Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can't help half liking Luke O'Neill in spite of himself. I'd prefer to share a road trip with him than Duffy, even if he were talking about himself in the bar in the evening, at least I'dd feel slightly more cheered & hopeful than with the talk of sickness and death. They both lack humility, but one focuses on hope the other on despair.
    This, all day long!

I defended Luke O'Neill on the Pat Kenny thread as literally the ONLY positive voice in this whole ****show, and I stand by that still.

Not listening to BOC, he's gone the way of Joe Duffy for me, and any time I try to tune in it just drags me down.

But if I'd know Luke was on, I might have braved a bit of it - just for a bit of positivity. Be better than Spoofer Donnelly whom I've just ignored for the last half hour on Newstalk (Gavan O'Reilly letting me down bigtime this morning)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Big damage limitation job on Frank in Ireland.

"What's not to like about the Gleesons and Tom Vaughan Lawlor?"

It was absolute crap.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

On the ball there. Some time back a psychiatrist was speaking on the radio, not sure if it wasn't Brendan O'Connor Show. He made the very same point about the term Mental Health and described it as a pop-culture moniker used by media types that has little connection with actual mental health as viewed from the fully qualified professionals who practice in the area, the nurses, psychiatrists, psychologists. He argued that this suited recent governments very well as it placed the sphere under the remit of pop culture figures & charities rather than medical & allied professional services which have to be properly funded to be effective.

Was it Ian Robertson (Scottish accent?) I really like him.

That mad Italian fella was a tonic. I hope he manages to get of the steecks on the side (crutches) soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I can't help half liking Luke O'Neill in spite of himself. I'd prefer to share a road trip with him than Duffy, even if he were talking about himself in the bar in the evening, at least I'dd feel slightly more cheered & hopeful than with the talk of sickness and death. They both lack humility, but one focuses on hope the other on despair.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This, all day long!

I defended Luke O'Neill on the Pat Kenny thread as literally the ONLY positive voice in this whole ****show, and I stand by that still.

Not listening to BOC, he's gone the way of Joe Duffy for me, and any time I try to tune in it just drags me down.

But if I'd know Luke was on, I might have braved a bit of it - just for a bit of positivity. Be better than Spoofer Donnelly whom I've just ignored for the last half hour on Newstalk (Gavan O'Reilly letting me down bigtime this morning)

Ah come on now ladies you’re not exactly setting the bar very high there if the only choices are O’Neill and Duffy. At least O’Neill speaks English.

Ah come on now ladies you’re not exactly setting the bar very high there if the only choices are O’Neill and Duffy. At least O’Neill speaks English.

I could talk science with Like and learn so much from him, he goes yachting where I could help with the ropes... you'd have a good time with Luke, and he does speak English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’d have a jam with Luke, I’d jam with Duffy too but i don’t think the world is ready to hear what we’d produce together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I’d jam with Duffy too but i don’t think the world is ready to hear what we’d produce together

Trash metal. Joe for the trash and you for the metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I could talk science with Like and learn so much from him, he goes yachting where I could help with the ropes... you'd have a good time with Luke, and he does speak English.

You see!!

Trash metal. Joe for the trash and you for the metal.

Jaysus I’m curious now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

You have put into words exactly what I think of him and his show. But it's not only him. All of RTE radio and television has become a total turnoff. All the same views all the time, no controversy any more. I suppose they are just reflecting the current malaise that nobody can be offended, all inclusive, mental health, blah blah. In many ways it has been in my favour, as I have been addicted to news shows all my life, and only now am beginning to appreciate good music radio for the first time.

I agree with that for sure, but it's also just the sheer poor quality of a lot of stuff now too. Over the last year or so, it's just gone off a cliff. I used to avoid one or two shows on RTE radio (Tubridy, D'Arsey), but now I avoid or just don't bother with most of it...Today with Claire Byrne (a joke), Drivetime, BOC. And as for the TV, if there ever was an example of just how bad current affairs output has become, just look at...yes her again...Claire Byrne Live.

