Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's really the deal with Coffee?

Options
  • 15-09-2019 10:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23

Am I the only one that always assumed that coffee was bad for you? It was only when I started to read about it that I realised that apparently there are no health concerns with it!

There's a lot of people out there that think that if you drink coffee to wake up, instead of having a proper night's sleep, that there will be no long term impact. If you skip breakfast and fuel your mornings on caffeine, where does that leave you? Still coffee is relatively harmless compared to other drugs, but at the end of the day it is a drug... you get to drink it and feel awake all of a sudden! Isn't that a little too good to be true if you don't have to pay some other price?

Also, with the latest fasting trends, a lot of diet gurus and influencers are encouraging this 'go without food and drink coffee' habit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wrNIq-bH-w

Yet it's very hard to find evidence that coffee is bad for you. Could it be anything to do with industry funded research? And that many people can't like coffee, can they? Is it not a case of "oh look at me with my coffee, I'm fashion forward".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

John Bergman.

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

One of the best laxatives out there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh most people consider it a vice but a lot of recent research has associated many health benefits with coffee rather than negatives, so yay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Asian Scammer

John Bergman.

Lol.
    That was why I picked him. I couldn't get over how silly he came across in that video!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I think all the negative stuff around coffee is the caffeine, if your drinking 8 cups a day that's a lot of caffeine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Contains lots of antioxidants apparently.
    What about instant though?
    I think filtered is best, something to do with cholesterol?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'd say the bigger marketing scam is managing to convince people that "skipping breakfast" is in any way bad for you and not just another method of meal management.

Coffee in moderation is fine, go for less than 300mg (3 cups) black, finish drinking before lunch and it should have minimal impact on your sleep. Obviously in an ideal world you wouldn't have any dietary vices but black coffee is far preferable to a bowl sugary cereal or a pastry.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I assumed the negatives were if you loaded coffee with milk, cream, sugar etc. I just have plain black coffee/Americano and never saw why there'd be any negative from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

I assumed the negatives were if you loaded coffee with milk, cream, sugar etc. I just have plain black coffee/Americano and never saw why there'd be any negative from it.

Exactly, plain black coffee brings forward the energy your body has stored. Hence the slump 2-3 hours later.
    When you introduce milk and sugars that's when the calories start stacking up.

So depending what your goal is will depend on whether it's good or bad for your you.
    I imagine most people just want the caffeine hit so really they should just drink black coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

C'mon - coffee is a drug delivery system / flavoured water.

I gave up tea / coffee / caffeine containing drinks 25 years ago after getting anxiety attacks and struggling to sleep for several years and haven't looked back.

I get exasperated listening to people tell me they have trouble sleeping yet can't or won't stop taking the drug. And it never ceases to amaze me that people pay €2-€3 or more a cup for the stuff - some several times a day. (Think about it, 1 cup a day at 2.50 a cup is near on €1000 a year)!!

Think of all the agricultural land wasted growing tea and coffee - think of the carbon footprint of transport etc for processing and moving it around the globe, frankly I think the stuff immoral.

But - big business it is and they'd rather deflect attention to other things than simple solutions like banning tea / coffee.

Anyway - just my rant / opinion :)

PS - no health benefits ever proven - the couple of studies I've seen that indicate 'possible' benefits have extremely dubious premises and I've not checked but I'd take a shrewd guess as to who paid for them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Asian Scammer

Deagol wrote: »

I gave up tea / coffee / caffeine containing drinks 25 years ago after getting anxiety attacks and struggling to sleep for several years and haven't looked back.

I get exasperated listening to people tell me they have trouble sleeping yet can't or won't stop taking the drug. And it never ceases to amaze me that people pay €2-€3 or more a cup for the stuff - some several times a day. (Think about it, 1 cup a day at 2.50 a cup is near on €1000 a year)!!

Think of all the agricultural land wasted growing tea and coffee - think of the carbon footprint of transport etc for processing and moving it around the globe, frankly I think the stuff immoral.

But - big business it is and they'd rather deflect attention to other things than simple solutions like banning tea / coffee.

And it's a good opinion. I bow down to you.
    PS - no health benefits ever proven - the couple of studies I've seen that indicate 'possible' benefits have extremely dubious premises and I've not checked but I'd take a shrewd guess as to who paid for them ;)
    Deffo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-13-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coffee#section6
    I doubt you know all the studies. Its one of themost consumed beverages on earth for hundreds of years, and as such Im sure theres been a lot of interest in its effects on human health, and way more studies done than you could ever read all of. But good that not drinking works for you. Its a lot of money that people spend on it but its usually a social thing, its nice to drink it with people, sharing a cup of water doesnt have the same appeal. I dont know exactly how much impact it has on the environment, but if youre suggesting going the route of banning it on environmental grounds then where do you stop? Also need to ban chocolate then, exotic fruit and vegetables, we'd all be back on the meat spud and two winter veg diet again

Think of all the agricultural land wasted growing tea and coffee - think of the carbon footprint of transport etc for processing and moving it around the globe, frankly I think the stuff immoral

On the list of immoral items people buy/use, tea and coffee is way down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Read that black coffee uspets the tummmy

It doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Coffee is the most important meal of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It triggers a visit to the toilet but it doesn’t upset you as such

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

It doesn't.

Crap quality coffee is not great for the belly. Also those nespresso things really do not agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

endacl wrote: »
    Coffee is the most important meal of the day.

Ha! The older I get the more I agree with this sentiment!

Advertisement