Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmer Pastimes

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

When I was in College there was this communications lecturer who told us that the most important thing we should do in life, is only surround us with people who wanted the best for us. I thought it a strange thing to say. Your friends are your friends after all. You take the good with the bad. It always stuck in my mind.
    The older I get, the more I realise how right she is. I have met some serious poisonous people, a lot of them relatives. I cut them out completely and I'm a lot better for it. I confronted one in a rage one night out drinking. I had enough of his snide remarks and the guy broke down in tears in front of me.

A lot of people here mentioning drink too. I don't drink at all now. Not that I ever had a problem but I got to a point where I just didn't bother anymore. Terrible to see lads I knew growing up completely destroyed from drink. If you think you are any way prone to depression, avoid it like the plague. I saw the writer Stefanie Preissner say this on the Brendan O'Connor show one night and she got a huge round of applause from the audience. Irish society is changing. Coffee shops are taking over from the pubs.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Parishlad wrote: »
    I'm lucky in that my workplace has a gym so I tend to go down pretty much every day at lunch. Well, that was until about a week ago...have since slipped a disc in my lower back and the pain down my leg is cruel so I'm out of action for a bit.
    I took up running after my hurling career ended. Never saw myself as a runner but I have to say that it is great for body and mind. I believe that exercise of any sort is great but getting out for a run I find is fantastic for clearing the head. Long distance running will teach you a thing or two about yourself also!
    I rarely drink these days, time is too precious to be spending a day feeling sorry for myself with a hangover and the kids take no prisoners.
    Used to play golf but will only play once or twice a year now. Played a lot of squash when younger and this is actually something I would love to get back in to.
    My girls have started playing some music so I'm finding that my tin whistle career is taking off again.....can play a mean 'Mary had a little lamb'! :D

When you go back keep away from the threadmill, threadmills and back problems are not compatible. Get a stretching routine as well 10-15 minutes 3 times a week

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

When I was in College there was this communications lecturer who told us that the most important thing we should do in life, is only surround us with people who wanted the best for us. I thought it a strange thing to say. Your friends are your friends after all. You take the good with the bad. It always stuck in my mind.
    The older I get, the more I realise how right she is. I have met some serious poisonous people, a lot of them relatives. I cut them out completely and I'm a lot better for it. I confronted one in a rage one night out drinking. I had enough of his snide remarks and the guy broke down in tears in front of me.

A lot of people here mentioning drink too. I don't drink at all now. Not that I ever had a problem but I got to a point where I just didn't bother anymore. Terrible to see lads I knew growing up completely destroyed from drink. If you think you are any way prone to depression, avoid it like the plague. I saw the writer Stefanie Preissner say this on the Brendan O'Connor show one night and she got a huge round of applause from the audience. Irish society is changing. Coffee shops are taking over from the pubs.
    Coming from a family that has a long history of drinking problems I agree that some people are definitely better off to give it a miss. Not sure society has changed for the better though. Cocaine use is rampant around here in the 18-35 age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Coming from a family that has a long history of drinking problems I agree that some people are definitely better off to give it a miss. Not sure society has changed for the better though. Cocaine use is rampant around here in the 18-35 age group.

Not sure coffee shops have made any inroads in rural iteland, the towns maybe...

Cocaine is rampant all right, was surprised how accessible it is, and how many people would take it on a night out...

There would be a history in my family too Limestone, and I can see it in myself unfortunately. I don’t drink much now, but if I got the taste of it at all, it wouldn’t do me til I got proper drunk... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

When you go back keep away from the threadmill, threadmills and back problems are not compatible. Get a stretching routine as well 10-15 minutes 3 times a week

They actually run yoga and Pilates classes at work. Not exactly my style but I might give it a go....just not sure how I'd look in yoga pants! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

They actually run yoga and Pilates classes at work. Not exactly my style but I might give it a go....just not sure how I'd look in yoga pants! :D:D

Throw up a picture here and we won't be long telling you! I know I'd put a quare stretch on yoga pants if I got into them haha

That crap saying that you can pick your friends but not your family is totally wrong. There are a few of mine that I wouldn't spit on if they were on fire, and they would return the favour. Better off cutting family members out if ye don't get on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭endainoz

Music is probably a big pasttime of mine, love going to gigs and attending festivals during the summer.

Have spent the last few years trying to learn mandolin, not to play in sessions or anything just for myself really. Would love to upgrade from a poor player to a mediocre player this winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is cocaine expensive? I know nothing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

God u are lucky. A T shirt and a pair of sports shorts is all you need. Forget the leotard.... for everyone's sake! :D

I suffered shocking the last 2years with discs in my lower back and sciatica down my left ass cheek and leg. Twas like gremlins inside me at one stage with the spasms.

Anyways when it eased down l decided to take up the advice givien to me by a Doctor some time ago to consider taking up yoga. I thought it was a load of muckology but it really has turned out to be totally different to what l had imagined and something l will be continuing with longterm.

There would be a good scatter of men doing it aswell as women. Women wearing tight figure hugging attire. Some of the Polish women....omg.... tis sinful..... sometimes my eyes stray from the mirror..... but l digress..

Great for the back. Most people in the class have an injury background of some kind. Has helped strengthen all my back muscles and l definitely don't get as many or as severe bouts of back pain. I would highly recommend. Also has acted as great physio for my shoulder injury from almost a year ago.

There is a vet in our group. He's well into his 50s and as supple as an elastic band. Put me to shame. But he at it a long time.

A co ordinated stretching class in 40*C high humidity heat is how l would best describe the bikram yoga class I do.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is cocaine expensive? I know nothing about it

Not an expert but a lads working in Construction a few years ago said that two lads that go out together would spend 150-180 on it for Friday and Saturday night between them to sort out there nasel issues..

It seems it was 80-90 euro for the silver bullet. There was enough for two lads fir a single night. Expensive habbit you can only hope none of your are stupid enough to start that sh!t

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Muckit wrote: »
    God u are lucky. A T shirt and a pair of sports shorts is all you need. Forget the leotard.... for everyone's sake! :D

I suffered shocking the last 2years with discs in my lower back and sciatica down my left ass cheek and leg. Twas like gremlins inside me at one stage with the spasms.

Anyways when it eased down l decided to take up the advice givien to me by a Doctor some time ago to consider taking up yoga. I thought it was a load of muckology but it really has turned out to be totally different to what l had imagined and something l will be continuing with longterm.

There would be a good scatter of men doing it aswell as women. Women wearing tight figure hugging attire. Some of the Polish women....omg.... tis sinful..... sometimes my eyes stray from the mirror..... but l digress..

Great for the back. Most people in the class have an injury background of some kind. Has helped strengthen all my back muscles and l definitely don't get as many or as severe bouts of back pain. I would highly recommend. Also has acted as great physio for my shoulder injury from almost a year ago.

There is a vet in our group. He's well into his 50s and as supple as an elastic band. Put me to shame. But he at it a long time.

A co ordinated stretching class in 40*C high humidity heat is how l would best describe the bikram yoga class I do.

Thanks Muckit. That's the kind of input I need to get me to sign up. It really is a great benefit to be able to do these classes at work. I'd never get the time outside of work.
    I know what you mean about the distractions though. a set of blinkers might be called for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Thanks Muckit. That's the kind of input I need to get me to sign up. It really is a great benefit to be able to do these classes at work. I'd never get the time outside of work.
    I know what you mean about the distractions though. a set of blinkers might be called for. :)

Bit like the Eric prydz call on me video ha. But yeh I do alot of hip/back/core work for athletics also, pilates and strength and conditioning classes are fairly similar alternatives to yoga and worth doing if you can't find a yoga class that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not an expert but a lads working in Construction a few years ago said that two lads that go out together would spend 150-180 on it for Friday and Saturday night between them to sort out there nasel issues..

It seems it was 80-90 euro for the silver bullet. There was enough for two lads fir a single night. Expensive habbit you can only hope none of your are stupid enough to start that sh!t

It's at an unreal scale across every social divide, tbh you'd be worried for teenagers starting to go out in that enviroment. Went out on a quiet Thurs in the summer to meet with two lads from college, went to a big enough pub in town but was fairly quiet, and there was still a queue for the jacks in the men's. And it's the same most nights, lads queuing up to use the stalls in the jacks and urinals free, they didn't all ate a bad curry that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Timmaay wrote: »
    Bit like the Eric prydz call on me video ha. But yeh I do alot of hip/back/core work for athletics also, pilates and strength and conditioning classes are fairly similar alternatives to yoga and worth doing if you can't find a yoga class that suits.

Gave up football a couple of years ago after hurting the knee and spending 7 weeks like a prick hobbling around the farm, still was prob one of the worst decisions I made giving it up. Hope to start some strength training this winter at a gym so as to have a schedule and some idea of what I'll be at for the spring when I may not have time to go to town and could just use the gaa gym if I get a chance. Need to get some sort of exercise back into the routine

• Registered Users Posts: 21,146 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's one of the best pieces of advice Patsy, if you're any way prone to depression stay away from the grog. Really compounds it.
    If you're not the type to be running up mountains, a walk most days will help immensely, even if you don't feel like it. It might be you take the children to some activity. Whilst there at that, go for your walk.

Mooooo wrote: »
    It's at an unreal scale across every social divide, tbh you'd be worried for teenagers starting to go out in that enviroment. Went out on a quiet Thurs in the summer to meet with two lads from college, went to a big enough pub in town but was fairly quiet, and there was still a queue for the jacks in the men's. And it's the same most nights, lads queuing up to use the stalls in the jacks and urinals free, they didn't all ate a bad curry that's for sure.

