Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meat Cooking methods to reduce HCA and PAH consumption

Options
  • 06-09-2019 2:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭

Does anyone know any good alternative cooking methods I could get into the habit of other than grilling? I've been doing a lot of grilling lately. It's good to watch that fat drip off your steak, but leaving something at 200 degrees for that long could form some harmful nasty chemicals.

I always turn the oven to 200 degrees. If I'm going to continue to cook at this temperature I should try and turn off the oven a lot earlier. Or else I should cook at a lower temp. And what can you do for stir fry instead?

If you don't know what HCAs and PAHs are then feel free to look them up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

Does anyone know any good alternative cooking methods I could get into the habit of other than grilling? I've been doing a lot of grilling lately. It's good to watch that fat drip off your steak, but leaving something at 200 degrees for that long could form some harmful nasty chemicals.

I always turn the oven to 200 degrees. If I'm going to continue to cook at this temperature I should try and turn off the oven a lot earlier. Or else I should cook at a lower temp. And what can you do for stir fry instead?

If you don't know what HCAs and PAHs are then feel free to look them up.

I dry fry steak and then add some water to prevent sticking. A lot of foods can be dry fried

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

2 fast wrote: »
    I dry fry steak and then add some water to prevent sticking. A lot of foods can be dry fried
    That's all well and good if it's the oil that you're worried about. But that has no effect on the temperature, does it?

Or does the oil have an effect on HCA and PAH molecules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Steam/ poach / bake instead.
    Don’t burn or char your meat every time.
    Don’t eat meat every day.

Steam/ poach / bake instead.
    Don’t burn or char your meat every time.
    Don’t eat meat every day.
    I don't agree with the last one. It implies that meat is bad for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It implies that limiting your exposure to HCA and PAH from cooking meat might be a good idea.

Frequent turning of the meat will limit formation of both on the meat

As an aside, the bigger source of PAH that you're exposed to is in the air because we like to burn solid fuel and drive cars

• Advertisement

It implies that limiting your exposure to HCA and PAH from cooking meat might be a good idea.

Frequent turning of the meat will limit formation of both on the meat
    Yeah I heard that. It makes me think though. You can cook the meat as much while also forming less HCAs and PAHs! Interesting. I wonder could someone be able to tell based on looking at a grilled steak, if it had been turned frequently or not during its cooking.
    As an aside, the bigger source of PAH that you're exposed to is in the air because we like to burn solid fuel and drive cars
    But with the meat you're actually eating it.

But with the meat you're actually eating it.

Presumably since you're eating the meat. Airborne particles you breathe.

The dose makes the poison.

Presumably since you're eating the meat. Airborne particles you breathe.

The dose makes the poison.
    Yeah I presume the leaner the meat the less PAHs. The PHAs form when the the fat drips as far as I know.

Yeah I presume the leaner the meat the less PAHs. The PHAs form when the the fat drips as far as I know.

It's the smoke that combustion of fat dripping from meat generates. More relevant for grilling over an open flame

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cooking meat in an oven 200 degrees doesn't mean the meat's temperature measures 200 degrees. It's much much lower than that. Chicked is done at 70 degrees. Beef even lower.

HCA and PAH forming when drilling, refers to what american's call a grill. Cooking over an open heat like a barbeque. Oils drips down and burn, tainting the food. That doesn't happen with an oven type grill (a broiler in americans)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

People in the longest lived regions of the earth dont eat meat everyday. So thats what I look to rather than opinions. Most research says to eat modest portions of meat a couple times a week.

Anyway OP, steaming and boiling, or any form of cooking in a liquid is the healthiest way to cook meats. Apparently, marinading meats in an acidic juice like vinegar or lemon juice also helps to stop the formation of carcinogenic compounds.

Advertisement