Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

bubblypop wrote: »
    And why do you think asylum seekers have anything to do with beggars in Dublin?
    Oh BTW, most beggars are not homeless

I never said Asylum seekers had anything to do with beggars in Dublin I said state resources should be spent on the Irish homeless problems first.

How do you know the beggars are not homeless????:rolleyes:

Anyway if they are looking for drink or drug money I always help with food and beverages not cash.

I never said Asylum seekers had anything to do with beggars in Dublin I said state resources should be spent on the Irish homeless problems first.

How do you know the beggars are not homeless????:rolleyes:.

How do i know? Because I talk with them.
    And there is so much money in this country that asylum seekers hardly put a dip in it.
    The government could have done a lot of things to solve the homeless problem, but they haven't, & they don't look like they will anytime soon.
    So why should others suffer because of government ineptitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

how do you expect people to integrate into a new society if you keep them isolated?

They tend to keep themselves isolated to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Outside petrol stations Aldi Lidi and Supervalu and Centra they are always Irish.

The whole any spare change bud with a thick Irish accent kind of gives it away along with the thanks bud in a thick Irish accent.

If you did not go out of your way to avoid putting you hand in your pocket you would know this.

I would know that all beggars outside 4 specific supermarkets are always Irish?

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

How do you know the beggars are not homeless????:rolleyes:

Spend a couple of hours having outdoor pints in Dublin and you will see the beggers being dropped off in cars, swapping shifts and roaring about going home to their gaffs.

It’s a lucrative business for some (one guy in Baggot St who been begging for years quite often makes 100-200 a day). He had a flat that he goes home to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

More rural towns questioning the, eh, benefits of having asylum seekers dumped on their doorsteps.
    Methinks the game is up for the asylum spoofer industry - politicians are gonna have to face up to the scam. Behind a paywall if anyone can post the whole thing.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/theres-too-many-of-them-two-rural-towns-voice-concern-over-lack-of-services-ahead-of-arrival-of-asylum-seekers-38604522.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I have to laugh whenever the DP/refugee topic subject comes up as the town where I live in the Sunny South East has a massive immigrant population and as far as I know we have no DP or other centre.

Of course, many of our migrants are here legitimately from EU members states due the farsightedness of our political masters. 130 migrants - there's probably more than that here on one street alone nicknamed 'Little ......a'. Of course Ireland is different, Cead Mile Failte, and we won't end up with the same problems as many countries in Western Europe where the politicians scratch their heads in amazement as they witness the rise of the extreme right. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The place doesn't even have a train station. Where will they congegrate and sell selfie sticks and mini eiffel tower key rings?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Report on the RTE news earlier, heard the local butcher is happy about I anyway.

The place doesn't even have a train station. Where will they congegrate and sell selfie sticks and mini eiffel tower key rings?

Well ignoring your smart ass question, the town has bus services, to dromod & Carrick, linking up with train stations. And another to cavan, linking up with a bus station. Also, bus connections to enniskillen & longford, from which there are many other connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

SafeSurfer wrote:
    Yes. For example the Kurdish community in Carrick on Shannon and The Iraqi born Leitrim county hurler.

Great! First we were promised brain surgeons and engineers. Now they're going to help Leitrim win the Liam MacCarthy cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Calhoun wrote: »
    Report on the RTE news earlier, heard the local butcher is happy about I anyway.

Halal sales set to increase 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

karenalot wrote: »
    Spend a couple of hours having outdoor pints in Dublin and you will see the beggers being dropped off in cars, swapping shifts and roaring about going home to their gaffs.

It’s a lucrative business for some (one guy in Baggot St who been begging for years quite often makes 100-200 a day). He had a flat that he goes home to.

This is mainly Roma gypsies.

Not necessarily, I know one guy, comes up to Dublin on the train, with his free travel pass everyday, begs all day in Dublin then goes back home in the evening, using his free travel pass.
    I'm sure he's not unique

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

......................Bringing in Christian hating Muslims is all they want.......................

As I asked earlier - Who wants this? How are they doing it?

Europe seems hell bent on bringing people in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Nearly every town centre has been blighted by them in recent years, doing a couple of hours of coin rattling, before an organised collection around 6pm by their master in a van, that is saving up for his extra fancy house back yonder.