All the blandness parallels the growth of Twitter use and of course legal action.

While listenership has shot up since the first wave and the first lockdown, the quality of programming has probably fallen. Sorry to say I would include Claire Byrne's radio programme in that. Her TV show is simply unwatchable and unenlightening. I think these programmes have suffered from bad production decisions because she herself is an excellent broadcaster.

By the way, just getting back to Joe Duffy (edit, sorry, I thought this was the Joe Duffy thread) and Lockdown — Duffy works from RTE does he? Why is that? I wouldn't describe it as essential work that cannot be done from home. Pat kenny is able to work from home, and communicate remotely with the production team, surely Joe has a spare room? You could ask the same of most RTE broadcasters actually. It's not really in keeping with the spirit if lockdown.

While listenership has shot up since the first wave and the first lockdown, the quality of programming has probably fallen. Sorry to say I would include Claire Byrne's radio programme in that. Her TV show is simply unwatchable and unenlightening. I think these programmes have suffered from bad production decisions because she herself is an excellent broadcaster.

Yeah I used to think Claire Byrne was a pretty decent broadcaster...back in her Newstalk days and even up until more recent times on RTE...but I just find everything about her recent output almost unlistenable. I just don't listen to her at all now...and I've been a Today listener (even religiously listening to podcasts when abroad) for years.

So many great threads about the drop in standards at Rte, particularly relating to individual shows I think we need a centralised one

By the way, just getting back to Joe Duffy (edit, sorry, I thought this was the Joe Duffy thread) and Lockdown — Duffy works from RTE does he? Why is that? I wouldn't describe it as essential work that cannot be done from home. Pat kenny is able to work from home, and communicate remotely with the production team, surely Joe has a spare room? You could ask the same of most RTE broadcasters actually. It's not really in keeping with the spirit if lockdown.

You need a modicum of adaptability (basic smartness really) to do that, which Duffy certainly does not have, and as for Ray Darcy and his inability to press buttons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

You have put into words exactly what I think of him and his show. But it's not only him. All of RTE radio and television has become a total turnoff. All the same views all the time, no controversy any more. I suppose they are just reflecting the current malaise that nobody can be offended, all inclusive, mental health, blah blah. In many ways it has been in my favour, as I have been addicted to news shows all my life, and only now am beginning to appreciate good music radio for the first time.

What stations do you listen to? I’m on the lookout. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

I think the problem with Claire Byrne besides it being lightweight stuff, you just hear her voice too much, spouting cliche after cliche. To me it seems that all current affair programmes are the same banal thrash. I don't listen any more, but am very grateful for those who do, and post their observations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    What stations do you listen to? I’m on the lookout. Thanks

I have Radio Garden installed, full of rural Irish stations, and stations the world over.
    You would never tire of listening. Genuine broadcasters. No one trying to push any agenda. I love C and W, but am learning to tune my ear to other kinds of music. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I think the problem with Claire Byrne besides it being lightweight stuff, you just hear her voice too much, spouting cliche after cliche. To me it seems that all current affair programmes are the same banal thrash. I don't listen any more, but am very grateful for those who do, and post their observations here.

I recommend you listen to the last ten mins of tubridys show last Friday and catch the phone in quiz it’s gold

I did ask this at the start of phase 1 but believe it or not so to speak broadcasting was classed as an essential service. Now one could argue that in this day and age with the quality of ISDN lines etc that the shows could continue from the broadcaster’s homes with a skeleton crew in Montrose (Tubs broadcast from home for a while) but I suspect the ego and self-importance of some RTÉ on air talent in particular demands they’re traversing the city and on site so to speak. I can certainly imagine the phrase “do you know who I am?” being uttered if a Garda had the audacity to ask a certain person where they were traveling to.....so to speak.

And we know the rules don’t apply to RTÉ staff anyway, esp. for retirement parties.

