Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's not April 1st is it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I use a mixture of Dublin Bus, LUAS and Irish Rail commuter services each week and think the overall service to be satisfactory. It is also much improved over the last year, and constantly improving.

The LUAS CC opening being a poorly planned and unready disaster notwithstanding, the overall trend is positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Billy86 wrote: »
    Funny enough when the post above yours showed the low number of people being polled per day I almost posted that they waited for people getting off the 46A or 145 in the afternoon, e.g. outside of rush hour.

"So how was your sub-90 second wait for the two routes that each seems to have more buses servicing them than the rest of the city combined? Satisfactory? Wonder, tick the green box Johno we've got another!!"

Since the 15B/74A/whatever starts only 2-3 stops before Nassau St I used to go there after work to wait for it (this was before the realtime stuff so knowing when it was set to leave helped a bit, in theory anyway) and I can't tell you how irrationally under my skin it got to see what felt like 6-8 of them pass if I were waiting for 20-30 minutes on my own. As if the DART, Luas and other routes weren't enough! :p

But the truth is all DB routes should to the same standard as the 46a or the 145. If it were me it wouldn't get under my skin it would make me why aren't there as many 15s as 46as or 145s.

I recently used to 40 and the 140 when I was working out in Finglas and I found them to be good services too mind you. I also used the 83 also but this took a lot longer and was less frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

ED E wrote: »
    Loads of DB stops have it (nearly all??). All trains + DB + Luas = only BE draining the stats.

Not outside the City Center they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

More than that in 2018:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Stephen15 wrote: »
    But the truth is all DB routes should to the same standard as the 46a or the 145. If it were me it wouldn't get under my skin it would make me why aren't there as many 15s as 46as or 145s.

I recently used to 40 and the 140 when I was working out in Finglas and I found them to be good services too mind you. I also used the 83 also but this took a lot longer and was less frequent.
    To be honest, the biggest thing for me in public transport is reliability. Frequently being left waiting for over a half hour when the live update says around 2-4 minutes, or waiting an hour and a half for a bus only for four to come by all in working order with passengers and then come back down together all out of order, or frequently having to get a taxi in rush hour for work or to college because the bus is late... that's a huge negative. Especially when I'm watching 46A after 145 after 46A pass me by with them being mostly empty for how frequent they are (on top of having the LUAS, and the DART), only to see passengers in most other buses squeezed in like sardines in a can before the bus has gone even a few stops, because people have been left waiting so long on it.

It would be nice if they all ran to that standard, but the truth is they don't.

I find the upkeep or buses and (generally) the attitude of drivers to be decent for the most part and wouldn't have many complaints there, but the logistical side of it is an absolute disaster both in terms of route planning, and for other issues (like there being stops every 100m or so very often, which is utterly needless and slow everything down - traffic outside of the bus itself included).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The real point that people have missed is that the survey was confined to those who use public transport.

About 40 % of the population do not use it unless they have no alternative, and only rarely. These people votewith their feet - or their car wheels.

A functioning city needs a good public transport system to get people out of their cars, so that the city can run smoothly like a well-oiled machine.

Dublin does not have a good service, hence the streets jammed with taxis, delivery vehicles and private cars, a third world level of efficiency, in a city that has become a mere plaything of the property speculators, rather than a home fit for proud citizens.

Garret Fitzgerald predicted that a cross city tramway would not work running on the streets. The last month has proved him right.

A heavy rail network of high capacity trains and Luas underground should have been developed over the last forty years.
    That we have not done so is testimony to our toleration of gombeenism, and the "I'm all right Jack" mentality.

Sooner or later, the Irish people have to cop on and spend wisely on their capital, without which the whole nation cannot function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Billy86 wrote: »
    To be honest, the biggest thing for me in public transport is reliability. Frequently being left waiting for over a half hour when the live update says around 2-4 minutes, or waiting an hour and a half for a bus only for four to come by all in working order with passengers and then come back down together all out of order, or frequently having to get a taxi in rush hour for work or to college because the bus is late... that's a huge negative. Especially when I'm watching 46A after 145 after 46A pass me by with them being mostly empty for how frequent they are (on top of having the LUAS, and the DART), only to see passengers in most other buses squeezed in like sardines in a can before the bus has gone even a few stops, because people have been left waiting so long on it.

That's nonsense the 46a and the 145 are usually fairly busy even off peak. The 46a and the 145 also serve a completely different area to the DART and the Luas. Stop being jealous of other routes just because one or two bus route are very reliable and efficent doesn't we should cut them rather they should look at why some routes are more efficient reliable than others and look to replicate their efficiency on other routes. The 46a and 145 are usually packed at rush hour aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Stephen15 wrote: »
    That's nonsense the 46a and the 145 are usually fairly busy even off peak. The 46a and the 145 also serve a completely different area to the DART and the Luas. Stop being jealous of other routes just because one or two bus route are very reliable and efficent doesn't we should cut them rather they should look at why some routes are more efficient reliable than others and look to replicate their efficiency on other routes. The 46a and 145 are usually packed at rush hour aswell.
    The reason they are more efficient is that there are so bloody much of them at the expense of other routes, that's the point.

First, I have frequently seen the 46A and 145 half empty in the middle of rush hour (once the immediate 5-5.15pm rush is over), which likely has something to do with one coming every 4 minutes on average, and their routes being almost identical for the majority of their runs, the whole way from O'Connell Bridge to Cournelscourt they might as well be the same bus (see attachment). Four buses in a row come and you'll be on the fifth right around 20 minutes from arriving at the stop... probably less than the average wait between most other routes in the city even without any out of service or delays. And even that is only if you happen to not be on the Luas or DART line. For others not only is the Luas not necessarily an option, nor is the Dart necessarily one either, but rather than 20 minutes you can be waiting well over an hour easily.

Secondly, they each pass through where the Luas and DART do near the end of their runs. The Luas comes on average every 5 minutes of the day and on top of that the DART (which does run on a different route to the other three until the end but has the 7 and 7A every 15 mins to further accommodate it) itself runs every 10-15 minutes.

---

Then there is the fact that this is compounded by inexplicably close numbers of bus stops on most routes (again, see attachment). My personal favourite one is by Rathfarnham village where I have counted exactly 11 seconds between the engine revving up to leave one bus stop, and the bus coming to a complete halt at the next... that's a problem on almost all routes that I've been on too, it's not unique to just one or two. It's a waste of fuel stopping/starting, it slows down the bus route a lot, and it slows down traffic around it which just further compounds the problem. To me that's the easiest fix of all that they simple don't seem to have been arsed making for whatever reason.

Advertisement