Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bishop says Yoga is not suitable for a parish school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    You think the kids should work more hours?

Wasn't like that in my day. The kids would have had to have had a few hours done down the mines in their bare feet before the school even started. And then the baby infants would have to be fluent in differential geometry by Christmas or they'd be getting a belt of the leather.

Out at 2 and then back to the pits for another 10 hours mining away. Again in bare feet and rags.

(It wasn't a serious post, I was only having a cheeky dig at the teacher's "busy day"! ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

joeguevara wrote: »
    Yoga is a broad term and a lot of things get wrapped up in the term. It is more than likely that the yoga being done by the kids is nothing more than leg stretches or back stretches or balancing exercises. If he did not see what they were doing he was premature in a letter.

I assume by your reply, you've actually seen what they are doing....being so authoritative in your statement and all !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

As a primary teacher , I’d be wondering how a school had time for yoga in an already jam packed school day !
    Our primary school does a yoga class for kids from 2:30 to 3:30pm. One of the teachers does it. The kids love it and it's always full. Just stretching really.
    For a bishop to condemn that is beyond stupid and petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

I find it odd that anyone is bothered by what Bishops say anymore.

If you don't like the churches views and teachings you can leave, nobody is forcing you to be a catholic.

Schools can simply ignore what the bishops say.

the catholic church are not armed therefore they have zero power over you , they only have any power of you if you decide to let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I assume by your reply, you've actually seen what they are doing....being so authoritative in your statement and all !!!

Believe it or not I am a religious person. And I care about how it's perceived. But I didn't write a letter which in my opinion does nothing but cause harm. I am making a judgment based on my experience of having attended yoga classes that it never has religious or dogmatic undertones. Also unless there is a yoga cult in numerous schools in his diocese it is likely that kids are being taught a few basic stretches. It appears that it was a letter that jumped to conclusions with no basis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    You think the kids should work more hours?

Infants are wrecked , by the end of the shorter day and older children are struggling by 3 .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Our primary school does a yoga class for kids from 2:30 to 3:30pm. One of the teachers does it. The kids love it and it's always full. Just stretching really.
    For a bishop to condemn that is beyond stupid and petty.

Presume that is a paid after school activity ?

Dog Murphy wrote: »

If you don't like the churches views and teachings you can leave, nobody is forcing you to be a catholic.

the catholic church are not armed therefore they have zero power over you , they only have any power of you if you decide to let them.

Ermm, if the school has a Catholic ethos - as most do - staff have to abide by such a direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

[/B]
    Ermm, if the school has a Catholic ethos - as most do - staff have to abide by such a direction.

I'd really like to see that happen, if the school just ignored what the bishops said that would be it.

They have no power, they wouldn't be let by the parents, teachers to enforce some nonsense like this on a school whether it has a catholic ethos or not.

[/B]

A school under the patronage of a single religious community. Such a school provides religious education according to traditions, practices and beliefs of the specified religious community. It may also provide a wider education about religion and facilitate parents/guardians of other faith traditions to enable them to provide for religious education in their belief system.

But the issue is that basic yoga and mindfulness is not religion and shouldn't come under remit of church direction. It would be the same as saying not to do art unless it only depicted Bible scenes.

Can they have control of teaching about other cultures as they aren't catholic?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm not sure why people are shocked. Yoga isnt just a stretching routine.

I'd really like to see that happen, if the school just ignored what the bishops said that would be it.

They have no power, they wouldn't be let by the parents, teachers to enforce some nonsense like this on a school whether it has a catholic ethos or not.
    The Board , though the patron employ the teacher , not the DES , so yes , the bishop has plenty power .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

People should just ignore what these sheltered old men say. They're just repeating what another sheltered old man has said.

I remember one bishop on the radio speaking about child sex abuse allagations.

His response was that if the children hadn't "blabbed", then it wouldn't be a problem. Since then I have no stock in anything the clergy says

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Can all these bishops do us all a favour and take a long walk off a short pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

If they have a clue, then yes they do.

It's only ignorant westerners who think they can just grab practices from other cultures and re-purpose them without thinking about the philosophical underpinnings. Cultural rape, in effect.

Absolute ring and self hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If it's just stretching, then it's a stretching class, it ain't yoga.

If Hinduism is your religious belief, or one that you want to explore to see if it's for you, then yoga is an excellent thing to do. But if Catholicism is your thing, then there are various types of Christian meditation practise that would be better suited for you than yoga.

