Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MPs just put a gun to DUP's head

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

steddyeddy wrote: »
    In other words the DUP have to decide whether they hate gay people or people who speak Irish more! Absolutely delighted for the bigots.

Not sure disagreeing with Ssm equates to hating gays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Pissartist wrote: »

Well cling onto that belief if it makes you feel better P. Here's a quote from Ian Paisley Junior on his feelings towards gay people:

"I am pretty repulsed by gay and lesbianism. I think it is wrong. I think that those people harm themselves and – without caring about it – harm society. That doesn't mean to say that I hate them – I mean, I hate what they do"

Usually they do hate gays, just lack the balls to say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Lol, about time. They want to be governed exactly the same as the UK except when it suits, good enough for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

IMO the muted reaction to this so far shows how far last year's referendum has taken a lot of the heat out of the abortion issue across the island. So far, there's been a desultory handful of posts about it on politics.ie, whereas if this had happened five years ago the place would be in uproar all evening with denunciations of baby-murdering Brits...

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well cling onto that belief if it makes you feel better P. Here's a quote from Ian Paisley Junior on his feelings towards gay people:

"I am pretty repulsed by gay and lesbianism. I think it is wrong. I think that those people harm themselves and – without caring about it – harm society. That doesn't mean to say that I hate them – I mean, I hate what they do"

Usually they do hate gays, just lack the balls to say it.

You're quoting Ian paisley, hardly a reflection on all people who disagree with Ssm.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There's always one.

Pretty sure trying to tell two people that they can't get married because of their sexuality is the same as hating the gays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I can't wait for the orange pride march down the Garvaghy Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

IMO the muted reaction to this so far shows how far last year's referendum has taken a lot of the heat out of the abortion issue across the island. So far, there's been a desultory handful of posts about it on politics.ie, whereas if this had happened five years ago the place would be in uproar all evening with denunciations of baby-murdering Brits...

It was such a clear clean victory - knocked the stuffing out of the anti choice movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You're quoting Ian paisley, hardly a reflection on all people who disagree with Ssm.

Clear enough reflection on all the DUP members who disagree with it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Cool, so why do you disagree with it if you do....

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Cool, so why do you disagree with it if you do....

I don't disagree with it i never said that, I just wouldn't tar everyone who disagrees with me as a gay hater, for me, that's small minded and bigoted.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It was such a clear clean victory - knocked the stuffing out of the anti choice movement.

They haven't gone away unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ultimate trolling of the day ewe pay by Westminster, have to hand it to them.

There is literally zero chance of an assembly by 21 Oct because a) Brexit will likely be in full on brinksmanship mode at that point and Norn Iron will be a poker chip along sectarian lines and b) the cash-for-ash report will be out sometime between now and then and thats a huge part of the Stormont stalemate so.....

SSM and bodily autonomy at the stroke of a liberal pen led by Stella Creasey and Co., a total anathema to Arlene and Co.

Brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

And all of this is just 2 days before the biggest event in the Unionist calendar, bonfire night

• Advertisement

And all of this is just 2 days before the biggest event in the Unionist calendar, bonfire night

So there will be rainbow as well as Ivory Coast flegs on the bonfire this year I take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

So there will be rainbow as well as Ivory Coast flegs on the bonfire this year I take it.

I struggle to believe SSM is that big an issue for people in the north though??

It was just the DUP being childish and againest it because republicans wanted it.....kinda like howd they prob rather blur,to oasis on same logic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I expect plenty of Unionists will be very happy with the result ie, those that want the right to abortion and LGBT wishing to get married - they will be doing the happy burning

The religious conservatives will be doing the sad burning :( The DUP don't speak for the entire Unionist community

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,383 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder would it work if we just put a trail of bananas all the way back to Stormount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

LOL

Which Loyal Orange Lodge are you a member of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ultimate trolling of the day ewe pay by Westminster, have to hand it to them.