Huge amount of powder around nowadays . I believe its about 70 squids for a bag whatever that holds . I see a mate of mine is buying two now for a weekend if he is going out and he keeps a bit to have him right for work monday morning .
    I reckon it will end up ruining families the as prolific as the drink did

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Hit the gym about 12 months ago, doing a mixture of circuit and PT classes and more recently just weights sessions. Lost over two stone so far, really changed the way I look as well. Big change in core strength which has strengthened up my back which wouldn't be great anyways.

I find it unbelievable for the mind and would come home buzzing after it. A great outlet too in the locality, with no one safe in the circuit classes you'd have to be on your toes!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'm very thankful to everyone for there input and reading the various replies has opened my eyes to possibilities that I'd never have even considered otherwise. The suggestion of writing lists sounds like a very constructive means of keeping track of and organizing everything. I've started some small steps towards righting various stuff that's gone wrong and I do feel better already if I'm honest, it's only the very beginning but I am more optimistic.

There's been a few key thing's highlighted that I can relate to, namely alcohol, relationships and the need for a social life outside of farming/day job. I don't drink much anymore and never had a problem personally although other family members have and continue to do. Drinking and depression are definitely a slippery slope imo and therefore I avoid it almost entirely not that I have anything against anyone else drinking within reason. Secondly relationships both good and bad have a massive bearing on everyone. I personally think life's to short for bad one's so cutting contact although a last resort is a better option than suffering in silence. It's only recently that I learned of the importance of a social life outside of the daily grind, I tend to get very caught up in work and farming especially seeing as there both related. As a result of this there's very little time for anything or anyone else and it's very isolating although it's taken me along time to connect up the dots as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,146 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Albert, a bit of advice, which I am very bad at following myself, is to go to bed reasonably early to get a good rest.
    Someone said, an hour's sleep before midnight is worth two after it.
    Best wishes, you have already got put a core structure in place for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Water John wrote: »
    Albert, a bit of advice, which I am very bad at following myself, is to go to bed reasonably early to get a good rest.
    Someone said, an hour's sleep before midnight is worth two after it.
    Best wishes, you have already got put a core structure in place for yourself.

Thanks John, I'm a bit of a night owl alright and it does tend to drag you down after awhile. It's a lack of self discipline I suppose, will power is another subject I need to brush up on.

I'm very thankful to everyone for there input and reading the various replies has opened my eyes to possibilities that I'd never have even considered otherwise. The suggestion of writing lists sounds like a very constructive means of keeping track of and organizing everything. I've started some small steps towards righting various stuff that's gone wrong and I do feel better already if I'm honest, it's only the very beginning but I am more optimistic.

There's been a few key thing's highlighted that I can relate to, namely alcohol, relationships and the need for a social life outside of farming/day job. I don't drink much anymore and never had a problem personally although other family members have and continue to do. Drinking and depression are definitely a slippery slope imo and therefore I avoid it almost entirely not that I have anything against anyone else drinking within reason. Secondly relationships both good and bad have a massive bearing on everyone. I personally think life's to short for bad one's so cutting contact although a last resort is a better option than suffering in silence. It's only recently that I learned of the importance of a social life outside of the daily grind, I tend to get very caught up in work and farming especially seeing as there both related. As a result of this there's very little time for anything or anyone else and it's very isolating although it's taken me along time to connect up the dots as it were.

I know its hard to do when you are so caught up in it but I love getting away from the farm and all things farming related for a few days a few times a year. I'd be like a new man after it. I play football, astro turf in winter and go to the gym a few nights a week in winter too. The group of us that play astro turf would organise go karting a few times a year and we all went out to lamma show for 2 days last January. Was out of the country 5 times I think in the last 12 months. The cows were always there when I got back!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I know its hard to do when you are so caught up in it but I love getting away from the farm and all things farming related for a few days a few times a year. I'd be like a new man after it. I play football, astro turf in winter and go to the gym a few nights a week in winter too. The group of us that play astro turf would organise go karting a few times a year and we all went out to lamma show for 2 days last January. Was out of the country 5 times I think in the last 12 months. The cows were always there when I got back!

Sorry LC, but I had to laugh at your last line and you after telling us they broke out yesterday after weaning. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Sorry LC, but I had to laugh at your last line and you after telling us they broke out yesterday after weaning. :D

He only said he cows were there he never mentioned the weanlings

Slava Ukrainii

:D it was my own place they broke into for what it's worth.

He only said he cows were there he never mentioned the weanlings

They are in the farm account and I don't think any amount of fencing will keep them there :rolleyes:

Advertisement