Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New social housing Johnstown court

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Gatling wrote: »
    In parts 42,000 enough for a mortgage , enough for a mortgage deposit no ,
    Is it a lot when you have to pay for childcare , medical and educational needs of children absolutely not .
    It there in private rentals half that income in going on rent

That 42,000 figure is specific to 3 adults and 4 children on one application. And only available in city locations.

42000 might be enough for a mortgage in some areas, you are correct, but those areas have an income limit of 26250 for 2 adults applying for social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

So, if no one buys in a new development, we will all end up living in 100 years old properties soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Speak to Cluid and ask what their policy is regarding possible anti social behaviour, but that can happen in private residences too.

I think all residents for Cluid have to be vetted and are under rules and regs. But who knows?

All their tenants are vetted but then Sharon gets up the duff and then Jason or one of the other possible fathers moves in. Next is a line of pyjama wearing dollies walking up to Dunnes for their supplies of nappies and Doritos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

So, if no one buys in a new development, we will all end up living in 100 years old properties soon enough.

Well people clearly are buying in new developments, I just dont think that they are very clever people in the slightest. I also dont think that the majority of the population is actually aware of the current Part V regs, and if they were , then maybe they wouldnt be so eager to purchase a new build. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

Friend of mine bought a semi detached house in a new development around 06/07.
    Attached to her are eastern europeans who have massive parties all weekend long.....
    The other side, she had a lovely single woman, whose ex convict brother moved in with her a few years ago, all sorts of dodgy people coming & going all the time.
    Smoke from joints coming into her house all the time from both sides, constant noise.

She is living in a nightmare. Private estate, all houses owner occupied.

Doesn't matter where you live, you cannot choose your neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I live in the area, which is a mature and well established location. I chose it 10 years ago as it didnt seem to have much development potential...or not as much as other places I was also viewing at the time.

Then this parcel of land was bought, then the land opposite. Theres also a housing estate almost finished down the road too. Theres accomodation going anywhere they can squeeze it.

Im not overly enthused by hearing its a social development, im hoping my ignorance will be proved wrong.

TBH, it has been a nightmare listening to the construction so far, now the other site has kicked off. The added traffic from these two developments will also result in a clusterfcuk.

I should move :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Gatling wrote: »
    You understand not everyone in social housing is lifelong unemployed ,

The majority work

Actually this is incorrect.

In 2019, 54% of social housing tenants were unemployed and in receipt of social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The part V in itself isn't new. But what I believe is new is that none of the part V homes are ever bought by the people living in them. Years ago when the developer would allocate properties to the local authority they were for affordable housing and shared ownership. Which meant someone got to buy it, (albeit discounted) that someone didnt have to be anyone on the housing list. It could have simply been someone who was a lower earner who in normal circumstances would never have gotten mortgage approval.

I actually agree with the part V in theory I just wish it went to someone who had to be financially invested. Someone who had to buy it.
    There is no social housing in our development. The builder made a sweet little deal with the local authority. However the same builder has bought another site and built houses on it and has now let every single house go to a housing agency and the entire development will be social housing. Not one single property will be bought or ever could be bought.

jrosen wrote: »
    The part V in itself isn't new. But what I believe is new is that none of the part V homes are ever bought by the people living in them. Years ago when the developer would allocate properties to the local authority they were for affordable housing and shared ownership. Which meant someone got to buy it, (albeit discounted) that someone didnt have to be anyone on the housing list. It could have simply been someone who was a lower earner who in normal circumstances would never have gotten mortgage approval.

I actually agree with the part V in theory I just wish it went to someone who had to be financially invested. Someone who had to buy it.
    There is no social housing in our development. The builder made a sweet little deal with the local authority. However the same builder has bought another site and built houses on it and has now let every single house go to a housing agency and the entire development will be social housing. Not one single property will be bought or ever could be bought.
    I have been involved in estates where affordable housing has been provided. Never a problem. Decent people on average incomes were able to buy in, get a stake in their development and get on with life. They are restrictions on selling up within a certain time frame etc but that is not an issue as these people are not speculators flipping properties.
    However I've seen estates where social housing is provided. Again the usual 90 % who want to do their bit, raise their kids etc and 10% wasters, supposedly vetted by the housing .agency. They have no idea of keeping aplaceclean, obeying estate rules etc and consistently whinging to the housing agency about the property

Edgware wrote: »
    I have been involved in estates where affordable housing has been provided. Never a problem. Decent people on average incomes were able to buy in, get a stake in their development and get on with life. They are restrictions on selling up within a certain time frame etc but that is not an issue as these people are not speculators flipping properties.
    However I've seen estates where social housing is provided. Again the usual 90 % who want to do their bit, raise their kids etc and 10% wasters, supposedly vetted by the housing .agency. They have no idea of keeping aplaceclean, obeying estate rules etc and consistently whinging to the housing agency about the property

I would share your view, never a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

We live in a small affordable/social area. 80% of residents are fine but there are unfortunately a few absolute scummer families who ruin the area. Kids/teens always up to no good and pointless approaching the parents as they are as bad. Couple of drug dealing houses also Gardai don't want to know despite being approached by residents.