I did ask this at the start of phase 1 but believe it or not so to speak broadcasting was classed as an essential service. Now one could argue that in this day and age with the quality of ISDN lines etc that the shows could continue from the broadcaster’s homes with a skeleton crew in Montrose (Tubs broadcast from home for a while)
    Is there a list of broadcasters who do work from home somewhere here? I had a search but couldn't find it.

I can understand Brendan O'Connor not working from home, it's pretty hard to run a free-flowing panel discussion when nobody can see one another.

I know Audrey Carrville, Gavin Jennings, and possibly Bryan Dobson work from home. Sarah McInerney broadcasts from home some days of the week. Over at Newstalk, Pat kenny and (I think) Moncrieff broadcast from home.

Can see no excuse for Duffy and Tubs not working from home. One broadcasts a monologue and phone interviews, the other connects callers to one another on the telephone. There is no excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Can see no excuse for Duffy and Tubs not working from home. One broadcasts a monologue and phone interviews, the other connects callers to one another on the telephone. There is no excuse.

Yes, it would be ideal as RTE have the whole telephone thing down to perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Cole wrote: »
    I agree with that for sure, but it's also just the sheer poor quality of a lot of stuff now too. Over the last year or so, it's just gone off a cliff. I used to avoid one or two shows on RTE radio (Tubridy, D'Arsey), but now I avoid or just don't bother with most of it...Today with Claire Byrne (a joke), Drivetime, BOC. And as for the TV, if there ever was an example of just how bad current affairs output has become, just look at...yes her again...Claire Byrne Live.

If you want evidence of dumbing down, just think, both Claire’s shows on tv and radio were originally presented by Pat Kenny and look at them now. Absolutely no comparison between the presenters, think of Kenny’s intelligence, range, analysis and then there’s Claire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Yes, it would be ideal as RTE have the whole telephone thing down to perfection.

First day of training at RTÉ

Trainer: Right line 1 doesn't work, so put them on line 2.
    Trainee: No bother
    Trainer: Grand training finished, just take the rest of the day off, talk to you tomorrow
    Trainee: Sound

Next day

Trainee: He's on line one, Brendan
    Brendan: Grand .... blah blah blah sure in cork we ...... and sorry we seem to have some trouble we will try to get you on a better line
    Trainee: Sorry about that he's on line 2.

20 years later trainee is lead producer

Lead Producer: He's on line one, ..... Katherine (Lynch)
    Katherine: Grand .... blah blah blah sure in Leitrim its all rocks .... and sorry we seem to have some trouble with that line. .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Yeah I used to think Claire Byrne was a pretty decent broadcaster...back in her Newstalk days and even up until more recent times on RTE...but I just find everything about her recent output almost unlistenable. I just don't listen to her at all now...and I've been a Today listener (even religiously listening to podcasts when abroad) for years.

She was dreadful when she was on Newstalk, asking the same question over and over in a different tone is not going to elicit answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is there a list of broadcasters who do work from home somewhere here? I had a search but couldn't find it.

I can understand Brendan O'Connor not working from home, it's pretty hard to run a free-flowing panel discussion when nobody can see one another.

I know Audrey Carrville, Gavin Jennings, and possibly Bryan Dobson work from home. Sarah McInerney broadcasts from home some days of the week. Over at Newstalk, Pat kenny and (I think) Moncrieff broadcast from home.

Any ideas what kind of network connection they would be using? Don't think standard domestic broadband is really up to broadcast quality transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Any ideas what kind of network connection they would be using? Don't think standard domestic broadband is really up to broadcast quality transmission.

Not sure if they could risk having them working from home, 3 different days this week they Lost connection with a call on the news at 1, two times that I saw there was issues with an interviewees earpiece on 6.01 and the usual liveline bad lines. It's bad enough when it's a caller who drops but if a presenter drops they're toast!

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Not sure if they could risk having them working from home, 3 different days this week they Lost connection with a call on the news at 1, two times that I saw there was issues with an interviewees earpiece on 6.01 and the usual liveline bad lines. It's bad enough when it's a caller who drops but if a presenter drops they're toast!

Now that you mention it, everyone who works from home (Audrey Carville, Dobson, Gavin Jennings, Sarah McInerney) is always co-hosting with someone in studio. They're probably unwilling to risk a domestic broadband line for a solo broadcast.

Pat Kenny manages it, mind you. I haven't heard so much as a hiccup with his line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Turn the clock back 20 years and ISDN was what was used. I'm out of the game so long now I dont even know if ISDN is still available to order ! Are PRI & BRI lines still a thing or is it all 'mux it over IP' ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

This morning, Rachel English's line gradually dropped on Morning Ireland at the start of a feature.
    Her co host Aine Lawlor had to introduce a commercial break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

She was dreadful when she was on Newstalk, asking the same question over and over in a different tone is not going to elicit answers.

My exact memory of her on Newstalk too. Amazed at the upward velocity of her career tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My exact memory of her on Newstalk too. Amazed at the upward velocity of her career tbh

Good management and good looks can take you far.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

She doesnt seem to understand a lot of the topics she discusses. Is this genuinely the case or her way of bringing the audience through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭hamburgham

She’s totally inoffensive, nobody has anything to worry about if she’s asking 5he questions. Never going to upset anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

0lddog wrote: »
    Turn the clock back 20 years and ISDN was what was used. I'm out of the game so long now I dont even know if ISDN is still available to order ! Are PRI & BRI lines still a thing or is it all 'mux it over IP' ?
    Apparently they still use ISDN for radio presenters. Regular broadband is not reliable enough, and 128K is just about fast enough for FM quality speech I believe.

The canteen is being raided again for guests. Jennifer Z-list today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Radio on

RTÉ “star” interviewing another RTÉ “star”

Radio off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They blew the budget on Tom Jones yesterday... beans an toast for two weeks now

I've just copied and pasted my comment from last week...
    "Yet another 'happy' media figure who it turns out has mental health issues...and wants to tell us and BOC all about it"

I've already given up on this on this sh1tshow on a Sunday. I'll be adding Saturday now I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

In that interview the interviewee joked about tricking her husband into having a baby and they both had a great laugh.

Is it just me being a bit precious or is that really not on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I think she is a much stronger broadcaster on RTE. Then she ever was on Newstalk. But that is not saying much.

They blew the budget on Tom Jones yesterday... beans an toast for two weeks now

I caught a bit of Tubridy's interview with the singing superstar/sleazebag Tom Jones on Playback this morning. The guy who put his reclusive and vulnerable wife through public humiliation with his cheating (and bragging about it) for over 50 years...having a chat with the guy who's all about the gorgeous kindness in people.

I caught a bit of Tubridy's interview with the singing superstar/sleazebag Tom Jones on Playback this morning. The guy who put his reclusive and vulnerable wife through public humiliation with his cheating (and bragging about it) for over 50 years...having a chat with the guy who's all about the gorgeous kindness in people.

Its never mentioned shamefully

Tubs is great at looking down his nose at the behaviour of people in the public eye but the second they agree to be on any of his shows they are totes amazeballs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I have long categorised Tom Jones in the absolute scumbag drawer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I have long categorised Tom Jones in the absolute scumbag drawer

You may be quite right there.......

There are many public figure's down through the years including a couple of potus's who had a job keeping their trousers on who are treated as Gods and untouchables by the quivering sycophantic media here, yet they can dig up a recording from the mists of time and point piously.....oh look bad bad man, like sheep when a ditch is knocked they all follow each through the same gap baaaaing as they go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I've just copied and pasted my comment from last week...
    "Yet another 'happy' media figure who it turns out has mental health issues...and wants to tell us and BOC all about it"

I've already given up on this on this sh1tshow on a Sunday. I'll be adding Saturday now I think.

Yeah, I would really question Jenny Z bona fides on the subject she spoke about. Was she not describing most of the contestants on ...The Apprentice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Oh for fux sake. Glad I missed that.

Advertisement