Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPs just put a gun to DUP's head

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

Faugheen wrote: »
    I'd say Sammy Wilson's blood pressure is through the roof. Delighted for the bigoted fools in the DUP.

His face is heating an entire room at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,054 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'd say Sammy Wilson's blood pressure is through the roof. Delighted for the bigoted fools in the DUP.

Sammy's a swinger though. Betcha he's secretly delighted women in NI can now terminate 'inconvenient' pregnancies with minimum inconvenience...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Nigel Dodds a reaction was very telling
    (the proposals drive) a coach and horses through the principle of devolution.

Couldn't come with a modern analogy, sums up the DUP right there I think!

https://www.thejournal.ie/same-sex-marriage-abortion-north-4717703-Jul2019/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Sounds like a bum deal for him alright.

DseF-L2WwAAixDR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I imagine the frequency of phone calls Sinn Fein is getting now is wearing out their batteries fairly fast.

• Advertisement

I don't know, I haven't seen the exact wording of the bill. Does it legalise it from October 21st onwards or just give Britain the right to legislate for it from that date? If it's the latter then further legislation will be required and could be subject to delays etc

Does anyone know the specifics of the bill?

Yes if these genuinely are 'devolved'issues I don't see how the Commons can hold a gun to the DUP's head like this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

circadian wrote: »
    His face is heating an entire room barn at this stage.

Arlene fixed that for you now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bmc58

Yes if these genuinely are 'devolved'issues I don't see how the Commons can hold a gun to the DUP's head like this.

Because for devolution to work, you need an assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

There will almost certainly be no return to Stormount this year by the looks of things.

• Advertisement

SF will insist on same sex marriage and abortion rights in assembly negotiations anyway, so it will happen one way or another.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    SF will insist on same sex marriage and abortion rights in assembly negotiations anyway, so it will happen one way or another.

Possibly if the assembly returns after the deadline, abortion and SSM will be the law of the land, and it will require the support of both main parties to overturn them, whereas as things stood up to now they would both have to voted to introduce them?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bingbong500

There is no-one there to devolve to.

This suits the DUP. They were never going to win on either issue but this way they can still claim to have had it forced on them by Westminster.

The DUP knew this was coming. Now it will go through and they can blame the government. Sinn Fein will see this as an advancement of the equality agenda and that the DUP have swallowed a decent bit of pain, so Sinn Fein will agree to go back into Stormont too. Power Sharing will be up and running by winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

This is a dilly of a pickle. If they fight this it'll really look bad for them. It's the kind of thing the world watches, it's above and beyond their petty anti Irish language stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Arleen will have to come clean about the RHI scandal before SF go into office in Stormont. She's not doing that anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sinn Fein have campaigned for same sex marriage in NI for a long time and when the health ministry came under Sinn Fein control they reversed the lifetime ban on MSM blood donors.

Guess we will have to see how this plays out, if Stormont does start up before October 21st the DUP will have this blocked immediately with a petition of concern

But SF would insist they couldn't do that!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This is a dilly of a pickle. If they fight this it'll really look bad for them.

Cos theyve been behind the door with their opinions up till now?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

L O fcuking L

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

L O fcuking L

hahahahahaha

hahahahahaha

hahahahahaha

hahahahahaha

bigoted prats

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

steddyeddy wrote: »
    In other words the DUP have to decide whether they hate gay people or people who speak Irish more! Absolutely delighted for the bigots.

Not sure disagreeing with Ssm equates to hating gays

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Pissartist wrote: »

Well cling onto that belief if it makes you feel better P. Here's a quote from Ian Paisley Junior on his feelings towards gay people:

"I am pretty repulsed by gay and lesbianism. I think it is wrong. I think that those people harm themselves and – without caring about it – harm society. That doesn't mean to say that I hate them – I mean, I hate what they do"

Usually they do hate gays, just lack the balls to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Lol, about time. They want to be governed exactly the same as the UK except when it suits, good enough for them.

IMO the muted reaction to this so far shows how far last year's referendum has taken a lot of the heat out of the abortion issue across the island. So far, there's been a desultory handful of posts about it on politics.ie, whereas if this had happened five years ago the place would be in uproar all evening with denunciations of baby-murdering Brits...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well cling onto that belief if it makes you feel better P. Here's a quote from Ian Paisley Junior on his feelings towards gay people:

"I am pretty repulsed by gay and lesbianism. I think it is wrong. I think that those people harm themselves and – without caring about it – harm society. That doesn't mean to say that I hate them – I mean, I hate what they do"

Usually they do hate gays, just lack the balls to say it.

You're quoting Ian paisley, hardly a reflection on all people who disagree with Ssm.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There's always one.

Pretty sure trying to tell two people that they can't get married because of their sexuality is the same as hating the gays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I can't wait for the orange pride march down the Garvaghy Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

IMO the muted reaction to this so far shows how far last year's referendum has taken a lot of the heat out of the abortion issue across the island. So far, there's been a desultory handful of posts about it on politics.ie, whereas if this had happened five years ago the place would be in uproar all evening with denunciations of baby-murdering Brits...

It was such a clear clean victory - knocked the stuffing out of the anti choice movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You're quoting Ian paisley, hardly a reflection on all people who disagree with Ssm.

Clear enough reflection on all the DUP members who disagree with it though.

Advertisement