Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPs just put a gun to DUP's head

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

doylefe wrote: »
    Such a pity that the degeneracy of same sex marriage and abortion will be introduced into Northern Ireland. One of the last bastions of morality and traditional values being dragged through the mud.

Just when I thought that warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction in my stomach couldn't get any warmer :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Wonder what Susan Anne White thinks of this, she unsuccessfully ran for election in Omagh a few years ago. Her platform was religion and traditional family values, and she wanted to criminalize homosexuality and bring back capital punishment.

She opined on her blog that the DUP were too soft in her opinion. She rage quit her blog when the 8th was repealed and she's no fan of Varadkar!

She must be having a really bad day today. Outrage overload :mad:

susan-anne-white.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Such a pity that the degeneracy of same sex marriage and abortion will be introduced into Northern Ireland. One of the last bastions of morality and traditional values being dragged through the mud.

Traditional values. What a quaint way of dressing up hatred and bigotry.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

So Sinn Fein just sit on their hands for 4 months and viola, bill gets passed?

But SF in theory anyway are quite opposed to direct rule from Westminster. If they follow above approach, they'll be wide open to the accusation that direct rule delivers for the people of NI and is the way to go.

It's a very tricky horse to ride for both SF & the DUP. In practice, nothing will happen in Stormont anyway until the whole Brexit issue has more clarity. So this is more or less a done deal. The DUP may wring their hands but say it's being imposed by the UK. SF will take the flack just to see the discomfiture in the other crowd. Nothing changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Thats you off my big gay wedding invite list.

Degeneracy how lovely.

Northern ireland is a backward hole in general, anything that helps drag it into the 21st century is a good thing IMO.
    Thankfully things are changing up there when it comes to younger people (whether you like it or not) they are rejecting the more extreme options and voting for parties like the alliance.

I spent 20 years of my life living there BTW, do you live there or are you from there?
    You say morality and traditional values I say nasty narrow minded bigotry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Traditional values. What a quaint way of dressing up hatred and bigotry.

Some policies that were too far neoliberal for Thatcher have been dressed up as solidarity and empathy.

Political dress up is a defining aspect of our age.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wonder what Susan Anne White thinks of this, she unsuccessfully ran for election in Omagh a few years ago. Her platform was religion and traditional family values, and she wanted to criminalize homosexuality and bring back capital punishment.

She opined on her blog that the DUP were too soft in her opinion. She rage quit her blog when the 8th was repealed and she's no fan of Varadkar!

should she not be living by her own principles and staying at home being a good mother while her husband goes to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wow, she really managed to cram it all in there didn't she,
    , at first I though she's a holy Jo, plain and simple, intolerant but a holy Jo, but then saw the rail against climate change and against human rights NI, and though maybe she's trump in a dress... (i think that can be ruled out by wanting punishment for adultery)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So the DUP will go apoplectic over this, there's no way they'll back brexit without being given a veto over this, and unlikely they'll work with the shinners,
    So a UK general election immediately after Boris' coronation.
    Which may suit Boris as he has less opportunity to piss off the general British electorate, and if he ends up with a decent majority he doesn't need the DUP, and can carry brexit votes where ever he wants ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lazer002

It's all good the SSM is being brought into NI.

I personally am not as keen on abortion legislation being passed - but it was always going to happen especially after Repel the 8th won in the south.

It's all well and good to laugh at the DUP - but this has an impact on every person in NI.

The major issue here, is the effect of this on devolution - as far I as I know the DUP do not have the numbers for a petition of concern (with 28 seats), so SSM and abortion could have passed the NI assembly legislation this time anyway, if Stormont was running.

This bill has in effect meant that there is no incentive to get Stormont running before 21st October.
    The lack of an assembly has an effect on the people in NI - for example long term funding cannot be accessed so the health service in NI cannot give its staff the same paydeal as the nhs in England (which has a 3 year deal). Many people in the HSC got a 1.5% payrise (max payrise was 3%) this year vs about 8% in England.
    There is a lack on investment in public services and much needed shake up aren't happening.

The Ni economy is in recession but there is no one willing to do anything about it as there is no government.

The people in London are once again legislating for Northern Ireland - this shouldn't be ongoing for near 3 years - an election should be called and if the same useless politicians are voted in again and again refuse to enter Stormont, then bring back direct rule properly or let the parties that will sit in Stormont govern so at least someone is governing here instead of this current limbo which is having a massive impact on public services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Cordell

should she not be living by her own principles and staying at home being a good mother while her husband goes to work?

I hope it's clear now why is the religious fundamentalism a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I bet you said the same thing when it happened here and the sky hasn't fallen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The DUP will not like it but they'll still prefer it to Stormont being up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

eviltwin wrote: »
    I bet you said the same thing when it happened here and the sky hasn't fallen in.

it is very humid today and it hasn't been a great summer so maybe that is god punishing us for passing both referendums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Danzy wrote: »
    The DUP will not like it but they'll still prefer it to Stormont being up and running.

Fair enough. Let's hope the abortion legislation is next. The UK is supposed to be a country at the end of the day.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Lazer002 wrote: »
    It's all well and good to laugh at the DUP - but this has an impact on every person in NI.

It confers rights and options to all people in NI, that's all. Nothing is compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

its great to see how long did they think they would get away with just not bothering to run NI.

at some point westminster needs to step in - i suspect it already has on lots of things just nothing Contentious until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Cos theyve been behind the door with their opinions up till now?

