Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to meet a farmer?!

Options
  • 16-10-2019 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Ok so I’ve gone incognito as I’ve a few posts on my other account that identify who I am and wanted to start on a fresh slate! So since I was small I’ve always wanted marry a farmer but alas it hasn’t happened and at mid 30s it may never! But I am giving it another go, I am on the usual apps POF and tinder but they just seem to be time wasters these days and I’ve only ever met up with two people from either after hours of pointless scrolling and a lot of pointless messages! Tried a different dating site dedicated to farmers but it’s a paid one so not sure if there are many on it these days when there are lots of free sites available. I am not a farmer myself so I’m not regularly hanging around marts or anything like that and I live in a large enough town, closest city being Dublin… I saw a post a few days ago about farming men in their forties who never found anyone as the lifestyle isn’t the most sociable and it got me thinking, life is too short to hang around waiting for things to happen, so any ideas?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,081 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm sure you'll get a few PMs here after that :)

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 12 incognito_2019

Haha you never know, well i'll go from penpals on tinder to penpals on this instead!

You missed the Ploughing Championships.
    There was a heap of men in overalls there.
    What about the back of the Irelands Own?

Yeah I did see ads in the farmers journal but I presumed they were not real ads or do people still use that sort of advertising?! BTW part time farmer is just fine, looking for a country lad you could say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

find out where your local macra is based and touch base with them.

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    find out where your local macra is based and touch base with them.

Would they provide a list of eligible men?! Good idea not sure how I could get involved though I think I would be an outsider!!

You do know though that being married to a farmer requires a certain amount of dedication/patience/compromise.
    I know because I grew up on a dairy farm.
    They work 7 days a week. Holidays are rare. Nights out and trips are often scuppered if there's a cow or sheep about to give birth.
    Work starts at 6am, might not see them until 14 hours later.
    Forget summer holidays, it's their busiest period.
    I'm just painting you a realistic picture here.

You do know though that being married to a farmer requires a certain amount of dedication/patience/compromise.
    I know because I grew up on a dairy farm.
    They work 7 days a week. Holidays are rare. Nights out and trips are often scuppered if there's a cow or sheep about to give birth.
    Work starts at 6am, might not see them until 14 hours later.
    Forget summer holidays, it's their busiest period.
    I'm just painting you a realistic picture here.

Ah yes I’ve my eyes wide open don’t worry, that doesn’t put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

You're a few weeks late but lisdoonvarna any weekend in September would be a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭davidk1394

First question is what age bracket are you looking for? Have you ever been on a farm or worked with animals? Are you ok with long hours during the year, the smell of shíte sometimes or being being woken up at an ungodly hour because theres a difficult calving/lambing or theres stock on the road.

Macra is a good start to find a young farmer, another place is Lisdoonvarna (nothing but check shirts and brown boots as far as the eye can see), Galway races is a good bet and if your from Dublin head into coppers of a Saturday night and theres surely a culchie there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Done Deal ...... genuine offers only ........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Lets get your vital stats out of the way first so that everyone knows what they are getting themselves into

How much road frontage do you have?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Back of the farmers journal.

One smart pwick said that was where I met my missus. I laughed

In fairness though,if ya try too hard it'll never happen. I honestly don't see why the occupation of a person has any bearing on a first meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I know a bachelor farmer. He's 66 has free travel and a few fields with some nice heifers in them.
    He's farmer all his life and wouldn't be short a few bob contrary to what he would say.

He hangs around my place occasionally. I'm not a farmer, am younger and happily married to a farmer's daughter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

davidk1394 wrote: »
    First question is what age bracket are you looking for?

She or he (you can't assume nowadays!) says they are mid 30s, so time may be marching on etc.

Join your local ICA?
    I'm sure the members would be happy to make some introductions.

Back of the farmers journal.

One smart pwick said that was where I met my missus. I laughed

In fairness though,if ya try too hard it'll never happen. I honestly don't see why the occupation of a person has any bearing on a first meeting.

Ah it hasn’t really but always imagined myself ending up on a farm, I’d be happy to meet the right person regardless of profession!

BarryD2 wrote: »
    She or he (you can't assume nowadays!) says they are mid 30s, so time may be marching on etc.

It’s never too late!

I know a bachelor farmer. He's 66 has free travel and a few fields with some nice heifers in them.
    He's farmer all his life and wouldn't be short a few bob contrary to what he would say.

He hangs around my place occasionally. I'm not a farmer, am younger and happily married to a farmer's daughter :)

No problem with an older man but 66 is stretching it a bit far 🙂

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No problem with an older man but 66 is stretching it a bit far ��

as they say, the older the berry, the sweeter the taste :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Join your local ICA?
    I'm sure the members would be happy to make some introductions.

I don't think the OP is a lesbian......

No problem with an older man but 66 is stretching it a bit far 🙂

The less time to the reading of the will :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Wanting to marry someone purley because of their occupation is very weird.

US2 wrote: »

Well all I’m saying is if there are farmers out there who would love to meet someone and settle down but haven’t yet because the busy lifestyle makes it difficult and lack of social life then I would like to try and meet one of these people! If I end up with someone in a totally different profession I’ll be equally happy, I’m not that shallow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Well all I’m saying is if there are farmers out there who would love to meet someone and settle down but haven’t yet because the busy lifestyle makes it difficult and lack of social life then I would like to try and meet one of these people! If I end up with someone in a totally different profession I’ll be equally happy, I’m not that shallow!

There used to be a website for people with country interests called muddymatches.com
    Also whatever country pursuits you might be into or otherwise in your local area is a good start. Macra can be waste of time if you're over 25, and it attracts a kind of a safe crowd which you may or may not fit in with.
    Best of luck out there, stay classy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I reckon an ad in the journal would be worth the price of it .
    Macra meetings and outings are brilliant for people to mingle
    What do you work at and could you spare a bit of time to work a saturday in the office of a mart or volunteer at any local agricultural show ?
    Out of interest what are the attractions to pairing up with a farmer ?

US2 wrote: »

I can't help thinking this is a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

1 word: Macra

The largest dating agency in the country. I added up 40+ Marriages I could think of that started trough Macra and I’ve been to 2 more Macra weddings since then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Do you know single farmers scarce enough around here.get a job in vets mart coop but definitely not pub or machine dealer s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Ok so I’ve gone incognito as I’ve a few posts on my other account that identify who I am and wanted to start on a fresh slate! So since I was small I’ve always wanted marry a farmer but alas it hasn’t happened and at mid 30s it may never! But I am giving it another go, I am on the usual apps POF and tinder but they just seem to be time wasters these days and I’ve only ever met up with two people from either after hours of pointless scrolling and a lot of pointless messages! Tried a different dating site dedicated to farmers but it’s a paid one so not sure if there are many on it these days when there are lots of free sites available. I am not a farmer myself so I’m not regularly hanging around marts or anything like that and I live in a large enough town, closest city being Dublin… I saw a post a few days ago about farming men in their forties who never found anyone as the lifestyle isn’t the most sociable and it got me thinking, life is too short to hang around waiting for things to happen, so any ideas?!

im sure you would get more farmer's on grinder they dont have much time for romance and most would ride anything

Advertisement