There is literally zero chance of an assembly by 21 Oct because a) Brexit will likely be in full on brinksmanship mode at that point and Norn Iron will be a poker chip along sectarian lines and b) the cash-for-ash report will be out sometime between now and then and thats a huge part of the Stormont stalemate so.....

SSM and bodily autonomy at the stroke of a liberal pen led by Stella Creasey and Co., a total anathema to Arlene and Co.

Brilliant.

Excellent work by them, let's not forget that it was Conor McGinn, a south Armagh fella that got this moving.

Theres quite a difference between the type of working class loyalist areas that are big into febrile bonfire nights and the arch-conservative DUP/TUV types who will balk at this societal landmine today, so I don't see any particular increased risk of trouble on the streets beyond the usual blackguarding.

Besides, its not like the pan-Unionist family can have much of a complaint about a law passed by her Royal Majesty's Queenie's Parliament in the Capital of the Empire!

I can't stop giggling frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Which Loyal Orange Lodge are you a member of?

Terry's Chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There won't be a shinner to be found up north this side of Halloween lest Stormont get going again... "new fone, who dis?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The DUP knew this was coming. Now it will go through and they can blame the government. Sinn Fein will see this as an advancement of the equality agenda and that the DUP have swallowed a decent bit of pain, so Sinn Fein will agree to go back into Stormont too. Power Sharing will be up and running by winter.

This is good news for DUP and bad for SF.

DUP leadership were probably not anti gay marriage/choice but had to be seen to oppose it due to their members opinions.
    Now the leadership can say we fought against it as best we could and its being forced on us- while still saying they are remaining true to their beliefs.

SF were apealing to the Gay/feminist/liberal protestant vote- now they have no reason to vote SF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Chiparus wrote: »
    This is good news for DUP and bad for SF.

DUP leadership were probably not anti gay marriage/choice but had to be seen to oppose it due to their members opinions.

You think the DUP leadership don't have the same beliefs as their membership and supporters? I always assumed they were genuine, at least on that front.

Chiparus wrote: »
    DUP leadership were probably not anti gay

They've a funny way of showing it.

And of course they are, and the party always has been. Abomination is their favourite word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. But this is the original "Save Ulster from Sodomy from Party" and they havent moved that much past that.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is going to drive the DUP mad.

So, this makes me very happy.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Being anti ssm would mean being pro oppression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They've a funny way of showing it.

And of course they are, and the party always has been. Abomination is their favourite word.

Or are they exploiting the prejudices of their supporters for electoral advantage, the way Fiaana Fail used to and the Republican Party in America still does.
    Would a party led by true bigots have permitted this?
    https://www.irishnews.com/news/localelection2019/2019/04/19/news/dup-woman-is-party-s-first-openly-gay-politician-1601209/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Does anyone know if each MP's voting records for yesterdays votes are published anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Does anyone know if each MP's voting records for yesterdays votes are published anywhere?

I read in the Irish times who voted with the DUP didn't name all the MPs, but definitely named one.
    Just 65 Conservatives joined the DUP in voting against Mr McGinn’s amendment. Some 84 Conservatives, five Labour, two SNP MPs and Independent Unionist Sylvia Hermon voted with the DUP against the abortion referendum.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/07/09/heres-how-every-mp-voted-on-equal-marriage-in-northern-ireland/amp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,318 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I saw a really good link on twitter will see if I can dig it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Could sinn fein stall the whole thing till after oct to let it go through?

I was thinking the exact same thing. After all, it's exactly what the DUP did to Brexit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Such a pity that the degeneracy of same sex marriage and abortion will be introduced into Northern Ireland. One of the last bastions of morality and traditional values being dragged through the mud.

• Advertisement

Awwwww diddums.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

doylefe wrote: »
    Such a pity that the degeneracy of same sex marriage and abortion will be introduced into Northern Ireland. One of the last bastions of morality and traditional values being dragged through the mud.

