the top of Shay Elliot from the Laragh side, and back home the same way, over the Gap again.
    Went full Sean Kelly on SE, took the winter gloves off as they were actually too warm, and it was really quite pleasant! Enjoyable spin, a tad over 2.5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Never really warmed up this morning on the club spin to Drogheda despite being in all Galibier Mistral gear. It wasn't helped by regular stops to repair those stupid clips on three different sets of Raceblade mudguards. Why they can't come up with a better design is beyond me.
    Recovered well thanks to soup and a sandwich in Bia and rashly suggested a detour via Skerries and Rush on the way home. It did get us off the horrible R132 but added a fair few km into a strengthening SW wind. Happy to make it home after 124km in 5 hours rolling time.
    One of those days where you question why you do it but checking Strava after and finding I broke 10,000 for the year certainly eased the pain :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1291613256/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1511711835

Bia is a great spot for food.

You didn't run in to George Hook while you were in Drogheda did ya Mercian ???? Saw him there earlier , was raging I wasn't on my bike so I could wave and ring my bell at him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Bia is a great spot for food.

You didn't run in to George Hook while you were in Drogheda did ya Mercian ???? Saw him there earlier , was raging I wasn't on my bike so I could wave and ring my bell at him :D

No sign of him and only one close pass all morning. Don't think it was him unless he was cross-dressing 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... It wasn't helped by regular stops to repair those stupid clips on three different sets of Raceblade mudguards. Why they can't come up with a better design is beyond me.....
    Stopping for mudguard mechanicals is getting frustrating now. I don't think we've had a Sunday ride for months now without one. The problem is easily fixed but none of the 'regulars' seem interested in doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Stopping for mudguard mechanicals is getting frustrating now. I don't think we've had a Sunday ride for months now without one. The problem is easily fixed but none of the 'regulars' seem interested in doing it.

see my sig...

VCB headed out northwards from Balbriggan up towards JUlianstown into Bettystown-Mornington and onto Drogheda. Around Drogheda onto the north quays and onto Clogherhead and up the coast into Castlebellingam.
    Back in towards Dunleer into a low dangerous sun where something cut straight through my tyre.
    I seem to be poxed anytime we had that way.A puncture today - a faulty chainon the drogheda winter sportive last week. A puncture/blowout/gunshot the week before.
    A quick coffee in Dunleer and back on the road.
    Lost the lads descending through the Drogheda early afternoon shopping traffic. just dont have the kahuna's anymore to dodge traffic like that anymore.
    The horrible drag of Coney hill into Balbriggan hurt the legs too much.
    A quick stop to throw the power hose over myself and Rob Fowls bike so they would be allowed into the house.
    102km in 3hr 41.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1291664645

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement