Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent study shows gluten doesn't cause gastrointestinal issues in healthy people

Options
  • 27-08-2019 8:53am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Thought this was an interested study given the rise in popularity of gluten free diets.

I organise events that requires catering for 100+ people and when you ask for dietary requirements you do get some interesting responses. I often feel that the prevalence of folks desiring a gluten free diet who are not celiac has caused greater risk to people who are. Ironically it’s often this with genuine dietary requirements are often the most transparent and clear about what they need.

What are your views?

https://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(19)40896-2/fulltext?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Gluten was in all the cakes and sweets. This caused people to lose weight from cutting out gluten. It also solved there battered intestines from not eating so much crap. Then the evil sugar addicts found a way around the diet like they always do. They just made gluten free cakes. Nice tasting ones.

Great for the genuine celiacs, now they have nice tasting cakes. The sugar addicts will move on to the next fad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Some people react poorly to FODMAPs, and experience some degreee of IBS because of it. If you react badly to the type of FODMAPs in wheat, then cutting it out will improve symptoms. It can be effective for reasons completely different to those expressed by the individual.

They think gluten is the issue, and lo and behold, cutting it out helps. Like, why do you think this one specific protein in a food composed of thousands of different molecules is the culprit?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't know for sure but suspect that there are preservatives or flour improvers being used in a lot of wheat based products that are causing problems for people. And that they have become more common in recent years when previously they weren't used. I know that certain bread/cake products make me feel unwell. I get pain within a short time of eating them, bad uncomfortable bloating followed by a day or two of painful constipation. This is especially common with most, but not all, "long" life breads/cakes but sometimes even fresh breads cause irritations. I also find pasta and noodles cause pain and constipation. The problem clearly isn't gluten because I don't have problems with all breads, biscuits, cakes, etc. But there is something in wheat based foods that is causing me problems and the number of foods that cause these issues is increasing. Eg, some brands of stoneground soda bread have started causing pain when a year ago they didn't.

This makes me wary of wheat products. I'd rather avoid bread or cake if I don't know for sure that it won't cause me pain. I can understand why someone would cut out wheat products completely if they avoided these issues. But I think the problems people are having is coming from some other ingredient. I would never describe myself as gluten intolerant, I'm not. But if I eat out, I avoid pasta/noodles and take it easy with bread. I will take my chances with home baking as that's usually ok. At home I use alternatives like lentil pasta, rice noodles and bake a lot with oats.

• Site Banned Posts: 43 Mangofrozo

Wheat most definitely causes problems in most people, studies have shown that, it may even cause autoimmune diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

faceman wrote: »

I think it's simultaneously bullshít and the best thing since sliced gluten free bread.

My daughter is celiac so she needs to eat a gluten free diet, the current craze for gluten free, has meant the variety and quality of gluten free food is at an all time high, you can get perfectly nice gluten free food in practically every supermarket now. I hope the trend is here to stay.

As for the health benefits of a gluten free diet diet for non celiacs - highly dubious to say the least, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth i say!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I think it's simultaneously bullshít and the best thing since sliced gluten free bread.

My daughter is celiac so she needs to eat a gluten free diet, the current craze for gluten free, has meant the variety and quality of gluten free food is at an all time high, you can get perfectly nice gluten free food in practically every supermarket now. I hope the trend is here to stay.

As for the health benefits of a gluten free diet diet for non celiacs - highly dubious to say the least, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth i say!

As a parent of someone who genuinely celiac, do you find that not all gluten free products on the shelves are celiac friendly as referenced in the journal?

I'm not sure i follow your question, why would gluten free products not be celiac friendly?

To be honest with you, we've been taking taking the gluten free labels as gospel. Are you saying we should not be so trusting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I assume they mean the gluten free ones that have the "may contain gluten" warnings in small print. If you're super sensitive to x contamination they're not safe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

All i can say is on a personal level. Parent is celiac, i have been tested and i supposedly am not. Yet, when i eat breads/wheat i am doubled up in pain.

Bread and all things wheat have been cut from diet, no issues.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I assume they mean the gluten free ones that have the "may contain gluten" warnings in small print. If you're super sensitive to x contamination they're not safe

Oh right, no we treat "may contain gluten" as if it's "now with extra gluten" just to be on the safe side.