Just when I thought that warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction in my stomach couldn't get any warmer :D

Wonder what Susan Anne White thinks of this, she unsuccessfully ran for election in Omagh a few years ago. Her platform was religion and traditional family values, and she wanted to criminalize homosexuality and bring back capital punishment.

She opined on her blog that the DUP were too soft in her opinion. She rage quit her blog when the 8th was repealed and she's no fan of Varadkar!

She must be having a really bad day today. Outrage overload :mad:

susan-anne-white.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Traditional values. What a quaint way of dressing up hatred and bigotry.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

So Sinn Fein just sit on their hands for 4 months and viola, bill gets passed?

But SF in theory anyway are quite opposed to direct rule from Westminster. If they follow above approach, they'll be wide open to the accusation that direct rule delivers for the people of NI and is the way to go.

It's a very tricky horse to ride for both SF & the DUP. In practice, nothing will happen in Stormont anyway until the whole Brexit issue has more clarity. So this is more or less a done deal. The DUP may wring their hands but say it's being imposed by the UK. SF will take the flack just to see the discomfiture in the other crowd. Nothing changes.

Thats you off my big gay wedding invite list.

Degeneracy how lovely.

Northern ireland is a backward hole in general, anything that helps drag it into the 21st century is a good thing IMO.
    Thankfully things are changing up there when it comes to younger people (whether you like it or not) they are rejecting the more extreme options and voting for parties like the alliance.

I spent 20 years of my life living there BTW, do you live there or are you from there?
    You say morality and traditional values I say nasty narrow minded bigotry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Traditional values. What a quaint way of dressing up hatred and bigotry.

Some policies that were too far neoliberal for Thatcher have been dressed up as solidarity and empathy.

Political dress up is a defining aspect of our age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wonder what Susan Anne White thinks of this, she unsuccessfully ran for election in Omagh a few years ago. Her platform was religion and traditional family values, and she wanted to criminalize homosexuality and bring back capital punishment.

She opined on her blog that the DUP were too soft in her opinion. She rage quit her blog when the 8th was repealed and she's no fan of Varadkar!

should she not be living by her own principles and staying at home being a good mother while her husband goes to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wow, she really managed to cram it all in there didn't she,
    , at first I though she's a holy Jo, plain and simple, intolerant but a holy Jo, but then saw the rail against climate change and against human rights NI, and though maybe she's trump in a dress... (i think that can be ruled out by wanting punishment for adultery)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So the DUP will go apoplectic over this, there's no way they'll back brexit without being given a veto over this, and unlikely they'll work with the shinners,
    So a UK general election immediately after Boris' coronation.
    Which may suit Boris as he has less opportunity to piss off the general British electorate, and if he ends up with a decent majority he doesn't need the DUP, and can carry brexit votes where ever he wants ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lazer002

It's all good the SSM is being brought into NI.

I personally am not as keen on abortion legislation being passed - but it was always going to happen especially after Repel the 8th won in the south.

It's all well and good to laugh at the DUP - but this has an impact on every person in NI.

The major issue here, is the effect of this on devolution - as far I as I know the DUP do not have the numbers for a petition of concern (with 28 seats), so SSM and abortion could have passed the NI assembly legislation this time anyway, if Stormont was running.

This bill has in effect meant that there is no incentive to get Stormont running before 21st October.
    The lack of an assembly has an effect on the people in NI - for example long term funding cannot be accessed so the health service in NI cannot give its staff the same paydeal as the nhs in England (which has a 3 year deal). Many people in the HSC got a 1.5% payrise (max payrise was 3%) this year vs about 8% in England.
    There is a lack on investment in public services and much needed shake up aren't happening.

The Ni economy is in recession but there is no one willing to do anything about it as there is no government.

The people in London are once again legislating for Northern Ireland - this shouldn't be ongoing for near 3 years - an election should be called and if the same useless politicians are voted in again and again refuse to enter Stormont, then bring back direct rule properly or let the parties that will sit in Stormont govern so at least someone is governing here instead of this current limbo which is having a massive impact on public services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement