Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmer Pastimes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ha, I won’t lie Walter - when I was reading about the lads running down mountains, and the possible injuries... I was thinking ‘FFS, that’s pure silliness!’ ;)

But you’re right, each to their own... :)

I will admit, farming is kinda my pastime - and I don’t get a whole pile of time at it. With work and then kids, I don’t know how lads fit in the time - fair play to ye...
    I wouldn’t mind something else when I get the time, not sure what... no interest whatsoever in sports, or running down mountains... ;)
    But, I guess you have to make time for these things...

Us humans have evolved to feed off the adrinaline that allowed us to survive life or death situations, and simple as is some people nowadays need that more than others to allow them otherwise live a rational life.
    I've thrown myself off the side of 100s of mountains during what others would consider absolutely meaningless races, no broken bones, barely any notable falls 2bh, however loads of good memories, friends etc. I raced motocross before that, that did involve broken bones, nights in hospital, putting absolutely every penny I had towards it. I'm older and maybe wiser now, but I still don't regret one single day or penny spent at it 2bh (instead I'm getting my road bike licence at the min, another chapter for me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Timmaay wrote: »
    Us humans have evolved to feed off the adrinaline that allowed us to survive life or death situations, and simple as is some people nowadays need that more than others to allow them otherwise live a rational life.
    I've thrown myself off the side of 100s of mountains during what others would consider absolutely meaningless races, no broken bones, barely any notable falls 2bh, however loads of good memories, friends etc. I raced motocross before that, that did involve broken bones, nights in hospital, putting absolutely every penny I had towards it. I'm older and maybe wiser now, but I still don't regret one single day or penny spent at it 2bh (instead I'm getting my road bike licence at the min, another chapter for me!)

Oh, as said above - each to their own Tim...

I am not sure you’ll be convincing me to throw myself off mountains, but if others want to do it fair enough... ;)

I remember watching a show about the Yorkshire dales a while back, and there was two lads mountain running. Now, the place they were running was the very peak of the mountain, and one wrong step would have put them over the side, and I don’t know if it would have stopped at just broken bones...
    So that’s what I think of when someone says mountain running - but I accept that maybe the more extreme end of it.

I suppose I could say why do something so dangerous for kicks, but we all farm here (some of us do it more as a hobby) And tisnt as if farming is the safest occupation... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I forgot about the auld horse-riding! Though as I don't have one of my own right now the tack is languishing in the attic.

If we're on about weird ones I used to be mad into rock climbing. Dalkey, Glendalough, Mournes etc, even went to the Alps one year. Got a bad doing on one incident & even though I climbed the same route the following year, I never went back to it.

Love cooking as well, though now I live by myself it's not so much fun :(

Cooking for one is a chore

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The most interesting aspect is that it has no referee. Totally self refereed.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any sport without a referee. Or at least someone with the final say.
    How does it work out? The buck must stop somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Muckit wrote: »
    I've taken up bikram yoga in the last few months and find it very good for my back and my head!

What activity do you like to engage in as a pastime?

Up at the crack of dawn to milk cows to drive daughter to work for 8.30 after she comes home she must be driven to the gym 5 nights a week by the time I get home its almost time for bed. I wish I'd time for a past time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Up at the crack of dawn to milk cows to drive daughter to work for 8.30 after she comes home she must be driven to the gym 5 nights a week by the time I get home its almost time for bed. I wish I'd time for a past time.

Looks like driving is your pastime! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sounds hectic. Do you feel stressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'd be getting her a bit of a home gym or a car for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'd be getting her a bit of a home gym or a car for Christmas!

Or a boyfriend

He could do evening milkings aswell. Win. Win.

• Advertisement

I was going to say two birds. One stone.

But in this case it's 1 bird and 2 stones :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I was going to say two birds. One stone.

But in this case it's 1 bird and 2 stones :D

Unless your mr bullocks.^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Unless your mr bullocks.^^^

I mightnt be able to do any harm but I still get the odd notion!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Off the top of my head I can't think of any sport without a referee. Or at least someone with the final say.
    How does it work out? The buck must stop somewhere?

Golf is pretty much self refereed.

It actually works. Players quickly realize thatwhen there is no referee to cod that they are only coding themselves.

If I call a foul on you you can accept it or if not we can discuss for a minute. Then either accept or I realize I was wrong and withdraw it or it’s contested and it goes back to the last throw.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bullocks wrote: »
    I mightnt be able to do any harm but I still get the odd notion!

Sometimes a notion is worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Who2

Honestly speaking I currently have no time for pastimes. I’m self employed, I’ve young kids, renovating a house and all the messing in between means getting into the mart for a half hour here and there is about the height of it for me. Farming for me is about as close to a pastime as it gets. But I doubt I’d have it any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Who2 wrote: »
    Honestly speaking I currently have no time for pastimes. I’m self employed, I’ve young kids, renovating a house and all the messing in between means getting into the mart for a half hour here and there is about the height of it for me. Farming for me is about as close to a pastime as it gets. But I doubt I’d have it any other way.

Farming is a great pastime when it’s going well but a terrible millstone if it’s not.

At least if you have something else it should remain interesting when farming is going through a hard period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Who2

_Brian wrote: »
    Farming is a great pastime when it’s going well but a terrible millstone if it’s not.

At least if you have something else it should remain interesting when farming is going through a hard period.