You could get lucky and get nice neighbours as we have or you could be stuck beside Anto the life long scrounger with the 5 kids he's no interest in and 2 pit bulls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Hi, I have come across the report regarding social housing and it looks like there are 51 units allocated in Johnstown court, Cabinteely. Seems like a new block that is currently being built will go all for social. Managed by cluid homes
    I am in the process of buying nearby and I’m quite worried about this. Does anyone know anything else?

https://rebuildingireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Construction-Status-Report-Q4-2019-1.pdf

Page 34 of the report

Have a read of some of the residents of Cluid

Here’s Mary Sullivan

https://www.cluid.ie/news-stories/marys-our-story/

Have a read of some of the residents of Cluid

Here’s Mary Sullivan

https://www.cluid.ie/news-stories/marys-our-story/

If I were part of Cluid, Mary Sullivans story is the exact one I would want people to be reading.

Id also know the stories id be keeping quiet.

If I were part of Cluid, Mary Sullivans story is the exact one I would want people to be reading.

Thats the problem. Mary and many like here are good tenants who have availed of social housing and contribute to society. Then we have Jason, Jacinta and co who will not follow the house rules regarding bicycles left in common areas, closing of fire doors, late night parties, lines of washing on balconies and a lot more serious stuff. The Housing Agency wont enforce the rules. And people wonder why hard working property owners buckled down with mortgages dont want those ***** around the place

Like John Doyle Olympians
    https://www.cluid.ie/news-stories/john-doyles-our-story/

Or

Hao Anh Nguyen

https://www.cluid.ie/news-stories/world-refugee-day-2020-hao-anh-nguyen/

Or

Tony Sherlock
    https://www.cluid.ie/news-stories/tommy-sherlocks-our-story/

People like the any of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭billyhead

I have neighbours who are from African descent who got a social house in which the house was purchased up by the council for social housing and last week they purchased a brand new vehicle worth about 45,000. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Actually this is incorrect.

In 2019, 54% of social housing tenants were unemployed and in receipt of social welfare.

Quite a few of that 54% still working though ;)

billyhead wrote: »
    I have neighbours who are from African descent who got a social house in which the house was purchased up by the council for social housing and last week they purchased a brand new vehicle worth about 45,000. You couldn't make it up.

Hi Joan Burton how are you keeping?
    People on welfare can have nice things.
    They usually pay more for that pleasure depending on higher purchase schemes or high interest loans.

Thats great for tommy he got new windows and doors and a new heating system.

There are thousands of families across Ireland who could do with the same but wont get it.

So as I said they know the stories to pedal.

If you are working, paying reasonable rent to the council, havent a mortgage of 1200 a month then it is easy to buy a new vehicle on a 4 year loan. Being of African descent has nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement

Quite a few of that 54% still working though ;)

You are able to receive social welfare and work but don’t let me interrupt your usual diatribe.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭billyhead

Edgware wrote: »
    If you are working, paying reasonable rent to the council, havent a mortgage of 1200 a month then it is easy to buy a new vehicle on a 4 year loan. Being of African descent has nothing to do with it.

I don't think they work unless there working remotely because the kids are brought to school and collected and the vehicle is parked up the rest of the day apart from shopping trips etc. Also isn't the whole point of getting a free council house that you are living on the margins.

I know some people here want those on welfare to look and live like they are out of a Dickens novel but it’s 2020 some parts of society have evolved.

We have multiple different local authority and social housing schemes with many different criteria and eligibility.

As you don’t seem to know much about the family, I understand it’s difficult curtain twitching, why don’t you ask them?

Maybe they have a council loan?

Step away from the curtain and have a read of the different schemes:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/

I know some people here want those on welfare to look and live like they are out of a Dickens novel but it’s 2020 some parts of society have evolved.

We have multiple different local authority and social housing schemes with many different criteria and eligibility.

As you don’t seem to know much about the family, I understand it’s difficult curtain twitching, why don’t you ask them?

Maybe they have a council loan?

Step away from the curtain and have a read of the different schemes:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/

I think what most people want is for there to be some accountability from housing agencies for the tenants they place.

I think what most people want is for there to be some accountability from housing agencies for the tenants they place.

I want accountability for the neighbours beside me who like me bought their house but are a nightmare.

Some people are horrible, put on your big boy pants and sort it out yourself without looking for a scape goat.

I want accountability for the neighbours beside me who like me bought their house but are a nightmare.

Some people are horrible, put on your big boy pants and sort it out yourself without looking for a scape goat.

Who is looking for a scape goat?

Who is looking for a scape goat?

You’re looking for accountability from the council.
    Sort it out with the tenants.

You’re looking for accountability from the council.
    Sort it out with the tenants.

If councils are going to house people along with housing agencies the very least they can do is have a clear and transparent process for complaints. Its not alot to ask.

If councils are going to house people along with housing agencies the very least they can do is have a clear and transparent process for complaints. Its not alot to ask.

It is a lot to ask.

Why should they be treated any different to anyone else?

Why should someone have it easier because they live beside council tenants?

I’m not a council tenant, my neighbours not, we have to resolve things without any help.

Living beside a council tenant is much easier than living beside someone who owns their home.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/social-housing/local-authority-tenants-and-anti-social-behaviour

• Advertisement

I don't think they work unless there working remotely because the kids are brought to school and collected and the vehicle is parked up the rest of the day apart from shopping trips etc. Also isn't the whole point of getting a free council house that you are living on the margins.
    Rent is paid in accordance with the income going in to the house. I accept fully that the Councils efforts in recouping millions of rent arrears is pathetic needless to say bound by some rule that you cant deduct it from welfare.
    You dont have to be on the margins. People on low income will never be able to raise the necessary deposit or prove ability to repay a mortgage

Advertisement