Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a Vitamin D supplement

Options
  • 22-08-2019 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

There are a lot of different brands and types of Vitamin D supplements. From what I can gather Vitamin D3 is best.

Can anyone recommend a type/ brand and where to buy?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DefineSD

Hey Stocks,

Check our MyProtein and Bulkpowders - These will give you loads for the amount you can get and often way better priced than local.

Alternatively, spend some time in the sun over the next few days to really stock up on the Vitamin D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think only GPs really know what brands are best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think only GPs really know what brands are best.

I doubt GPs know all the brands that are available much less the content of D3, for example, in them. They might have a recommendation from previous experience.

I doubt GPs know all the brands that are available much less the content of D3, for example, in them. They might have a recommendation from previous experience.
    I think they have to have them listed no?

My gp usually has an updated list of products every month online ..i think gps pay a subscription to some site.

Anyway ...if you really need it they can give you prescription strength vit d etc.

I have always found my gps advice on supplements and vitamins more than adequate. I just ask on whenever my next visit it.

They might not know about pre workouts gels etc though

I think they have to have them listed no?

My gp usually has an updated list of products every month online ..i think gps pay a subscription to some site.

Anyway ...if you really need it they can give you prescription strength vit d etc.

I have always found my gps advice on supplements and vitamins more than adequate. I just ask on whenever my next visit it.

They might not know about pre workouts gels etc though

Having a list and being familiar with what's on the list are separate things. I wouldn't expect a GP to know all the brand's or be able to differentiate. Prescription-level brands, perhaps.
    Letting someone know what to look for in a brand would be more than enough anyway.

• Advertisement

Having a list and being familiar with what's on the list are separate things. I wouldn't expect a GP to know all the brand's or be able to differentiate. Prescription-level brands, perhaps.
    Letting someone know what to look for in a brand would be more than enough anyway.

I would say this is incorrect.

https://www.gponline.com/gps-urged-increase-vitamin-d-supplement-prescribing/nutrition/nutrition/article/1293910

Best thing is to ask a GP is this part of their medical education or can you take advice from a lay person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I would say this is incorrect.

https://www.gponline.com/gps-urged-increase-vitamin-d-supplement-prescribing/nutrition/nutrition/article/1293910

Best thing is to ask a GP is this part of their medical education or can you take advice from a lay person.

What has that article got to do with what you’re saying?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What has that article got to do with what you’re saying?

I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

It displays that Drs do consider vitamins and supplements to be within their remit only.

In fact i think most vitamin companies have a disclaimer ..consult your Doctor before taking vitamins etc.

• Advertisement

The link doesn't make what I said incorrect.

The link says there is a lack of awareness amongst healthcare professionals about vitamin D. It doesn't say anything about knowing all brands of the levels of vitamin D in every brand.

I said I don't expect them to know all the brands nor would I expect them to be able to differentiate between all the brands but that advising on what to look for in a Vitamin D supplement.

I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

It displays that Drs do consider vitamins and supplements to be within their remit only.

No. It displays that doctors don't have the requisite awareness on vitamin D supplementation to advise patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I can recommend going outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I can recommend going outside.

Not really good enough if you’re in Ireland (even during the current good spell).

bladespin wrote: »
    Not really good enough if you’re in Ireland (even during the current good spell).

Just eat properly then. Shouldn't food provide you with that? I think one should aim to have a correct diet instead of taking 10 pills a day.

When I eat I think of what I choose in terms of nutrition, not feeling full. Malnutrition is not specific to 3rd world countries. Lots of 1st world people are malnourished because they cheap supermarket food.

You might have heard of soldiers eating only rabbit and going blind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

bladespin wrote: »

Also not good enough if you have a condition that can lead to poor absorption. My doctor put me on these THORENS 25 000 I.U. /2.5 ml oral solution. In terms of D3 (colecalciferol) each 2.5ml bottle has a dose of 0.625mg. They taste vile but hopefully doing the trick. Will know after a blood test in about 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I just buy on eBay. Last lot I got in Feb were £7.20 for 240 5000 iu of D3.

But with the amount of sunshine outside these days, there should be no need to be taking a supplement at the moment. Just go outside and expose some pasty white flesh to the rays.

cnocbui wrote: »

But with the amount of sunshine outside these days, there should be no need to be taking a supplement at the moment. Just go outside and expose some pasty white flesh to the rays.

I think part of the problem is that people overuse sun screen. Instead of using it sparingly on the neck, nose, cheeks they lube up like a Hollywood stunt driver about to be set on fire.

cnocbui wrote: »

It's one thing to be diagnose, another to pop pills because you think you have some deficiency.

Also before considering supplementing with tablets I think one should try eating correctly which is something nobody does in Ireland. This is why babies are born with broken spines and every one is small like medieval people.

I got a blood test in process of trying to figure out my skin alergies and the doctor told me everything is fine apart from vitamin D deficiency. He said to eat more dairy or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think part of the problem is that people overuse sun screen. Instead of using it sparingly on the neck, nose, cheeks they lube up like a Hollywood stunt driver about to be set on fire.

I think the problem is that Ireland is at about the same latitude as Hudson Bay in Canada, where polar bears roam, and that the country doesn't get enough sunlight - period - hence most people being Vit. D deficient. Around 1100 hours of direct sunlight in a given year. Yes i know all about UV penetrating clouds, but it's only some that gets through, and I am too much of a woos to be parading around outside in just a pair of shorts when it's 10° with a 20 kph wind chill.

Stuff diet, the best way to get some is to make your own while the sun shines and take supplements in the months when it doesn't. You are welcome to try and get enough via your diet, I'll just stick with the supplements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Sun

No. It displays that doctors don't have the requisite awareness on vitamin D supplementation to advise patients.

Every single company that makes vitamins and supplements will stipulate you ask your Dr first i guarantee you.

Every single company that makes vitamins and supplements will stipulate you ask your Dr first i guarantee you.

Apart from the fact that that is incorrect, it has nothing to do with the point you were making, which was that all GPs will know all brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

In response to some of the comments here...

As someone who had a good diet (lots of vitamin D rich foods) and spent plenty of time outdoors, I had a blood test for vitamin D a few years ago and was found to have low levels. After a couple of years of taking a vitamin D3 supplement, I had a series of blood tests (part of a medical) and my levels of vitamin D were so good that the doctor commented on how surprised he was...given what would be typically expected.

So from my experience, a good diet and outdoors/sun exposure is not enough.

It's also important to remember that vitamin D doesn't work in isolation and its absorption/uptake can be limited by an absence of other vitamins and minerals like vitamin K, magnesium etc.

Advertisement