Slightly different from regular Romanians, however there are now more from the EU2 than there are neighbourly UK citizens in Dublin. They're also about to overtake Polish speakers (who have been here for a long time now).

Over in the UK, Romanians have overtaken Irish citizens, wonder if there is some sort of exodus Bucharest ongoing in the last few years. It's about as far away from the Uk or Ire (beside Ukraine) than you can get in the EU.

Slightly different from regular Romanians, .

Very different.
    Roma gypsies are not necessarily from Romania. In fact I believe Bulgaria has the most Roma gypsies then anywhere else in Europe.
    So not Romanians. Don't confuse them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

How do i know? Because I talk with them.
    And there is so much money in this country that asylum seekers hardly put a dip in it.

We are spending €462,000 a week on housing Asylum Seekers who statistics indicate, the vast majority have no business here and are economic migrants. https://www.thejournal.ie/asylum-seekers-emergency-accommodation-4854718-Oct2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

We actually have an Irish Roma community these days. They are not new arrivals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

splinter65 wrote: »
    What a terrible idea. They’re going to absolutely hate it. Who comes up with this nonsense?

I have no doubt in my mind Direct Provision is a money making racket and by extension serious misuse of public funds.

Very different.
    Roma gypsies are not necessarily from Romania. In fact I believe Bulgaria has the most Roma gypsies then anywhere else in Europe.
    So not Romanians. Don't confuse them.

I heard irrigated from India

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

400 people a month coming in....there's going to be 3 Ballinamores needed every month to keep up with the demand.
    And there's no one in Irish public life willing to call it out for the absolute, gross waste of money and resources that it is....a monstrous scam being played out before our eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Back about 2003 the hotel in Ballinamore (McAllisters) was used as a centre for refugees.
    I never heard of any trouble in the town, and it did boost trade to local shops and suppliers.
    I worked for a fruit and veg distributor and we delivered weekly.
    It was the only place taking boxes of Aubgerines and the like!
    There aren't 130 empty apartments in the town, but there could be 40 , so probably over 130 bed spaces.
    There is a huge Tesco's, enormous for a town of its size, and with underground parking.
    1300 extra families wouldn't put it under pressure.....
    No one is proposing they would live there forever, but its miles better than a war torn country where you don't know who the next person barging in the door with an AK47 is going to be...

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Back about 2003 the hotel in Ballinamore (McAllisters) was used as a centre for refugees.
    I never heard of any trouble in the town, and it did boost trade to local shops and suppliers.
    There aren't 130 empty apartments in the town, but there could be 40 , so probably over 130 bed spaces.
    There is a huge Tesco's, enormous for a town of its size, and with underground parking.
    No one is proposing they would live there forever, but its miles better than a war torn country where you don't know who the next person barging in the door with an AK47 is going to be...

War torn county can you tell me about this war?

Scammers get their Irish passport and the first thing they do is go on holiday to the country they have escaped this has happened over and over again.

Nigeria Ghana can you tell me about the wars there?

Wexford getting Syrian refugees who all turn our to be from Nigeria.

Yawn Yawn Yawn....how many times does it have to be pointed out the vast majority of asylum seekers come from countries with no wars or with just very localised issues....Albania, Georgia, Nigeria, Pakistan.
    Do people literally not know any better and don't understand this issue or are they deliberately ignoring the countries of origin because of their own personal ideology on migration?

Funny soon we will have hate speech laws along with the replacement of words.

When did the word migrant come into use?

If somebody is not a genuine refugee they are an illegal invader robbing resources from the inhabitants of the nation they have illegally invaded.

The media brainwashing was gradual Illegal immigrant became an Undocumented resident and then a migrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If what you claim is true, then their application will be refused.
    The fact remains, they will be more welcome than a similar number of inner city dolers....
    Now, I wonder why that would be?

Of course the food supplier is going to be ran off their feet.....

They actually are contributing nothing.....

• Advertisement

If what you claim is true, then their application will be refused.
    The fact remains, they will be more welcome than a similar number of inner city dolers....
    Now, I wonder why that would be?

The innocence of some on this well discussed and publicised subject is just stunning. Out banging the drum to let them in, house them etc without knowing even the most basic of facts.

And even when pulled up on the subject, they plough ahead with some more feel good stuff....just from a different angle

Advertisement