Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we have such stupid names

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

This thread is hilarious.

Although, I don't think anyone would be laughing at a mentally ill person picking fights with strangers in real life.

Still though... *gets the popcorn ready*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    By sticking your mouth in it and performing a ****e bj manoeuvr

Since you seem to know it all, you show us how it's done so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Where did you get the 99% figure from, Pretz?

As mentioned, there is la Guardia Civil for police, and also the Gendarmerie in France. "Police" is a generic term and some countries give them a title.

English isn't the only language so naturally those of non English speaking countries don't refer to their head of state as the prime minister. I know we do speak English primarily here but we have a second national language also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

Where did you get the 99% figure from, Pretz?

As mentioned, there is la Guardia Civil for police, and also the Gendarmerie in France. "Police" is a generic term and some countries give them a title.

English isn't the only language so naturally those of non English speaking countries don't refer to their head of state as the prime minister. I know we do speak English primarily here but we have a second national language also.

Gendarmerie is not same as civil police, argument immediately failed. France have civilian police which is not named gendarmerie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't care what Police or Prime Minister are called as long as they do what they're supposed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

And I thought the thread with someone calling for national protests because they had to carry their drivers license with them was the dumbest thing I was going to see on here today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Gendarmerie is not same as civil police, argument immediately failed. France have civilian police which is not named gendarmerie
    My mistake.

That one part does of course indeed mean that all of my other points fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Its just a word

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Q, How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman

A, None

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ireland = Garda
    99% of the rest of the world = Police/Polizei/Polis etc

Ireland = taoiseach
    Rest of the world = prime minister

Oh look at us we are so cultured, we have Irish names for our positions even though barely anyone speaks Irish in Ireland. What a joke this is. Everyone should be speaking Irish just like people speak French in France and German in Germany, you don't go to France and expect everyone to speak English. If you care so much about Irish language then why everything is not changed to Irish only. For start: government texts, constitution, laws, etc.

Because your argument/opinion is so utterly daft, I have taken the time to list all the countries in Europe where the Police are not called the Police:

Belarus: Belarusian Militsiya
    France: Gendarmerie Nationale
    Ireland: Garda Siochana
    Italy: Carabinieri
    Kazakhstan: Kazak Militsiya
    The Netherlands: Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Constabulary)
    Norway: Politidirektoratet
    Poland:Policja
    Portugal: Guarda Nacional Republicana
    Romania: Poliţia
    San Marino: Gendarmeria
    Serbia:Gendarmery
    Spain: Guardia Civil
    Vatican: Corpo della Gendarmeria & Swiss Guard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

lol happy you got that out of your system? I dont see the big deal at all

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Guardia Civil in Spain and the Gendarmerie Nationale of France are equivalent - they are military organizations that police rural areas with jurisdiction over highways and ports. The Spanish Policia Nacional and French Police Nationale are more like what we here would recognize as a true civilian police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We have the Airport Police, or joeys as guards call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Following your train of thought Pretzeluck - we should all revert to the even MORE widely used language in the world... Mandarin Chinese.

Āng zāng de yīngyǔ zhū

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Imagine being so ignorant that you have a problem with different countries having their own language.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Don't get me started on the Pineapple / Ananis thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

OP sounds like an Eastern European.

Probably one of those lads that got busted selling and taking steroids on that RTÉ documentary last night.

His roid rage is kicking in about been exposed for that as well as his tiny little steroid willy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Ireland = Garda.

NNNNNNNNNGOOOORRRRTHHHEEEEEEEEEEE

Don't care what Police or Prime Minister are called as long as they do what they're supposed to do.

yeah, about that.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Because your argument/opinion is so utterly daft, I have taken the time to list all the countries in Europe where the Police are not called the Police:

Most of those are equivalents of the French Gendarmerie i.e. national, militarised police forces as opposed to civil police forces that are often organised on a more local level.

Specifically the Dutch police are just called Politie, that's it. https://www.politie.nl/

The Koninklijke Marechaussee is actually a branch of the Dutch military that amongst other things is responsible for border controls. https://www.defensie.nl/organisatie/marechaussee

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't, I changed my citizenship to British one. Proud British now, we ruled half of the world at one point. And Ireland? Dying of famine from eating too many potatoes

They died from not eating any potatoes surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely those 2 count as variations or direct translations of "police".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

A lad I knew years ago thought they spoke Brasilian in Brasil, Mexican in Mexico. His logic was, "sure they speak French in France, and German in Germany"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The most effectively veiled Irish language bashing thread AH has seen in a while.

Google French police and what does it say on the back. Oh police, instant fail and it is where I have stopped reading oh what about Netherlands?
    Oh yes politia, wow!
    Poland policja really?
    Romania politia really?

Basically, you just made this list up and if you do the most simple Google search, you will find that their main police force is just a variation of police in their own language. Police is an international term, Garda is not.

jimgoose wrote: »
    The Guardia Civil in Spain and the Gendarmerie Nationale of France are equivalent - they are military organizations that police rural areas with jurisdiction over highways and ports. The Spanish Policia Nacional and French Police Nationale are more like what we here would recognize as a true civilian police force.

No they're not the same

Lux23 wrote: »
    Imagine being so ignorant that you have a problem with different countries having their own language.

Showing high levels of intelligence here. Did you read another thread then came here to respond with something completely irrelevant.

OP sounds like an Eastern European.

Probably one of those lads that got busted selling and taking steroids on that RTÉ documentary last night.

His roid rage is kicking in about been exposed for that as well as his tiny little steroid willy.

I want to have a link for that documentary

• Advertisement

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    A lad I knew years ago thought they spoke Brasilian in Brasil, Mexican in Mexico. His logic was, "sure they speak French in France, and German in Germany"

I'm not sure whay you're trying to mean here. Brazil speaks Portuguese because they were conquered by Portugal and they accept that. Most South America countries speak Spanish and they accept that they have been conquered unlike Irish who were also conquered and now speak English as a result of conquest but still want to maintain their tiny bit of pride by using Irish terms. But it's failing

Advertisement