Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind and Rain Warnings : Sat 10-2-18

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Wind has really picked up here in last twenty minutes, lights flickering, North Cork/South Limerick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Where did it get the strong gust at Belmullet? The highest I make it for there is 27 knots.

Computer graphic gone a bit wonky, highest gust in Bellmullet 25 km/h since early morning.

UTKETuQ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Wind really picked up last 10 mins in swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Absolutely howling here in Dublin 16 at the moment. Really feels as bad as Ophelia. Banging and creaking in the rafters in quite an alarming way.

As an aside, I have been monitoring ventusky during every storm so far this year. On each occasion, the area between Tallaght and Sandyford (of which D16 is smack in the middle of) always comes in for the strongest gales, much stronger than north Dublin and other areas of Leinster. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to meteorology. Would anyone be kind enough to enlighten me as to why that is?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy in Tralee now gusting near 70 km/h, 10 min avg 32 km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

mangobob wrote: »
    Absolutely howling here in Dublin 16 at the moment. Really feels as bad as Ophelia. Banging and creaking in the rafters in quite an alarming way.

As an aside, I have been monitoring ventusky during every storm so far this year. On each occasion, the area between Tallaght and Sandyford (of which D16 is smack in the middle of) always comes in for the strongest gales, much stronger than north Dublin and other areas of Leinster. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to meteorology. Would anyone be kind enough to enlighten me as to why that is?

We do get relatively strong winds in the area if the wind is SWerly. I'm almost sure it's due to the Wicklow mountains deflecting the wind around them causing an area of higher windspeed on the flank.

If the winds are southerly, we're sheltered by the mountains and windspeed is much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It sounded pretty windy here in Celbridge the past hour but nearby Casement only reported 45 knots, which is probably about right for here too. Dublin Airport 47 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Rescue 115 from Shannon just finished a tasking from the Aran Islands to Galway Hospital in terrible weather, heavy rain and very strong wind, great service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Max gust here near Arklow this evening so far is 46.3kmh wsw
    That's from an anemometer at 15ft exposed to that direction
    It sounds louder indeed

rafales_uk_fiw0.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm

Mace head gusting 50 knots
    Casement 50 knots
    Shannon 48 knots
    Valentia 47 knots
    Valentia 47 knots
    Dublin airport 43 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very windy in Galway now

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The wind has really picked up in cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Windy here in West Offaly.This f...ing winter has been with us since last September,same again for next week:eek:

Making it's way into the North Sea now . Still quite blustery over here near the Kerry coast especially in the last squally shower.

In my opinion after the ARPEGE / AROME corrected themselves in the last run proved to be quite close, just a bit over done it around the E. Not bad though . WRF not bad if a bit under especially on Atlantic coasts .

Got up to 97 km/h in Mace Hd, 94 km/h Casement, 84 km/h Shannon, 83 km/h Oakpark , 83 km/h Valentia

tempresult_qys2.gif

tempresult_boq3.gif

Advertisement