Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to meet a farmer?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I’m 39 and would love to settle down, but terrified of changing tax bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 incognito_2019

1 word: Macra

The largest dating agency in the country. I added up 40+ Marriages I could think of that started trough Macra and I’ve been to 2 more Macra weddings since then.

But would it be unusual for someone not connected to farming at all to join?! I’m not familiar with it at all

I can't help thinking this is a wind up.

Not a wind up at all!!

Bullocks wrote: »
    I reckon an ad in the journal would be worth the price of it .
    Macra meetings and outings are brilliant for people to mingle
    What do you work at and could you spare a bit of time to work a saturday in the office of a mart or volunteer at any local agricultural show ?
    Out of interest what are the attractions to pairing up with a farmer ?

I work in a 9-5 office job with the odd weekend thrown in, yes could definitely get involved in a show. Does anyone actually respond to those ads nowadays though? I’m not sure where the attraction came from, life on a farm has always appealed to me for some reason, I’m not stuck on the idea but it would be nice to meet someone and a bonus if they are into farming

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Gods Gift wrote: »
    I’m 39 and would love to settle down, but terrified of changing tax bands.

It's well proven that married people are much better off. The trick is staying married!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Perfect timing for the bps😂

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Would a lad with both hips done be out of the question?
    Still has most of his own teeth if that would help?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

Ah yes I’ve my eyes wide open don’t worry, that doesn’t put me off

plus it is so up and down, i wouldnt marry a farmer if you paid me, if their sheep dont sell, they depressed, if their sheep get best prize at the show they on top of the world, up and down moods, no money, wet all the time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

There is a few of them lads down here and they haven't a notion of setting down. There are having too good a time. They get plenty of it as they say themselves why would you buy a cow when you can get milk for nothing. These guys can travel and it's all in the phone these days and there is some hotel in limerick you can hire out a room by the hour and they are back in the local at closing time job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Would a lad with both hips done be out of the question?
    Still has most of his own teeth if that would help?

Good to hear you got the second hip done, how are you finding it?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Never mind the hips, they don't lie.
    How's Rods rod doing?

To thine own self be true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Never mind the hips, they don't lie.
    How's Rods rod doing?

All the rodding wore out the hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

But would it be unusual for someone not connected to farming at all to join?! I’m not familiar with it at all

Only 2 farmers on my club

• Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's getting to be a very dangerous place around here now!

Incognito_2019. Are you any good at paperwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

kerryjack wrote: »
    There is a few of them lads down here and they haven't a notion of setting down. There are having too good a time. They get plenty of it as they say themselves why would you buy a cow when you can get milk for nothing. These guys can travel and it's all in the phone these days and there is some hotel in limerick you can hire out a room by the hour and they are back in the local at closing time job done.

That's The Stickit Inn. :rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I imagine most farmers would be wary of someone not from a farming background looking to marry someone just because they’re a farmer. Handy way to make a million. Marry a farmer, ride him a couple of times for good measure. Divorce within a year with a handy few acres or a big wad to let him keep the land.

I’m not saying that’s what your at but it’s the first thought on a lot of lads minds. (Not a farmer myself but about 30% of my customers are)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

OP, why do you want to marry a farmer?

Can't you guys put your Tinder radar thing to Roscommon or the depths of Kerry and set age to 50-70?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

There are social dancing events held often, full of jiving farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I imagine most farmers would be wary of someone not from a farming background looking to marry someone just because they’re a farmer. Handy way to make a million. Marry a farmer, ride him a couple of times for good measure. Divorce within a year with a handy few acres or a big wad to let him keep the land.

I’m not saying that’s what your at but it’s the first thought on a lot of lads minds. (Not a farmer myself but about 30% of my customers are)

Farmers are rich ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Farmers are militaires?

I assume you mean millionaires? Most Farmers are very asset rich between land, stock and machinery and in a lot of cases are worth a million or more on paper. If they are divorced the spouse is entitled to half of this, so either the farmer sells off assets, hands over land or finances to pay off the divorcing spouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Ah, I got it done by a local lad, for a cash deal. Should have gone to hospital and done it right.
    You live and learn I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I assume you mean millionaires? Most Farmers are very asset rich between land, stock and machinery and in a lot of cases are worth a million or more on paper. If they are divorced the spouse is entitled to half of this, so either the farmer sells off assets, hands over land or finances to pay off the divorcing spouse.

I wonder how many divorces actually fleeces farmers
    I know of two locally, one lad gave her a site and she moved out of the farm house with one child, he kept the other. She built on the site a few years later.
    The other lad sold off a lock of cows but no land.
    I don't know what I would do if the wife went looking for half the place, maybe give it all to her on the condition she had to work it until the kids were old enough to take it.

What would a lad do with his time if he had no wife or farm? Couldn't think of enough to pass the time haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Bullocks wrote: »
    I wonder how many divorces actually fleeces farmers
    I know of two locally, one lad gave her a site and she moved out of the farm house with one child, he kept the other. She built on the site a few years later.
    The other lad sold off a lock of cows but no land.
    I don't know what I would do if the wife went looking for half the place, maybe give it all to her on the condition she had to work it until the kids were old enough to take it.

What would a lad do with his time if he had no wife or farm? Couldn't think of enough to pass the time haha

give her the land and keep the entitlements :P

Advertisement