Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights for training at night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

I have the Hope Vision1 and the Magicshine mj808 as in the link already posted.
    http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html

Hope -
    Good - AA batteries, can easily bring spares. Won't burn your house down. Handy to clip/on off if using on a commuter. I'd be happy enough with one on decent unlit roads. Not good enough on it's own for MTB.
    Bad - will cut out without warning when it exhausts the batteries. Needs VERY GOOD batteries, cheapos won't keep up to it's current draw.

Magicshine MJ808
    Good - Very bright, good for MTB, can be helmet mounted, good price.
    Bad - some not so useful modes on some models (anyone else have the epilepsy inducing strobe feature?). Supplied cable is too short. Was recalled for spontaneous combustion I think.

These are what I have and they work for me, there are more and more options out there for lights, I've no doubt I could find a combination that would beat the above on price and function if I was in the market this winter.

Edit - the magishines don't use AA's AFAIK. Mine doesn't anyway. Plastic wrapped array of Lithium ions AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Anyone know anything about this Electron Terra 1, looks good for the price of €60 with a claimed 10hrs run time but would 120 lumens be good enough for country roads?

I would have thought so. I was using my TK11 in low (60 lumen) mode on entirely unlit wicklow roads last weekend and was entirely happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

I got one of these last year for about €65 and it's been the best money I spent on bike gear in quite a while.

The light has three settings:
    Main light on, side lights on, and all three lights on.
    And you can dim the light (alot) in any of the modes by holding down the button. Very happy about this feature, as the full strength of the light is way too much for most situations.

I commute about 35-40 mins each way, and on a few evening commutes I'll go a longer route of about 60-90 mins, and find that the battery lasts the week quite easily (Probably because I don't run it at full power).

The little button changes colour to let you know how much power the battery has left.

Anyway they are only €53 at the moment and at that price you can't go wrong!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

hi,

not sure if this thread was linked to at all.

I use a magicshine on the handlebars and the above discussed torch on my helmet.
    The torch is about 40$ total -torch, 2 batteries & a charger.
    There is also a vid of it on page 3 of above.

the magicshine & the torch above give plenty of light - I use them all the time and are excellent.
    I ride trails in winter around navan in total darkness and this combination works great.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Anyone know anything about this Electron Terra 1, looks good for the price of €60 with a claimed 10hrs run time but would 120 lumens be good enough for country roads?
    hi,I have one of those lights 'Terra 1' and its not a bad light,i use it on dark country roads and it will do the job but i was thinking of getting another one as id prefer some more light but it will do the job,the edge are doing a deal on their website for a pair for 90 euro which would do the job nicely, http://www.theedge-sports.com/store/search.asp,and the run time is what it says on the tin,they're not the brightest but will do on country roads just fine,i belt away at full speed on familiar roads a few nights a week,cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

Picked up one of these after asking a similar question....have only used it for a few hours so far, super bright, no idea about duarbility etc, but sure for 20e...!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1200-Lumen-CREE-XML-T6-LED-Bike-Bicycle-Outdoor-Sports-Light-HeadLight-headLamp-/300677445326?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item4601c5b6ce

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

padjo5 wrote: »
    Picked up one of these after asking a similar question....have only used it for a few hours so far, super bright, no idea about duarbility etc, but sure for 20e...!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1200-Lumen-CREE-XML-T6-LED-Bike-Bicycle-Outdoor-Sports-Light-HeadLight-headLamp-/300677445326?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item4601c5b6ce

Thanks for the link but on your one is part of the power cable permanently attached to the light itself as the pics suggest? What is the reason for that - is the excess cable annoying on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

Surinam wrote: »
    padjo5 wrote: »

Thanks for the link but on your one is part of the power cable permanently attached to the light itself as the pics suggest? What is the reason for that - is the excess cable annoying on the bike?

Yeah it is, think on most of these models there is an inch or 2 of cable from the battery pack, and about 10inches attached to the light. Not a prob, just tuck it away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Very good comparison of different lights.
    http://road.cc/content/news/46538-big-roadcc-lights-test-data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

tested out my new cayeye lights last night, went out at 9pm so it was nice and dark the headlight is the Cateye HL-EL540 RC,not as bright as i was hoping but still a very good light no problems seeing where you were going lit up the roads nicly ,i also had a cheap smart front ligh along side the cateye pointed directly in front of wheel proved very good indeed.
    its a pricy enough light at 75 sterling but yeah have to say it worked great ,loads on dimming headlight from oncoming cars so i was seen from a good distance,
    now the tail light is only fantastic cayeye TL-LD1100 worth every penny.
    i was out for 1.5hours the front headlight did not loose any power and only needed a short top up charge when i got home.
    verdict rear light 10
    front08.5 out of ten ;):cool:
    btw night riding is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭buffalo

Had my Moon 300 with me tonight, didn't need its full capabilities as I was only up Howth. However, coming along the Clontarf cycle lane, the flashing mode was extremely useful - like a visual bell. People either got of the way, or stayed stock still. Of course, still have to slow down, especially for the dog walkers.