Mindfulness is a whole different ball-game. Superficially similar, but without the religious basis. Many people do indeed find it useful. But it should always be taught by someone with the expertise to recognise the people who it's not suitable for because being "in the moment" causes them psychological distress. I'd be concerned about a school offering it, because they may not have the alternative option available for kids who it's bad for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

If Hinduism is your religious belief, or one that you want to explore to see if it's for you, then yoga is an excellent thing to do. But if Catholicism is your thing, then there are various types of Christian meditation practise that would be better suited for you than yoga.

Mindfulness is a whole different ball-game. Superficially similar, but without the religious basis. Many people do indeed find it useful. But it should always be taught by someone with the expertise to recognise the people who it's not suitable for because being "in the moment" causes them psychological distress. I'd be concerned about a school offering it, because they may not have the alternative option available for kids who it's bad for.

Hatha yoga is just stretching?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is he the same one that didn't like the HPV vaccination programme in Irish schools?

Another reason why church & state should be completely separate.

And if a school called a stretching class yoga because it was easier and more likely to get attendees they shouldn't be publicly ridiculed. It would have been more positive if a positive letter was sent rather than being called out.

At a time when the church is in crisis it will only lead to more polarisation. If the church wants to survive they should think about the reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yoga isn't just about meditation. It's a low impact exercise that provides an alternative to those not interested or able to participate in more strenuous sport.

• Advertisement

I found a paper on the subject and the Crux is The Church generally distinguishes between physical postures of yoga and the philosophy or religion from which they come. The adoption of a physical position, even if originating in a religious system other than Christianity, is permissible provided the posture is sought apart from the religious tradition which originated it.

It's only ignorant westerners who think they can just grab practices from other cultures and re-purpose them without thinking about the philosophical underpinnings. Cultural rape, in effect.

People have been doing that for millenia! And not just ignorant westerners either.

I'm sure I don't have to educate you on the origins of things likes Christmas and Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭Odhinn

the_syco wrote: »
    Is he the same one that didn't like the HPV vaccination programme in Irish schools?

Apparently so.

THE CATHOLIC BISHOP who suggested that the HPV vaccine was “70% safe” and could encourage young people to have sex has apologised for his comments.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/bishop-apology-3625782-Oct2017/

Nothing to do with the evolutionary urges at all? Truly a gobshite for the ages.

One of the nicest things I saw was when I was visiting tipp a few months ago. Went for a walk in cahir and along the nature trail was little houses for fairies that were made by the local playschool and primary school. They were class and I'm sure the kids loved making them. Based on the letter that would be stopped.

Teaching about fionn and the Fianna and ancient Irish myths and folklore would be stopped.

Where does it end?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

eviltwin wrote: »
    Yoga isn't just about meditation. It's a low impact exercise that provides an alternative to those not interested or able to participate in more strenuous sport.

Eh... remember when that woman wanted to make a spandex thing called kimono and people gave out, becuase there was already another thing called a kimono? Theres a lot of folks making the same mistake she did, with yoga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Parish schools are unsuitable and inappropriate for modern Ireland. They are an anachronism. Like “Bishop” Cullinan. The era of Mumbo jumbo is long since past.

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Parish schools are unsuitable and inappropriate for modern Ireland. They are an anachronism. Like “Bishop” Cullinan. The era of Mumbo jumbo is long since past.

Schools with catholic patronage on the whole work well. You can't throw the child out with bathwater because of actions of one person. Rarely there would be same meddling in other schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

And if a school called a stretching class yoga because it was easier and more likely to get attendees they shouldn't be publicly ridiculed. It would have been more positive if a positive letter was sent rather than being called out.

At a time when the church is in crisis it will only lead to more polarisation. If the church wants to survive they should think about the reaction

Great move. Let's water down what we believe till we believe nothing. Btw, I'm not RC.

It was interesting that I heard an Irish yoga teacher on radio recently. He specifically said it has a spiritual dimension. I was surprised by the open admission.

Those who say yoga is just exercise need just to Google it.

Great move. Let's water down what we believe till we believe nothing. Btw, I'm not RC.

It was interesting that I heard an Irish yoga teacher on radio recently. He specifically said it has a spiritual dimension. I was surprised by the open admission.

Those who say yoga is just exercise need just to Google it.

Who said anything about watering down? My point is to separate religion and everything else.

Also spiritual does not equal religion. The church has ready stated that nothing wrong with yoga if only the physical.

And if the church continue to isolate people then there will be nothing to believe in at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I found a paper on the subject and the Crux is The Church generally distinguishes between physical postures of yoga and the philosophy or religion from which they come. The adoption of a physical position, even if originating in a religious system other than Christianity, is permissible provided the posture is sought apart from the religious tradition which originated it.

Easy to solve your issue then isn't it?

Get the local athletics club coach in to do a stretching class

Or even get a pilates instructor in

No yoga. Everyone happy!

Advertisement