Gay rights and abortion are world wide issues. Irish language rights are not.
    Pissartist wrote: »
    I don't disagree with it i never said that, I just wouldn't tar everyone who disagrees with me as a gay hater, for me, that's small minded and bigoted.

Are you familiar with the DUP?

You're not in a position to adopt the high moral ground when the integrity of your posts is balanced precariously between the gutter and the sewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Does this mean that the DUP will pull the plug on the Tory party?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Lazer002

It's all good the SSM is being brought into NI.

I personally am not as keen on abortion legislation being passed - but it was always going to happen especially after Repel the 8th won in the south.

The major issue here, is the effect of this on devolution - as far I as I know the DUP do not have the numbers for a petition of concern (with 28 seats), so SSM and abortion could have passed the NI assembly legislation this time anyway, if Stormont was running.

This bill has in effect meant that there is no incentive to get Stormont running before 21st October.
    The lack of an assembly has an effect on the people in NI - for example long term funding cannot be accessed so the health service in NI cannot give its staff the same paydeal as the nhs in England (which has a 3 year deal). Many people in the HSC got a 1.5% payrise (max payrise was 3%) this year vs about 8% in England.
    There is a lack on investment in public services and much needed shake up aren't happening.

The Ni economy is in recession but there is no one willing to do anything about it as there is no government.

The people in London are once again legislating for Northern Ireland - this shouldn't be ongoing for near 3 years - an election should be called and if the same useless politicians are voted in again and again refuse to enter Stormont, then bring back direct rule properly or let the parties that will sit in Stormont govern so at least someone is governing here instead of this current limbo which is having a massive impact on public services.
    It confers rights and options to all people in NI, that's all. Nothing is compulsory.

Maybe you should have read my whole post - The fact that it means there is now even less incentive to get Stormont up and running is how it impacts every person in NI - and the fact that the UK government were able to pass a law on a devolved matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Maybe you should have read my whole post - The fact that it means there is now even less incentive to get Stormont up and running is how it impacts every person in NI - and the fact that the UK government were able to pass a law on a devolved matter.

The ramifications of this are multi-faceted.

On the surface, and certainly in the shorter term, it looks like a kick in the face to the DUP, cue much rejoicing from the bigots on the other side to them.

However, the medium-term implications are less clear. There will be many in the DUP secretly glad that the SSM and abortion issues are off the table. That will leave the Irish Language Act and SF posturing on Arlene Foster as the main issues preventing the re-establishment of Stormont. Will SF die in the ditches for these principles and stand idly by once again when the well-being and welfare of the ordinary people of Northern Ireland are at stake in a potential hard Brexit?

A further complication will be that regardless of the implications and outcomes, there will be a cohort of unionists happy with the imposition of direct rule. All in all, this move will make things interesting

steddyeddy wrote: »

That's a toughie. The Tories are all they have and they view them as a necessary embarrassment. If the DUP drop the Tories they become less relevant in Westminster. So I've a feeling the DUP will do a Fianna Fail, complain a bit for the base, but continue on as is.

blanch152 wrote: »
    The ramifications of this are multi-faceted.

On the surface, and certainly in the shorter term, it looks like a kick in the face to the DUP, cue much rejoicing from the bigots on the other side to them.

However, the medium-term implications are less clear. There will be many in the DUP secretly glad that the SSM and abortion issues are off the table. That will leave the Irish Language Act and SF posturing on Arlene Foster as the main issues preventing the re-establishment of Stormont. Will SF die in the ditches for these principles and stand idly by once again when the well-being and welfare of the ordinary people of Northern Ireland are at stake in a potential hard Brexit?

A further complication will be that regardless of the implications and outcomes, there will be a cohort of unionists happy with the imposition of direct rule. All in all, this move will make things interesting

And decent people who believe in choice and equal rights for gays.
    You'd have a point but Arlene's fraud was always the number one issue. In the least it will make it national news once again. Also the DUP will still be opposing the language act. It's a two way issue and it's the DUP being unreasonable on that one also. Standing on principle is not being idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

circadian wrote: »
    Faugheen wrote: »
    I'd say Sammy Wilson's blood pressure is through the roof. Delighted for the bigoted fools in the DUP.

His face is heating an entire room at this stage.
    Who needs ash for cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

steddyeddy wrote: »
    God no! The DUP may be a Bible thumping party with loads of principles and red lines but when it comes to the Queens shilling all that goes out the window. Next you'll be asking Ian Paisley Jr to pay for his exotic holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know when the RHI report is due out? And will it be a resigning matter for Arlene or is she expected to just brazen out wasting £500m of taxpayers money? Reports before said that the largest beneficiaries of the scheme are mainly farmers in her constituency and DUP members.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know when the RHI report is due out? And will it be a resigning matter for Arlene or is she expected to just brazen out wasting £500m of taxpayers money? Reports before said that the largest beneficiaries of the scheme are mainly farmers in her constituency and DUP members.
    I think you already know the answer to that question....

Ian Paisley Junior did exactly the same with his little paid for holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And decent people who believe in choice and equal rights for gays.
    You'd have a point but Arlene's fraud was always the number one issue. In the least it will make it national news once again. Also the DUP will still be opposing the language act. It's a two way issue and it's the DUP being unreasonable on that one also. Standing on principle is not being idle.

To most people, SSM and abortion rank as more important issues than a petty squabble over the difference between a Minority Languages Act and an Irish Languages Act, or how a grubby scheme went wrong, but you are entitled to say that they are more important.

For me, these actions in the UK remove all excuses not to reconvene Stormont later this year.

Advertisement