Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we have such stupid names

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    I'm not sure whay you're trying to mean here. Brazil speaks Portuguese because they were conquered by Portugal and they accept that. Most South America countries speak Spanish and they accept that they have been conquered unlike Irish who were also conquered and now speak English as a result of conquest but still want to maintain their tiny bit of pride by using Irish terms. But it's failing

Please revoke your British citizenship, we have enough gobsh/tes of our own without having to import even thicker ones like yourself.

1/100 for effort by the way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Irish is a dead language.
    We should really drop it completely at this point.

Oh, edgy and original. A big bualadh bos for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Oh, edgy and original. A big bualadh bos for you.

Why thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Google French police and what does it say on the back. Oh police, instant fail and it is where I have stopped reading oh what about Netherlands?
    Oh yes politia, wow!
    Poland policja really?
    Romania politia really?

Basically, you just made this list up and if you do the most simple Google search, you will find that their main police force is just a variation of police in their own language. Police is an international term, Garda is not.

You can actually also call the Irish police the police. The name of the Irish police force is the Gardai, the name of the Italian police is the carbonari.

Etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You can actually also call the Irish police the police. The name of the Irish police force is the Gardai, the name of the Italian police is the carbonari.

Etc etc etc

I think thats a pasta dude
    Carabinieri?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Ireland = Garda
    99% of the rest of the world = Police/Polizei/Polis etc

Ireland = taoiseach
    Rest of the world = prime minister

Oh look at us we are so cultured, we have Irish names for our positions even though barely anyone speaks Irish in Ireland. What a joke this is. Everyone should be speaking Irish just like people speak French in France and German in Germany, you don't go to France and expect everyone to speak English. If you care so much about Irish language then why everything is not changed to Irish only. For start: government texts, constitution, laws, etc.

Typical Irish opinion

We should really drop it completely at this point.

I hear that a lot on the internet but never in real life or from politicians, wannabe politicans or anybody really.

To start the movement you need to leave the basement.

• Advertisement

I think thats a pasta dude
    Carabinieri?

Sssh. Get off that pedal stool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sssh. Get off that pedal stool.

U is wiv de angles now grammar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

If Irish was dead, zero people would speak it. I get people not enjoying the school curriculum (and I think it's ludicrous that it's mandatory for leaving cert - along with all the other subjects that are mandatory; I think leaving cert subjects should be entirely elective) and I know some fluent Irish speakers can be so precious and demanding. But I fully support it being spoken by those who wish to, and things like sign posts for place names. I like knowing where they have come from. Some things are translated into Irish on signs etc though, which really don't need to be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm a polyglot and I just came here to say, what are you on about OP? Languages are part and parcel of our lives. How hard is to remember that Garda means police or an Taoiseach is the prime minister?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Don't forget Britain has loads of official names

Rozzers
    Filth
    Pigs
    Fuzz
    Copper
    Plod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

welcome to how to get on my ignore list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Don't, I changed my citizenship to British one. Proud British now, we ruled half of the world at one point. And Ireland? Dying of famine from eating too many potatoes

You couldn't have a picked a better time, congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

stoneill wrote: »
    Don't forget Britain has loads of official names

Rozzers
    Filth
    Pigs
    Fuzz
    Copper
    Plod

Peeler's

You couldn't have a picked a better time, congratulations.

Also he didn't do that. Because you can't. Not without living there for a 5 year period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Also he didn't do that. Because you can't. Not without living there for a 5 year period.
    And if he's "Proud British now" as he claims, why would would he start a thread called "Why do we have such stupid names"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Brits Out

Always scooping up the big Euromillions jackpots :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

How are the words Garda and Taoiseach stupid? Though the latter will soon probably be renamed Viceroy on behalf of our EU masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

DS86DS wrote: »
    How are the words Garda and Taoiseach stupid? Though the latter will soon probably be renamed Viceroy on behalf of our EU masters.

In local news, the UntermenschIslanderMarrionetterFuhrer announced today...

Advertisement