I just don't understand why they use the cycle lane when there's a) a nice footpath just over the wee wall, and b) a wonderful promenade down by the water. If there's a problem with one, why not use the other? What's the attraction of the cycle lane?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Yeah, had my Moon x300 out last night. Great light. Everyone in the group was asking about it. Lovely looking light, USB chargeable and light with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I use the light Padjo5 above has too.A great light,lights up the road as good as my Hope 2 light,which was €200!!Cheap as chips,and even if the customs gets to it in the post office,sure duty on €20 is very very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Got a NiteRider MiNewt 600 for my birthday last week. Tried it out this morning and was very impressed. Very bright at the highest setting, and lit the road well ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

Thanks for all the posts guys

In the end I went with the Exposure Strada

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-strada-mk3-front-light/

I realised from the posts that my original budget wasn't enough so I started looking at the Lumicycle LED 3 Si Elite 26 but then i seen wiggle[link above] were selling off the mark 3 strada to make way for the mark 4

It seemed to be the closest fit to the original specs
    -decent battery life on high
    -bright enough for unlit country roads
    -single unit

But also has the advantage of the extra battery pack to double or triple the battery life if you need it

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

Holy ****, €260!?! Jesus man, the second post in this thread has enough light on high mode for me to descend at 60kph on completely unlit country roads in complete darkness. Yes, it'll only do 2 hours on high, but it has superb light at low also and more than enough for the vast majority of each cycle. And it is rechargeable by usb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

260.................gulp.........please make it go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Lads hopefully the OP is happy with the purchase...that's the main thing, don't make him regret the purchase!

Although for that kinda money you could try a shimano hub dynamo with a cyo...although there's a new b&m light coming out soon too, the luxos, looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Plastik wrote: »
    Holy ****, €260!?! Jesus man, the second post in this thread has enough light on high mode for me to descend at 60kph on completely unlit country roads in complete darkness. Yes, it'll only do 2 hours on high, but it has superb light at low also and more than enough for the vast majority of each cycle. And it is rechargeable by usb.

The expensive thing about lights is not the LEDs themselves but really the batteries.

For me its all about the batteries. My night rides include up to 6.5hr rides in total darkness. Burn times of alot of the lights just doesn't cut it.

Its all about the battery! (well not really but its very very important)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

G rock wrote: »
    ...although there's a new b&m light coming out soon too, the luxos, looks amazing

Hopefully the build quality is better than the IXON IQs, which aren't great for the money you pay tbh. I've bust one at the catch so it needs a cable tie to keep closed, as has another cyclist I was chatting to recently. A good light let down by poor construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just tried out my new light for the first time last night and all i can say is WOW!. Yes its expensive, but it does the job very well. Its bright, bloody bright!.

Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think once you're over about €150 system cost a dynamo solution is worth considering.

A complete dynamo system (wheel, front and rear lights) costs about €250-€300 and never needs recharging.

edit: actually, Spa Cycles do handbuilt hub dynamo wheels from £75:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s170p1793

And the decent-for-the-money Busch + Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo Senso Plus front light is €60 from bike24:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;menu=1000,5,66;product=9985

...so that should come out at somewhere around €200 depending on rear light choice and shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Lumen wrote: »
    I think once you're over about €150 system cost a dynamo solution is worth considering.

A complete dynamo system (wheel, front and rear lights) costs about €250-€300 and never needs recharging.

Whats the ease of installation and changing between bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Fluxient 3x XM-L U2 - maximum lux at 1mt: 18,920
    £129.99 excl carriage i presume.

I am looking at this bad boy anyone have it?

tunney wrote: »
    Whats the ease of installation and changing between bikes?

Ah, good point. I only use one bike during the winter.

A wheel swap is obviously trivial. The rest takes...longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭_Skitso_

Any link to this please, I'm in the market for a light for country road cycling! Too much choice is half the problem I think!

Looks like an off-road light. Check out the hedge illumination, that's going to cause carnage on the road.

Road.JPG

Lumen wrote: »
    Looks like an off-road light. Check out the hedge illumination, that's going to cause carnage on the road.

Road.JPG

Do you think so for around Sally Gap in the late hours.
    I was up watching the lads do the race around Ireland at 2am now they had a car behind them but I thought the bike lights werent great?
    Ive never cycled at night so im a newbie

_Skitso_ wrote: »
    Any link to this please, I'm in the market for a light for country road cycling! Too much choice is half the problem I think!

I know where you are coming from Skitso sounds like we after the same thing if you find anything simialr and a bit cheaper let me know please mate.
    http://www.bikelightsuk.com/front_bike_lights/fluxient_3xu2_3000_lumen_bike_light_P593.html

• Advertisement

Do you think so for around Sally Gap in the late hours.

What happens when you meet oncoming traffic? Can you dip them? Those lights look plain dangerous for road use.

The ideal road lights have just enough light for you to see the road and no more, and either have a dip function (the Exposure Strada is the only one I know of) or don't need dipping because they have either a focused, narrow round beam (e.g. Exposure road lights like the Joystick) or a sharp horizontal cut off (e.g. Philips LED, B&M).

If you have too much light your eyes won't adjust properly to the darkness and you'll get tunnel vision.
    I was up watching the lads do the race around Ireland at 2am now they had a car behind them but I thought the bike lights werent great?

The RAI team I crewed for a couple of years ago used a variety of lights including Exposure and Ayup. Their favourites were the Ayup.

Advertisement