I’m farming in my own right around 10 years and I’ve yet to see an easy period. It’s like therapy when I get in around the cattle even when doing the likes of dosing or dehorning, there’s a satisfaction even if your bruised and covered in sh1te. Then there’s the five minutes daydreaming about what calf what cow will have and what you’ll put on her next year. The temptation to buy that nice heifer even if it doesn’t make sense at silly money. But I don’t really drink anymore so use that as an excuse in my own head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I’m farming in my own right around 10 years and I’ve yet to see an easy period. It’s like therapy when I get in around the cattle even when doing the likes of dosing or dehorning, there’s a satisfaction even if your bruised and covered in sh1te. Then there’s the five minutes daydreaming about what calf what cow will have and what you’ll put on her next year. The temptation to buy that nice heifer even if it doesn’t make sense at silly money. But I don’t really drink anymore so use that as an excuse in my own head.
    That's sort of the way I feel when feeding/rearing calves. The noise of them when they hear the milk mixer turned on and it increases to a crescendo when they see the blue teat feeders but then quietness as they lie down to sleep with full bellies - simple stuff but for me it's satisfaction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Reading this thread has opened my eyes to how mundane my every day existence is. I've fall into a rut lately and it's having a negative impact on my health and well-being. There's been a few fairly major changes for the worse recently in my life and again I don't know where to turn. A lot of it is my own doing through isolating myself from my problems and it's really weighing me down. I feel like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde most of the time as it's like being 2 different people. I'd love to be able to be able to involve myself in something different with new opportunities but I'm at loss as too how to succeed.

• Advertisement

This is one of the reasons l started this thread! Life can be hectic and tis good to get a bit of downtime to yourself if only for a little while to recharge the batteries.
    If a person is happy with the status quo then why change it, if not, tis good to get a few ideas on other interests to take up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think you have identified that there is a problem Albert. For it to change in a positive way, requires action, by you. If necessary engage with a professional or a close friend.
    The one action I found very beneficial is, to write it down. That in some way unloads your mind, it's objective on paper. Also use to do lists to structure things.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Mending collapsed dry stone walls. Watching the clouds. Listening to the wind (or the silence!) Spinning and weaving on winter evenings whilst listening to Radio 4 or Radio 3. Himalayian overtone chanting. Devising cruel and unusual penalties for drivers with trailers who pull out in front of me and toddle along at 50 in the 100 Km zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

I bought a r6 the Easter bank holiday and she gets a blast most Sunday mornings, shel probably be housed now for the winter. That’s really my only past time between it work, the farm and the girlfriend!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Water John wrote: »
    I think you have identified that there is a problem Albert. For it to change in a positive way, requires action, by you. If necessary engage with a professional or a close friend.
    The one action I found very beneficial is, to write it down. That in some way unloads your mind, it's objective on paper. Also use to do lists to structure things.
    Best of luck.
    Best decision I made after my marriage break up was to talk to a counsellor. It was several years after the break up and only for my best friend's constant encouragement I doubt I would have gone cause I thought that I was OK - but I wasn't. At that time I was so focused on the wellbeing of my two young sons and making sure that they were OK that I lost myself in the emotional and legal ordeal iykwim.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

This is one of the reasons l started this thread! Life can be hectic and tis good to get a bit of downtime to yourself if only for a little while to recharge the batteries.
    If a person is happy with the status quo then why change it, if not, tis good to get a few ideas on other interests to take up.

Was thinking of this thread last night. Finished milking at 5.30pm. Did 5 trips in and out to local town between that and 9.30pm. My pastime is being a taxi service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Reading this thread has opened my eyes to how mundane my every day existence is. I've fall into a rut lately and it's having a negative impact on my health and well-being. There's been a few fairly major changes for the worse recently in my life and again I don't know where to turn. A lot of it is my own doing through isolating myself from my problems and it's really weighing me down. I feel like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde most of the time as it's like being 2 different people. I'd love to be able to be able to involve myself in something different with new opportunities but I'm at loss as too how to succeed.

I had very similar thinking about a year ago.

Found a local psychologist online and made an appointment. I think I've seen him 6 or 7 times in the last year.

An upshot and main recommendation.... get back exercising.

I was a serious competitor at kayaking till early 30s. Don't have time for that now but chose to go for a couple of these adventure races. Had to train 3 or 4 times a week.

He also pointed out that I essentially had no social life. This I have yet to address fully.

Feel 10 times better since I went to him. Not needed to go back since august.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Been in a few men’s sheds through work and have to say they are great crack and it’s a place for everyone, no matter if you have skills or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Try to go to the gym/pool twice s week. Do s bit of walking as well. Have a stretching routine as well. Involved in the local GAA dual club and a selector on the football the for last two year's.

Go for a few pints 1-2 times a week. I am lucky as I have a very positive attitude. It alway a case of if something happens it for a reason. If you always see a glass as half full as opposed to half empty life is a way easier.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

I'm lucky in that my workplace has a gym so I tend to go down pretty much every day at lunch. Well, that was until about a week ago...have since slipped a disc in my lower back and the pain down my leg is cruel so I'm out of action for a bit.
    I took up running after my hurling career ended. Never saw myself as a runner but I have to say that it is great for body and mind. I believe that exercise of any sort is great but getting out for a run I find is fantastic for clearing the head. Long distance running will teach you a thing or two about yourself also!
    I rarely drink these days, time is too precious to be spending a day feeling sorry for myself with a hangover and the kids take no prisoners.
    Used to play golf but will only play once or twice a year now. Played a lot of squash when younger and this is actually something I would love to get back in to.
    My girls have started playing some music so I'm finding that my tin whistle career is taking off again.....can play a mean 'Mary had a little lamb'! :D

Advertisement