It's actually surprising the places you find gluten as an added ingredient, never mind just as a cross contaminant. Frozen chips for example, about 80% of them contain wheat flower.

My daughter was only diagnosed a little over a year ago, before then i wouldn't have paid as much attention (if any sometimes) to the ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

This has been known for a while. The person who put forward the idea of non cardiac intolerance later refuted his own theory and said it was actually FODMAPs not gluten that could cause some people issues.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If I eat certain types of white breads, I will know all about it on the toilet that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,099 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's actually surprising the places you find gluten as an added ingredient, never mind just as a cross contaminant. Frozen chips for example, about 80% of them contain wheat flower.
    Why is that surprising?
    I'd completely expect to see it on the ingredients there, especially with the tread for pubstyle/beer batter frozen chips these days.

I wouldn't describe wheat an ingredient as "added gluten" tbh.
    You'd find added gluten in pizza, pasta, etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh right, no we treat "may contain gluten" as if it's "now with extra gluten" just to be on the safe side.

My daughter was only diagnosed a little over a year ago, before then i wouldn't have paid as much attention (if any sometimes) to the ingredients.

breakfast cereals is the one that killed me. why are you randomly adding barley to everything. just to spite me. lol
    i'd only have a bowl once in a while as a treat but still

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Gluten was never thought to be a problem by anyone with a tiny bit of independent critical thinking.

Mellor wrote: »
    Why is that surprising?
    I'd completely expect to see it on the ingredients there, especially with the tread for pubstyle/beer batter frozen chips these days.

I wouldn't describe wheat an ingredient as "added gluten" tbh.
    You'd find added gluten in pizza, pasta, etc

Of course wheat is added gluten!

Potatoes don't contain gluten. Potatoes coated with wheat flour do.

It just never occurred to me that frozen chips are anything but little chilled strips of potato.

Also as bluewolf said - breakfast cereals. Why do rice crispies for example contain barley? Rice is gluten free, rice crispies are not. Corn is gluten free, corn flakes are not. Oats are gluten free, porridge is not.

These are just little things that surprised me when i started paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Of course wheat is added gluten!

Potatoes don't contain gluten. Potatoes coated with wheat flour do.

It just never occurred to me that frozen chips are anything but little chilled strips of potato.

Also as bluewolf said - breakfast cereals. Why do rice crispies for example contain barley? Rice is gluten free, rice crispies are not. Corn is gluten free, corn flakes are not. Oats are gluten free, porridge is not.

These are just little things that surprised me when i started paying attention.

Isn't the problem with most porridge that they are prepared in factories that also contain gluten. So the level of gluten is low but not guaranteed to be below the threshold to declare gluten free.

That's it in a nutshell.

I often wonder if the "may contain gluten" is just extreme arse covering by the manufacturer, she could probably eat half of may contain gluten products, but there's no way of knowing for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Mangofrozo wrote: »
    Wheat most definitely causes problems in most people, studies have shown that, it may even cause autoimmune diseases.

Could you please post these studies then? Ive never met a nutritionist or doctor who advised me not to eat whole grain gluten products, given that Im not coeliac

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

faceman wrote: »
    Thought this was an interested study given the rise in popularity of gluten free diets.

I organise events that requires catering for 100+ people and when you ask for dietary requirements you do get some interesting responses. I often feel that the prevalence of folks desiring a gluten free diet who are not celiac has caused greater risk to people who are. Ironically it’s often this with genuine dietary requirements are often the most transparent and clear about what they need.

What are your views?

https://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(19)40896-2/fulltext?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

The most interesting response I got when asking about dietary requirements for an event was "substantial" :pac:

My view is that the recent surge of non-coeliacs wanting to eat gluten-free is good for coeliacs. My wife struggled for years to get somewhat edible gluten-free foods but these days it's great because there's a fantastic choice of good gluten-free foods. You still have to be careful though -- recently I went into a pizza takeaway that was advertising gluten-free pizzas and I asked if they are suitable for coeliacs. I was told that they are not suitable because due to the nature of the kitchen and oven some contamination is guaranteed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement