Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mondeo v Kuga value

Options
  • 22-08-2019 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I had a previous thread on Ford Rangers but having looked at them I can't justify a 4x4 when a Kuga in reality would suffice.

I'm currently driving a 15 Mondeo for work which involves site trips and am afraid that I will tear the arse out of it before too long if I keep it.

I'm thinking of a 161/162 Kuga and have driven a few and I like them. I'm in to minds as to what to do. I only have the Mondeo 1 year with 4 years finance left on it. I've been offered a trade in with the dealer I got the Mondeo off, refinance over 5 years with a small deposit to make up the difference, keeping the repayments the same.

My question is simple and i probably know the answer, in 4 years which car is going to be worth more? I absolutely love the Mondeo and am in 2 minds as what would be the best for me long term.

Also whats the 2.0 120bhp Kuga like, I've only test drove the 150 bhp ones which has the same power as my Mondeo
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Kuga is end of life at this stage. There was a new model previewed earlier this year.
    They’ll be throwing artificial discount into your trade in value to make a sale. They were heavily discounting them last year.
    I wouldn’t have a Mondeo or a Kuga as a 192 model as both are also-rans. The market is moving away from traditional cars like the Mondeo and shifting to crossovers.
    I’d pick a different crossover though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The market is moving away from traditional cars like the Mondeo and shifting to crossovers.

But "the market" is just fashion and cars are actually better than crossovers.

That as may be, but the appetite for non-German premium saloons for example is almost non existent. The working mans coupe died a death in the 90s, the small non-premium saloon is dead. the 3 door hatchback is almost extinct, the crossover has been growing in popularity since the late 90s, RAV4s were the thing in the early to mid 00s, the oldest Qashqai are 12 years old now. Whether they’re better or worse, that’s what’s selling, and the traditional car is losing more and more market share. There are more and more sub-segments of crossover being introduced to replace the cars they’re based on. Crossovers are more profitable for manufacturers so they’ll continue to push them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

So cars are better value 2nd hand.

They’re cheaper, yes.
    That’s why I bought an estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fords depreciate heavily at the best of times due to the discounting dealers offer on them regularly but your buying either of two models now that are coming to the end of their lice cycle so depreciation won't be any kinder to them in 4 years time. As said the Kuga is being replaced by an all new model in early 2020 and the Mondeo is getting it's final facelift now before it gets killed off at the end of 2020 and it looks like it will not be replaced due to dwindling demand for traditional saloon cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If unaware Mondeo is possible for the chop in 2020 ... Everyone is changing to SUV type and similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

yeah was aware of the end of the mondeo, a shame as they are a cracking car. I know the Kuga is also due a facelift, but not a chance I'll be buying new to use for work, it will get wrecked quickly as I work in construction.
    Probably best not to worry about value in 4 years, as it will be little for both by the sounds of things. I just love Fords, and am on my 4th at the minute and very happy with what I've had to date. 02 Focus/06 Mondeo/11 Mondeo/15 Mondeo.
    Ideal world, Ranger Wildtrack, realistic world either keep the mondy or get a Kuga, I'd be happy enough in both, just afraid of tearing the arse off the mondeo!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yes, have to agree with most of the comments here

Had a Pathfinder that was dying a death earlier this year and had to move it on. Changed for a 15D Kuga and happy put with that. Use it for commercial with my work and its fine

Mondeo is old hat at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

You should be able to get good value in either of these with the models coming to their end, if its what you want who gives a ****e if they are old hat/no longer in fashion/being phased out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The suv market is highly competitive and the kuga is nothing special in that market. But its still a good solid car and if you like it that's all that matters.

It's an opportunity to drive a hard bargain. Shop around and get prices from several dealers and see if they will beat.

Every new car is old hat once its driven out the showroom, the next face-lift or revision or new model is only ever a few years away.

just an update, probably going to stick with what i have.

Been offered €10k as a trade on the Mondeo which shocked me. It's only 4 years old and was circa €35k new, it was €20k last year. 100k km on it. Dealer rode me altogether, my own fault. Live and learn.

Do they really nosedive that quickly? I'll keep it and drive it into the ground if that's the case as in 4 years it will be worthless more or less!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it a current shape Mondeo? Did you try a different dealer? What was the price of the car you were trading in against?

Put it up yourself and see what you could get trading in will destroy you.

Do up a really good ad and put in inspection welcome in likes of a reputable mechanic garage and also if taking payment I'd suggest meeting in bank while they get cash or bank draft but as said be there when getting one.

I've done the above and just explained and people had no issues as it's a lot of money.

Obviously you will have to come in a little less then a dealer but keep the ad honest.

Don’t know why you’d buy another Ford given the value the dealer is putting on one.

Is it an estate mondeo? What spec?

Exact same car as the one in the add below only in manual:

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/mondeo/fpa/201908231470001?SOURCE_ID=SOURCE_ID_FPA_FROM_FEAT_LIST

I'm thinking a private sale price of €13.5k would be a good place to start with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I’ve a 162 Kuga (120BHP) 2L and I love it. I had 4 big lads in it and myself down to Cork and back this week and it was still flying along. My mum has a 2011 one and it’s still rock solid.

All cars depreciate if you want one go for it! Mine has never let me down and I would highly recommend it it’s very comfortable and economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yep, spot on. I bought a 15D one with a VAT invoice back in June and very happy with it. Good solid motor

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/mondeo/fpa/201908231470001?SOURCE_ID=SOURCE_ID_FPA_FROM_FEAT_LIST

I'm thinking a private sale price of €13.5k would be a good place to start with it.

Be prepared for silly offers but put it up and see. You don't have to sell if it's not making what you would like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Kind of sad to see how pathetic Ford have made the Mondeo these days. They could hardly make it less desirable and off point if they tried. Was a very well regarded nameplate once upon a time. They must be huge giving huge discounts to sell any of them

Everyone wants SUV style so I can see it disappearing.

road_high wrote: »
    Kind of sad to see how pathetic Ford have made the Mondeo these days. They could hardly make it less desirable and off point if they tried. Was a very well regarded nameplate once upon a time. They must be huge giving huge discounts to sell any of them

If they’re offering €10k for the OPs car and giving discounts, imagine how cheap they’re actually getting his car for.

Everyone wants SUV style so I can see it disappearing.

Yep. Kuga is effectively replacing it. What am I missing with all these small SUV crossover things? I just can’t get into them and prefer the drive, looks and economy of a trad saloon or hatchback. Lot of them don’t appear especially well packaged or spacious for the size

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If they’re offering €10k for the OPs car and giving discounts, imagine how cheap they’re actually getting his car for.

You mean from the manufacturer? I can’t imagine it’s particularly profitable for Ford

Yep. Kuga is effectively replacing it. What am I missing with all these small SUV crossover things? I just can’t get into them and prefer the drive, looks and economy of a trad saloon or hatchback. Lot of them don’t appear especially well packaged or spacious for the size

Everyone wants the height as you can see more and they give the impression they're bigger then they are....

So many different types and styles....

Some are terribly bad at driving and others are absolutely comfort buses.

Everyone wants the height as you can see more and they give the impression they're bigger then they are....

So many different types and styles....

Some are terribly bad at driving and others are absolutely comfort buses.

I can understand you need the extra height if towing and off roading. On a motorway or normal road I don’t get it but sure each to their own I guess

You mean from the manufacturer? I can’t imagine it’s particularly profitable for Ford

If the dealer can give extra discount off the Kuga vs the list price, then they have more margin, this margin is usually used to top up the value of the trade in. Dealer might be offering €10k and getting the car for 7

Getting that kind of money in a private sale is hard work. Very few want to hand that kind of cash over with no comeback, or can afford to.

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Getting that kind of money in a private sale is hard work. Very few want to hand that kind of cash over with no comeback, or can afford to.

And not for a Mondeo anyhow which are two a penny and not desirable

Advertisement