Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New social housing Johnstown court

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Well people clearly are buying in new developments, I just dont think that they are very clever people in the slightest. I also dont think that the majority of the population is actually aware of the current Part V regs, and if they were , then maybe they wouldnt be so eager to purchase a new build. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

I’ve bought in a new development this year and we were very aware of the part V conditions - not everyone wants to live in an old house - in our estate we could find the part v houses as they were on the planning permission.

And at the end of the day, our house is our home as it’ll be owned by us and we don’t have to worry about the council or a landlord while renting

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

I’ve bought in a new development this year and we were very aware of the part V conditions - not everyone wants to live in an old house - in our estate we could find the part v houses as they were on the planning permission.

And at the end of the day, our house is our home as it’ll be owned by us and we don’t have to worry about the council or a landlord while renting

It depends as well on the size of the development. I’m not worried about the part v of my development at all, it’ll be just 4 one bed apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Madeoface

I live in the area too. Mainly one beds as one poster said so I don't know where they'll keep the scramblers and pit bulls..

The whole block is social, so what will happen the other block then? Will DLRCoCo allow that to become a mini ghetto as very few people will shell out big money for a private apartment that sits across from 50 units of social housing. You'd hope Cluid run a tight ship.

There is another block of social housing (rented i think) up by the national school for the last 5 years which originally looked to be populated by young single mammies (sorry, one parent families) but I've noticed a lot of the dads are in there now too. To be fair it remains in good nick and appears to have no issues.

In contrast we have an absentee landlord opposite who has rented his place to the council for the last 10 years - nothing but trouble in it. Raids by the drugs squad, fights, junkies coming and going...young shams driving in and out of it in their BMW's at all hours; so you can get nonsense anywhere.

You'd hope the people are vetted properly but it only takes a couple of tenants to ruin it for the other people in genuine need. It would be ideal for pensioners though, with the shops and medical centre opposite....though come back in ten years and that could be a methodone clinic!

Madeoface wrote: »
    I live in the area too. Mainly one beds as one poster said so I don't know where they'll keep the scramblers and pit bulls..

The whole block is social, so what will happen the other block then? Will DLRCoCo allow that to become a mini ghetto as very few people will shell out big money for a private apartment that sits across from 50 units of social housing. You'd hope Cluid run a tight ship.

There is another block of social housing (rented i think) up by the national school for the last 5 years which originally looked to be populated by young single mammies (sorry, one parent families) but I've noticed a lot of the dads are in there now too. To be fair it remains in good nick and appears to have no issues.

In contrast we have an absentee landlord opposite who has rented his place to the council for the last 10 years - nothing but trouble in it. Raids by the drugs squad, fights, junkies coming and going...young shams driving in and out of it in their BMW's at all hours; so you can get nonsense anywhere.

You'd hope the people are vetted properly but it only takes a couple of tenants to ruin it for the other people in genuine need. It would be ideal for pensioners though, with the shops and medical centre opposite....though come back in ten years and that could be a methodone clinic!

Block opposite is being developed by the same builder, so it may follow suit. Would this be allowed or would residents be consulted?

I’ve lived in an area for the last 10 years with a good bit of social housing in it, and it hasn’t been an issue, that’s why I’m not too concerned, but as you say, just one person can cause loads of problems. Of course this is correct as well in estates without social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Madeoface

Block opposite is being developed by the same builder, so it may follow suit. Would this be allowed or would residents be consulted?

Who would be consulting them? The developer doesn't care who buys them and the charity is not concerned with the locals, their only function is to ensure they fulfil their mandate and keep their well paid jobbies. The left in the council think its great (they kept the ghost bus that is the 59 running despite it being empty about 90% of the time) and the others can't make a scene because of the homeless crisis....though 14% of the people on the list in DLRCOCO still refused housing as it wasn't large enough or wasn't where they wanted to be....

Unless the unfortunate people who back on to these two soon very ugly and large buildings lobby their councillors then it could very well be 100 units...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Madeoface wrote: »
    Who would be consulting them?

Unless the unfortunate people who back on to these two soon very ugly and large buildings lobby their councillors then it could very well be 100 units...

Unfortunately i dont think any amount of lobbying will make a difference. The council have told us their desire to house people trumps any concerns locals have and any opportunity they get to get people off their housing lists they will take. The % of social housing doesnt matter.

I recently saw on the local authority planning a developer finally have his application approved. Not because he remedied the issues that were objected too. But because he applied using the strategic housing plan and basically went around the LA. An Board Planala approved no questions asked basically. So all the locals who were concerned about traffic, children at play, safety, lack of amenities have been ignored.
    We are retuning to times where the aim was build build build and worry about schools, traffic, access to GP"s later.

I've been reading the latest newsletter from Cluid and it specifies that they received 54 complaints last year. Out of a total of nearly 7.5k houses/homes. That doesn't look too bad at all. I would be happy with those figures, as long as they are true

https://www.cluid.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/From-House-to-Home_Summer2020_web.pdf

small update:

Apartent block is nearly finished and due to the magic Murphy's Law, I actually know one person that has been offered an apartment there. Looks like they are all garda vetted and checked for anti social behaviour. I ended up buying my house near. After all, housing is a necessity and I realized I am not too bothered about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I would run a mile. Speaking as someone who grew up in social housing.
    99% of people will be great. Its the 1% or pr!cks that will destroy the development (and that 1% is always present in social housing).
    And if their destruction is visible to potential buyers in future, you will lose money when you sell.

And that Garda vetting means nothing. I have a friend who moved in and a lovely couple moved in beside them with their two 12 and 13 year olds.
    Roll on a few years and one of those kids is now one of the biggest dealers in the area. Has gangs of scumbags out in the front garden every day.
    I would not like to be trying to sell a house within sight of that.

Advertisement